Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aargh!! rashes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mentioned in another thread of mine about my stress levels bringing my rashes out bad.

I hadnt had a proper breakout for a few months, and when i did get one i would apply my steroid cream twice a day for a few days and it would go.

But now the little rash bits are doubling by the day. It just took me 15 minutes to apply cream to each little bit and it doesnt seem to be making the slightest bit of difference

The doctors is fully booked for ages and i think i might actually rip my own skin off before then if i cant find a way of controlling it.

Im so itchy, my entire front and back are almost covered in 20p sized scaly raised bits. I lost count when i got to over 50. This morning some appeared all over my face and neck too, one is on my eyelid, i even have them on my nipples ffs :crying: Im constantly covered in steroid cream, and its so difficult to reach the ones on my back and i have nobody here who i would be comfortable applying it for me (im sure my male housemates dont want to apply cream to my scaly rashes)

This is actually completely doing my head in, and as im getting more stressed about it more are appearing, if anyone knows of anything which might help until i can get to the doctors it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    i have no constructive comments whatsoever. i just wanted to say *hugs* that sounds awful. hope you feel better soon
  • Options
    get an emergency appointment at your doctors.
  • Options
    I think i had what you have.

I went through a period of being really stressed and one day i woke up and i had red scaly patches all over my front and back and the doctor said it was viral psoriasis?

Tried E45 cream?
  • Options
    You should try a tanning booth, the UV light is supposed to help- my housemate suffers from the same thing and she says this really helps her skin
  • Options
    what?! exposing herself to potentially damaging UV rays is going to help?

i suffer with excema which i generally get when i'm tired as my immune system is down etc.

get to the doctors!
  • Options
    lau wrote:
    You should try a tanning booth, the UV light is supposed to help- my housemate suffers from the same thing and she says this really helps her skin

Yes i went to America where it was like well sunny and hot and it totally cleared up.

Edit: The sunlight does help, not recommended you full on burn though.
  • Options
    Sounds like you've got what my friend has. She did sunbeds, and in fact UV did help clear them up. The steroid cream she was put on certainly did fuck all to help her. She's now been put on something stronger, I'll find out what she's got and what meds she's on if you like and pm them to ya.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Yes i went to America where it was like well sunny and hot and it totally cleared up.

:yes:

My brother suffers from psoriasis and while it's obviously not ideal for obvious reasons, his skin is always 10000x better if he goes in a tanning booth or spends time in a sunny climate.

That's not to say go and bake yourself in a tanning salon, but it is possible it could give you some relief.

Otherwise I second the E45 recommendation, or alternatively your basic Nivea cream. Both excellent.
  • Options
    I took Vitamin B capsules for a while, and it seemed to be better then. Not sure if that was purely coincidental but seeing as the steroid stuff i have tends not to work, somethings gotta be doing something!
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Have you thought about buying a lotion you can put in the bath? At least then it can get to all the right places and hopefully ease your discomfort..
  • Options
    Wow, lots of replies

Im going to phone up the doctors again next week and insist that someone see's me. Thing is the doctors im registered at is only open 3 days a week. I may even change, its crap.

Im not stepping foot in a tan bed!

Unfortunatly i used E45 on it ages ago before i got given the steroid cream and it made it worse

Its still driving me nuts and i woke up with even more this morning, mainly huge ones appearing on my back and now a new one under my left eye.....attractive :rolleyes: on and they are spreading further down my arms now and theres even a couple of my legs!
  • Options
    Pearly wrote:
    Have you thought about buying a lotion you can put in the bath? At least then it can get to all the right places and hopefully ease your discomfort..

Oilatum. When i got rashes as a kid my mum used to stick me in an oilatum bath.
  • Options
    I suffered from echzema so bad i couldnt use my hands (see moisturiser thread in style) so i would reccomend st ives collagen and elasticin. Moisturiser takes the dry skin away, but not the cause of it. Try eating less wheat and dairy, and lots of vegetables, that really helped me, also no sugar! Starflower oil is also amazing, take five a day, otherwise it doesnt help, and if they gave you e45 and hydrocortisone cream, then they are fobbing you off, cos e45 really doesnt help for echzema. And if you use hydrochortisone longer than a couple of weeks it thins your skin out really badly, and not so good when it is dry and damaged already. Steroids do help, but again they do not treat the cause.

