Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

NAT sessions on a router

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Right, i have a router/modem which connects to my internet, and i have 2 home computers that connect up to the router.

Thing is, all works fine and dandy without any NAT sessions or IP's entered, yet as shown in the attached picture, when i configure a NAT session, for both IP's of the home computers, everything still works fine, so looking at the attached image, what exactly am i doing by setting up a NAT session?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The router will most probably also be acting as a DHCP server - automatically assigning an IP address to the network interfaces that connect to it. If so, then it'll configure NAT dynamically each time a computer connects.
  • Options
    yes but the two computers connected have static IP's

10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4 respectively

so what if any difference does it make that i have a session configured?
    and assuming (as the case is) that both IP's are constant, then it shouldnt matter if i turn DHCP off should it? and that wouldnt have any adverse effect?

i could be wrong, but things seem to be running a little better
  • Options
    consult the documentation. God knows what crap they've tried to lump in to the NAT interface
  • Options
    the documentation tells me how to get the thing up and running, and how to change the settings if i want to, ie: by showing me screen shots, and vaguely what it does, it explains the terminology behind it

but doesnt actually have an FAQ with the answers for the specific questions im asking
  • Options
    Running a little better? Is something not working as it should?

If you want both computers to have static IP addresses, then disabling DHCP shouldn't give you any problems at all. If something isn't working as it should, then leave DHCP enabled and set the computers to request an automatic IP address.
  • Options
    one computer had a static ip set, the other didnt, ive set them both as static, and disabled dhcp, seems to be working swimmingly
  • Options
    Assuming you only have 1 external IP address then you'll be using NAT anyway. My guess would be that the configuration allows you to assign permanent routes, whereas if you leave it it assigns stuff dynamically.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Assuming you only have 1 external IP address then you'll be using NAT anyway. My guess would be that the configuration allows you to assign permanent routes, whereas if you leave it it assigns stuff dynamically.

yeh you are right, im guessing having permanent routes might mean the router runs a little more efficiently, and doesnt need restarting as much

though saying that, the one we have here goes 3/4 weeks without needing to be restarted, just to unclog it i think
  • Options
    Static routes are for setting up things like short fast routes from point to point, for skipping unwanted internet traffic, you should only need to restart your router if it acts up, mine hasnt gona donw in a while and it only did because there was blown fuse.
    Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    WAN PPPoA 33115 51418 0 743 14591 01:07:14
    LAN 10M/100M 104573903 104946903 0 148 370 1700:28:10
    WLAN 11M/54M 134202 92404 0 5392 408 07:25:22

there, it hasnt gone down in 1700 hours and 28 minutes thats about 70-71 days
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    yeh you are right, im guessing having permanent routes might mean the router runs a little more efficiently
    no, the more routes the router has, the less efficient it is - each packet has to be checked against the known routes before it can be sent out
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Unless I've misunderstood the problem, maybe the router has UPnP so it automatically opens up any ports you need?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Unless I've misunderstood the problem, maybe the router has UPnP so it automatically opens up any ports you need?

there be no UPnP :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ah.
  • Options
    what?! you have a router that doesnt have UPnP?!?! jesus, are you sure?! UPnP is pretty standard. If this routers causing alot of problem id say get a new one.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    what?! you have a router that doesnt have UPnP?!?! jesus, are you sure?! UPnP is pretty standard. If this routers causing alot of problem id say get a new one.
    First thing to do with a home appliance is turn the UPnP off
  • Options
    UPnP is useful to keep on, it allowns programs and devices to automatically map themselves.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    UPnP is useful to keep on, it allowns programs and devices to automatically map themselves.

Assuming you want such a facility.

My router has uPnP, and it's turned off. I've no particular desire for a program or thing to automatically add itself to a routing list for the outside world.
  • Options
    its handy for games and things, and consoles, mines enabled for my brothers 360 and the games i play.