Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Passports

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
My passport runs out in feb 2007

but I'm sure I've seen written loads of times many countries won't let you travel on a passport that has less then 6 months left? Anyone kow if this is the case and if so which countries this applies to?

If so it mean I really only got 5 months left on my passport.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It applies to lots of countries so it is unlikely that anyone could list them all and not miss any out. You should check with the embassy of whichever country it is that you are considering going to.
  • Options
    You might be able to find out on this website click

But I believe it does apply to most countires.
  • Options
    I don't think you'll have much trouble in any country that you don't need a visa for, especially not if you've got a return ticket.

I've travelled between Canada on the US on an *expired* passport, but that was before 2001 and I suspect they might have tightened things up a little bit since.
  • Options
    My passport runs out in feb 2007

but I'm sure I've seen written loads of times many countries won't let you travel on a passport that has less then 6 months left? Anyone kow if this is the case and if so which countries this applies to?

If so it mean I really only got 5 months left on my passport.

Depends on the country. The US, for example, has an agreement with the UK so that we can use them up to the expiry, but Egypt would require you to have a clear 6 months left.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Depends on the country. The US, for example, has an agreement with the UK so that we can use them up to the expiry, but Egypt would require you to have a clear 6 months left.

How many people try to smuggle themselves into Egypt?
  • Options
    its more of a case so that you have time left on your passport when you smuggle yoruself out
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I don't think you'll have much trouble in any country that you don't need a visa for, especially not if you've got a return ticket.
    Well Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador don't require a visa for Brits on holiday but I'm sure they need 6th months on the passport. Cyprus definately used to but I've not been since 2002 so the rules might have changed.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    Totally depends on the country, the 6 months thing is a load of bollocks for most countries though

i.e. Spain - when they'll accept you on an expired passport up to 12 months :yeees:

yeh, but they got enough terrorist problems with ETA. so they dont really mind