If all else fails and you are feeling so itchy you want to die, put ice against the itchyness, and take a couple of antihistamine, which fights the imflammation which causes echzema - pyriton is good although it makes me very drowsy - i was totally out of it for two weeks last year on that stuff, but i just couldnt stand the itching. :(

But anyway good luck, and if it doesnt clear up go see a dermatologist and a homeopath the latter will probably treat the cause, and the former will treat the symptoms (big difference matey) :impissed: and i hope you get better soon! :thumb:
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    Oilatum. When i got rashes as a kid my mum used to stick me in an oilatum bath.

yup i used to have something like that, i think it's about £8 and you can get it from boots/tesco places like that.

i'd maybe wait and see what it is first - especially if e45 made it worse.

don't you have a local walk in doctors where you don't have to make an appointment? you could also try ringing NHS direct. and make sure you ring your docs first thing tomorrow morning!

eta: do you have sat nav?!
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    I suffered from echzema so bad i couldnt use my hands (see moisturiser thread in style) so i would reccomend st ives collagen and elasticin. Moisturiser takes the dry skin away, but not the cause of it. Try eating less wheat and dairy, and lots of vegetables, that really helped me, also no sugar! Starflower oil is also amazing, take five a day, otherwise it doesnt help, and if they gave you e45 and hydrocortisone cream, then they are fobbing you off, cos e45 really doesnt help for echzema. And if you use hydrochortisone longer than a couple of weeks it thins your skin out really badly, and not so good when it is dry and damaged already. Steroids do help, but again they do not treat the cause.

If all else fails and you are feeling so itchy you want to die, put ice against the itchyness, and take a couple of antihistamine, which fights the imflammation which causes echzema - pyriton is good although it makes me very drowsy - i was totally out of it for two weeks last year on that stuff, but i just couldnt stand the itching. :(

But anyway good luck, and if it doesnt clear up go see a dermatologist and a homeopath the latter will probably treat the cause, and the former will treat the symptoms (big difference matey) :impissed: and i hope you get better soon! :thumb:

I already use St. Ives body lotion and unfortunatly that doesnt help. I tried stopping using it too to see if it got better and it stayed the same.

As for anti-inflammitries (sp?!) good idea, i hadnt thought of that. I think i have some hayfever tablets somewhere so it cant hurt to take them for a few days and see what happens!

Lucifer, i dont know if theres any walk in places. Ive never actually had to go to the doctors here before. I just registered with one near to the student house i lived in last year. Whats sat nav got to do with it?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:

Lucifer, i dont know if theres any walk in places. Ive never actually had to go to the doctors here before. I just registered with one near to the student house i lived in last year. Whats sat nav got to do with it?

'cause i was stalking your car and noticed you had one of those things you stick your sat nav machine in! :p:lol:
  • Options
    'cause i was stalking your car and noticed you had one of those things you stick your sat nav machine in! :p:lol:

:lol: i was wondering what an earth that had to do with rashes!!

Yeh i have sat nav :cool:, you car stalker you (i stalk yours too ha, and it amuses me if i have to park next to it)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    :lol: i was wondering what an earth that had to do with rashes!!

Yeh i have sat nav :cool:, you car stalker you (i stalk yours too ha, and it amuses me if i have to park next to it)

a student with sat nav, hark at you!!

my car has really scratched wheel trims on one side. humph.

did you hear about the rapes that happened near by?
  • Options
    a student with sat nav, hark at you!!

my car has really scratched wheel trims on one side. humph.

did you hear about the rapes that happened near by?

:O :O no!?

Omg, where?

I got the satnav for my 21st Birthday because i have no sense of direction :)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    :O :O no!?

Omg, where?

I got the satnav for my 21st Birthday because i have no sense of direction :)

between peel street and portland street - my housemates heard about it off quite a few people.

btw, my mum's coming with an irish deerhound called alfie at some point this week. if you see her, don't let on that you know me. :p
  • Options
    between peel street and portland street - my housemates heard about it off quite a few people.

btw, my mum's coming with an irish deerhound called alfie at some point this week. if you see her, don't let on that you know me. :p

If its on friday then i'll be watching the consultation :cool:

Dont worry, i wont let on!
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    If its on friday then i'll be watching the consultation :cool:

Dont worry, i wont let on!

friday at 2pm!
  • Options
    friday at 2pm!

