Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fizzy Drinks and asthma?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have noticed that any time I drink coke or lemonade my chest feels really tight and weezy afterwards, I have not had asthma long so I dont know if this is what is causing it, does this mean I have to avoid fizzy drinks?
thanks
xx Emz xx

Comments

• Options
    I don't know about any ill-effects suffered by asthmatics who drink fizzy drinks, but I wouldn't be too surprised. I know they've been found to cause heartburn, which could possibly be what you're experiencing, completely isolated from your asthma.

It's a good idea to avoid fizzy drinks as much as possible anyway, as they're not too great for you in general. But everything in moderation.
  • Options
    i have asthma, but have never heard of this, however id check with your GP as everybody's asthma is different
  • Options
    My pal cannot drink diluting orange juice otherwise he gets the symptoms of a mild asthma attack - could be related.
  • Options
    There's aspartame in diet drinks which apparently aggravates asthma - could that be it?
  • Options
    it could be the aspartame, that stuff is awfull. Check out the health problems associated with it, it's enough to put you off fizzy drinks for life!

Do they contain any ingrediant with benzoate, gultamate or phosphate? As these can aggravate asthma

Panthro, your freind may be sensitive to the aspartame too or the scalitites (bad sp, sorry) in the orange
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    There's aspartame in diet drinks which apparently aggravates asthma - could that be it?

Are you kidding me? Oh my god, my life makes so much more sense now.... I'm never drinking fizzy drinks again :eek2:
  • Options
    Anyone interested in the effects of aspartame should read this site http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html it's important to know thats it's not just in fizzy drinks either. Juices, sweets and even crisps have it in! while some fizzy drinks do not. 7up doesn't and I don't like pepsi does but diet drinks do as its a replacement for the sugar, but it truth it's far worse for you than sugar so your just as well drinking the regular drinks

my son has adhd, so food additives are something I've read a far bit about. SOme of what they do is terrible and yet its left to care on! my little brother was put of red sweets for life when he found out the colouring is made from a particular insect
  • Options
    Thanks, ive got an appointment at the asthma clinic on monday, so i will mention it then
  • Options
    probably just trapped wind
  • Options
    Fizzy Drinks & Asthma

I just typed in 'fizzy lemonade asthma' into Google search engine and came to this forum!

Last year I developed asthma for the first time in my life - I regularly play tennis outdoors and from March 2005 until mid-Summer I noticed that I was developing breathing problems, especially at night and during the early hours of the morning. My life became really disrupted when I found I was almost suffocating and went for drives at 2am to get my mind off my symptoms!
    It was like breathing through a straw; both in and out. I didn't seek medical attention until during one early morning (again around 2am) attack, I was almost suffocating and shaking trying to get dressed ... my heart rate was racing in panic and suddenly, I think due to an adrenalin rush - my airways relaxed and I had a reasonable ability to breathe. It took a second such attack a few mornings later which prompted me to drive to the A+E department at St. George's Hospital in Tooting.

During this last year I have used prescribed 'reliever' inhalers and also a 'preventer' inhaler which make a remarkable difference.

This last week I ran out of fruit juice - and picked up a 2L bottle of fizzy lemonade which someone had bought in a pack of six. (I never buy coke or lemonade) I finished this off in a couple of days and found that I was developing wheezing and breathing difficulties, whereas one puff of my 'preventer' inhaler can keep me going for up to 3 .. 4 weeks without even needing the 'instant reliever'. The lemonade definately had an effect - so much so, that I today typed in 'fizzy lemonade asthma' into Google, to see what would turn up!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Matt,
    Welcome to TheSite - I'm afraid only moderators can delete posts.
    Hey and stick around - you might like it ;)
  • Options
    My mum is asthmatic and doesn't suffer the same problem, maybe you should consult your doctor.