Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Terrorists given laptops

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I read an article quickly at work today about terrorists in prison being given laptops to fight there case. There was outrage that they could contact terrorists groups and make plans.

It sounds like a daft decision but I didnt get the full story, perhaps someone could explain?

Comments

• Options
    Source?

Let me guess... It was in the Sun.
  • Options
    Source?

Let me guess... It was in the Sun.

lol, it could have been, i cant remember, maybe the mirror, i just saw the headline and a bit of the cover story
  • Options
    I caught the end of the story so there is something to it.

However, rather than suspects being given a top of the range laptop so they can set up their own terrorist website and communicate with Mr. bin Laden with free 8mb broadband, I believe they have been granted access to laptops for word processing and the management of their cases, due to the vast amount of paperwork they have to deal with and prepare.

Still, don't get the undiluted truth get in the way of a good story. The laptops will go nicely with the 42-inch LCD screen, multi-region DVD player, home theater system, state-of-the art hi-fi and personal jacuzzi every prisoner gets in our cozy prisons. ;)
  • Options
    The Daily Mirror

Madness. And people wonder why so many of us feel safer with terrorists locked up in Gitmo...
  • Options
    The Daily Mirror

Madness. And people wonder why so many of us feel safer with terrorists locked up in Gitmo...

I didn't realise the prisoners at Gitmo had been conviced of any crime or terrorist activity.

Not, for that matter, have the suspects who have been given the laptops.

The article is the usual load of half-baked rubbish and scaremongering. "I wouldn't be surprised if the prisoners can eventually make their own internet connections". Yeah right...

I don't think they should even be handed paper and biros, just in case they make a glider out of it and fly out of the window. Make them write on toilet paper using their own blood for ink I say!
  • Options
    Heaven forbid that those dirty pakis be given a fair trial!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

:confused: People need a £1,000 laptop to get a fair trial?

Are you accusing the Daily Mirror or myself of racism for disagreeing with handing out free laptops to terrorists?
  • Options
    Calling people terrorists when no evidence has ever been shown to prove such assertion smacks of a serious underlying racism which would not surprise me in the slightest, given your acknoweldge adherence to an extremist racist ideology.

But don't let a democratic principle such as "innocent until PROVEN guilty" stand in your way, dis.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:
    Quite my sentiment.
  • Options
    It's not like they get to take the laptop home with them is it? It's a resource that is owned by the prison, and can be reused for subsequent cases.
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of fuss over nothing - these people haven't yet been convicted of any crime, would anyone have objected if they'd been given typewriters?

And how would anybody go about creating their own internet connection in a prison cell? Sounds like that'd stump even MacGyver.
  • Options
    How would they smuggle CD-ROM's in or out of the jail?

How would they fashion their own internet connection in jail?
  • Options
    The shadowy Al Qaeda must now have awacs at their disposal.

Look out, they're filling the sky over Gitmo, eeeeeek!
  • Options
    The server probably has blocks on it. Also, I very much doubt that they could download a PGP encryption file and send emails, and without that protection, most groups or terrorist individuals wont bother.
  • Options
    :confused: People need a £1,000 laptop to get a fair trial?

They do when the evidence is electronic.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    They do when the evidence is electronic.
    exactly ...and yes you can smuggle more or less anything into and out of jail.
    yes they could make an internet connection using a smuggled mobile.

escape7bi.jpg