Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smoking and driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, maybe all of us don't agree that it should be a criminal offence to use a mobile phone while driving. I don't really see the difference between this and smoking though. A smoker has to light a fag and put it out as well as smoking it, all instances requiring the drivers attention on the cig and not the road.

Surely if talking on a mobile phone is wrong, then smoking while driving should be a criminal offence also, don't you think?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think so, no. For starters most conversatons require extended periods of time using one of your hands away from the task of driving.

It is also a well known fact that a telephone conversation can be a very distracting factor. The combination of this and having only one hand available for driving make the practice highly dangerous.

Smoking only involves having your hand away for a few seconds. If we were to ban this on the basis that any distraction is too long and unacceptable, then we might as well ban manual cars with ordinary gear shifts, since they require taking your hand off the wheel.

Scratching your face, touching any of the car controls, opening a window, closing a ventilation or operating the radio would also have to be made illegal.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't think so, no. For starters most conversatons require extended periods of time using one of your hands away from the task of driving.

It is also a well known fact that a telephone conversation can be a very distracting factor. The combination of this and having only one hand available for driving make the practice highly dangerous.

Smoking only involves having your hand away for a few seconds. If we were to ban this on the basis that any distraction is too long and unacceptable, then we might as well ban manual cars with ordinary gear shifts, since they require taking your hand off the wheel.

Scratching your face, touching any of the car controls, opening a window, closing a ventilation or operating the radio would also have to be made illegal.

Fair point
  • Options
    smoking whilst driving can be very dangerous imo...when the end drops off down your bollocks....and your trying to get it out!.......did that sound rude???
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    smoking whilst driving can be very dangerous imo...when the end drops off down your bollocks....and your trying to get it out!.......did that sound rude???

Yes. :p

But I know what you mean, that's a really dangerous (and potentially painful) situation.

I smoke while I drive sometimes, I can definitely see why people would consider it dangerous but it's never hindered me. I tend to have the window down, too, so if I ever got into a precarious situation I'd just chuck the tab out and sort it. I also eat while I drive on occasion, what's the opinion on that then? On a tangent, cigarette lighters in the car are a godsend, much more simple than faffing about with matches or a lighter.

Just to be topical...what we should be discussing is the woman who was caught putting her make up on with both hands while "driving". Daft [not to mention irresponsible] cow. :yeees:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:

If they did that in the USA... would anyone notice?

But good point there. Smoking is hardly an engaging conversation, is it?
  • Options
    Funnily enough, the most dangerous thing is to sneeze. It's impossible to do that without closing your eyes...

Smoking is a risk, so is changing CDs, volume etc on the stereo. So is changing gears (which has already been mentioned). But hey, what's life without a little risk?
  • Options
    Sounds like a step too far to me - drinking and eating would have to be the next to go, especially hot drinks where there's the risk of drink-spillage causing a catastrophic diversion of attention.

If they're so serious about drivers keeping their attention 100% on the road, why don't they try and ban billboards and other roadside advertisements aimed at drivers?
  • Options
    I smoke when i'm driving an it does distract me. Once i burnt my leg and my instinct was to look down, looked up and i was on the other side of the road. Not good.
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Sounds like a step too far to me - drinking and eating would have to be the next to go, especially hot drinks where there's the risk of drink-spillage causing a catastrophic diversion of attention.
    There is already a ban in place regarding food and drink IIRC. There was a case one or two years ago of a woman who was fined for drinking water from a bottle while she was driving in slow city traffic. She didn't like it and went the press, and all the usual suspect newspapers (Mail, S*n, Express) kicked a fuss over it.

In fairness the fine was rather strict- the woman had just started moving was doing about 15mph in slow traffic- but you should not drink or eat at the wheel if the car is moving. We all do it to a degree of course, and having a sip of water while crawling is not quite the same as eating a cornish pasty at 70mph on the motorway.
  • Options
    It's very, very silly indeed.

For a start most people are in a trance while they drive, so the whole notion of not paying enough attention is bollocks. 90% of drivers are not even properly conscious, and a good thing it is too.