Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anyone any good with car problems?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, my Vauxhall Nova is poorly, very poorly.

Dont compleatly follow everything thats wrong with her but can tell you what i do no.

Basically cant get the engine to fire, got compression on no1 cylinder, then moved forward to aline timing marks on crank shaft. According to a book on Nova's, the distributer roater should point to no1 lead, but its pointin to the no2 lead.
How do we correct this?

Plug leads have never been taken off, the engines turning but not firing, and fuel if deffinatly getting through (has been checked).

Can anyone please help, not driven my little car for weeks now and cant figure out whats wrong with her.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    MsMinxy wrote:
    Hey, my Vauxhall Nova is poorly, very poorly.

Dont compleatly follow everything thats wrong with her but can tell you what i do no.

Basically cant get the engine to fire, got compression on no1 cylinder, then moved forward to aline timing marks on crank shaft. According to a book on Nova's, the distributer roater should point to no1 lead, but its pointin to the no2 lead.
    How do we correct this?

Plug leads have never been taken off, the engines turning but not firing, and fuel if deffinatly getting through (has been checked).

Can anyone please help, not driven my little car for weeks now and cant figure out whats wrong with her.

thanks
    firstly,a compression check of all cylinders should be carried out.
    then check the valve timing.if thats ok then consider checking the ignition timing.
    if the cam belt has jumped you could be in deep shit,so do that first.
    to set the ignition timing,turn the engine clockwise until the marks on the crank line up....it should be at tdc{top dead center) on no1,the rotor arm should then be pointing at no 1 cylinder with the cap removed....jobs a good un!! :)
  • Options
    oh i forgot,make sure you have a spark....vauxhalls of that age suffer from trigger box failure....looking at your problem though,i think the cam belt has either jumped or come off alltogether.
  • Options
    ^Wot he said :). Other things to consider:-

Have you heard this engine running? If so, what have you done since it last worked?
    Is the dizzy cap on the right way? Any chance the rotor arm isn't correctly lined up?
    Are the plug leads connected in the correct order?
    Are you sure that cylinder 1 is where you think it is? You're not looking at cylinder 4? ;)

If you're sure the timing is correct, the pull the sparkies out and crank the engine over on the starter. It should give a very smooth rotation, with no tapping, bumping, struggling, etc.

Does the rotor arm rotate when the engine is cranked? I've seen a cam break half-way down it's length, which stops the dizzy from turning at all...

Best of luck :).
  • Options
    ok, will give that a go. shes 17years old, lived in a garage for all her life up until last year when i got her from my aunt who decided that at 80 odd she should stop driving! Was all going well until few weeks ago now she won't recover.
  • Options
    Cant for the life of me think of the part i had replaced when mine was being a twat and just not starting. probably irrelevant but its annoying that i cant think of the word!!
  • Options
    I had a Nova as my first car. I was 18, the car was 17. It was surprising good actually given that it only cost £250!
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I was 18, the car was 17.
    Haha. A perfect match!!
  • Options
    Haha. A perfect match!!
    :yes: it was good!
  • Options
    I hd a Nova, cost lots to keep it running, more than the car was worth. Sold it for £100 in the end, was worth nothing really.
  • Options
    :D ha he he lol... ur first problem b the car!.... soz just none match my baby! :p
  • Options
    What car you got Angel?? :)
  • Options
    :p i got me a street registered/drag car LH torana...with...a 383 chev in it...and... roll cage, 30 litre petrol tank in the boot -4 racing bastard 4 driving round she dont last long!- and many more goodies!...i fuckin love my car she is my baby! :p
  • Options
    :love: I think Im in :heart: with your car!! I am ashamed to admit I cannot drive but I've always had a passion for cars. Its all my dad's fault, he got me under bonets froma very young age! That motor sounds sweet gal! :D
  • Options
    angel24 wrote:
    :p i got me a street registered/drag car LH torana...with...a 383 chev in it...and... roll cage, 30 litre petrol tank in the boot -4 racing bastard 4 driving round she dont last long!- and many more goodies!...i fuckin love my car she is my baby! :p
    But can it turn a corner?
  • Options
    :p she is sweet! and dont worry i understand... im in love with her 2! :p
    and she does a sweet ...8.2 down the quarter...im telling ya thats fast
    best thing once i get her back 2 the pits and every1 is watching cos i just creamed em...out hops this little chick...it just makes it even sweeter :p
    live life a quarter mile at a time
  • Options
    I can just imagine hun. Sounds awesome!!! :cool:
  • Options
    :D ... :p
  • Options
    One of these :eek2:

orange_torana_lh_2.jpg

Nice and, erm old :p
  • Options
    yeah but a pure muscle machine... and at least she aint got all that computer crap under the hood she is pure horsepower!.. 893 rear horsepower... now thats serious power! :p
    and old dont make her it bad...oh and that slr is sweet -have that pic!- but mines better :p