:D Did you originally plan to come last week but cancel? Cos apparantly someone cancelled so we had to do a student dog case instead for our practical!

Im looking forward to seeing the hooooge doggie!

This thread has gone off track so i'll just add that im still rashy
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    :D Did you originally plan to come last week but cancel? Cos apparantly someone cancelled so we had to do a student dog case instead for our practical!

Im looking forward to seeing the hooooge doggie!

This thread has gone off track so i'll just add that im still rashy

:lol: about the rashy bit. well not funny really, hope it's better soon. did you ring the docs?

no i don't think she would've cancelled it from last week as she was at work - could be wrong though.

he's a monster (as in big). we have 2 airedales and i thought they were big but he dwarfs them. he's 1 in april. he goes to obedience classes and once they had to all get in a line with their owners and this man stood behind my mum and said 'let's stand behind the horse' to his dog! and another old lady wanted to bring her camera in to take a picture.

the other day i caught him looking out of the port hole in our landing; he jumps up and puts his paws in and can look outside.

although he's big, he's very sweet. like a BFG. :D
  • Options
    :lol: about the rashy bit. well not funny really, hope it's better soon. did you ring the docs?

no i don't think she would've cancelled it from last week as she was at work - could be wrong though.

he's a monster (as in big). we have 2 airedales and i thought they were big but he dwarfs them. he's 1 in april. he goes to obedience classes and once they had to all get in a line with their owners and this man stood behind my mum and said 'let's stand behind the horse' to his dog! and another old lady wanted to bring her camera in to take a picture.

the other day i caught him looking out of the port hole in our landing; he jumps up and puts his paws in and can look outside.

although he's big, he's very sweet. like a BFG. :D

aww, most dogs are BFG's :yes: whats up with his behaviour anyway? i know i'll find out friday but im impatient!!
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    aww, most dogs are BFG's :yes: whats up with his behaviour anyway? i know i'll find out friday but im impatient!!

well it sounds daft - he's a good dog generally (apart from eating/chewing anything from cuckoo clock parts, slim fast powder (we didn't give him this, he stole it! ended up with the powder getting caked into his whiskers so he had to have his head held in a bowl of warm water to melt it), kitchen roll, pillows, teabags..the list is endless. my mum has to keep the kitchen immaculate 'cause if you leave anything on the work top he can reach up and devour it). thing is he wakes up at about 5-6am every day whining when he doesn't even want to go outside/doesn't need feeding yet. you can't even get up in the early hours and go to the toilet without him thinking ooh it's time to get up - let's howl the house down! my mum's an early riser anyway, it'd just be nice if we could teach him how to stay quiet for a bit longer like the other dogs. probably not a lot you can do but worth a try!

when he goes to obedience classes, he's exempt from having to sit as he can't properly without straining himself. bless him!
  • Options
    well it sounds daft - he's a good dog generally (apart from eating/chewing anything from cuckoo clock parts, slim fast powder (we didn't give him this, he stole it! ended up with the powder getting caked into his whiskers so he had to have his head held in a bowl of warm water to melt it), kitchen roll, pillows, teabags..the list is endless. my mum has to keep the kitchen immaculate 'cause if you leave anything on the work top he can reach up and devour it). thing is he wakes up at about 5-6am every day whining when he doesn't even want to go outside/doesn't need feeding yet. you can't even get up in the early hours and go to the toilet without him thinking ooh it's time to get up - let's howl the house down! my mum's an early riser anyway, it'd just be nice if we could teach him how to stay quiet for a bit longer like the other dogs. probably not a lot you can do but worth a try!

when he goes to obedience classes, he's exempt from having to sit as he can't properly without straining himself. bless him!

Plenty can be done for all that. Oo im looking forward to friday now, ive got all sorts of suggestions come into my head already :hyper: (that probably sounds really sad)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    Plenty can be done for all that. Oo im looking forward to friday now, ive got all sorts of suggestions come into my head already :hyper: (that probably sounds really sad)

ooh good! i did tell mum they'd best be able to help as it's £90 i think she said.

haha you'll be able to wow your teachery people with lots of info. and they won't know you knew a few days earlier.

i keep telling my mum our ancient airedale needs to go instead (she's 12 in april). she's going barmy. growls at nothing/alfie even when you just go near her!

anyway sorry i've kinda hijacked this thread. hope you have a nice time with alfie!