Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Taking a round the world trip?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Any tips?

I'm in my 2nd year at uni and after finishing my degree next year, I want to go travelling for a year. I'm starting to plan it now as alot needs to be planned obviously.

I have a pretty good idea of where I want to travel to, but I've not decided anything for definate yet. I know that its going to cost me between £1000-£2000 for all the tickets though.

Now, the thing I want to know is, how much will I really need on top of that? I'm planning to get random jobs here and there to get me by and of course I'll be staying in hostels.

For those that have travelled, how much did you need, where did you travel and how long did you travel for?

Also, I want to travel alone but everyone I have spoke to about it has said its too dangerous to go on my own and it would be horrible to travel alone. Wouldn't this allow me to meet more people though and do what I want? None of my friends want to go travelling so how can I meet someone that will go travelling with me?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went travelling for 6 months by myself when I left school at 18. I don't think it's dangerous at all if you have the right mentality. Plus you're meeting people along the way all the time. You do have to be fairly confident and willing to talk to anyone though. Where do you want to go travelling? I went to America, New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Admittedly it was lonely in some places, I wouldn't recommend Fiji or Malaysia by yourself unless you do some kind of group trip like the Fiji Experience which isn't really my kind of thing. I used the train travel through Thailand and Malaysia and often I was the only tourist which was hard so I was definitely glad to have some company there.

If you're thinking of going to Oz I would recommend doing this one by yourself, I travelled with people for some of it but had a far more enjoyable time when I was free to do my own thing. In Oz you're constantly meeting people so it's easy. Thailand is fairly easy by yourself as well although it's less easy to stray from the beaten track by yourself.

Moneywise, it varies from person to person. I probably spent a couple of grand, not including the airfare. But I could have budgeted alot more than I did.
  • Options
    The only probelm with traveling the world is... where do you go next year?
  • Options
    i'm gona travel on my own. there are a couple of people who have now told me they might come with me but i actually don't really want them to..

also, i'm going to save at least 5000 pounds for the trip.

i graduate this july but i don't have a clue where i'm gona go and i don't think i'll start planning it until then either. but thats me.
  • Options
    Are you planning on travelling for a year lipsy? If so, are you going to get a job as £5000 doesn't seem enough in my eyes. I want at least £8000-£10,000 but then again, I'm planning on working in random places so I won't need that much probably.

I want to go on my own too but my parents are too happy about the idea.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Are you planning on travelling for a year lipsy? If so, are you going to get a job as £5000 doesn't seem enough in my eyes. I want at least £8000-£10,000 but then again, I'm planning on working in random places so I won't need that much probably.

i haven't got a clue! i will have more than 5000 coz i'm gona work for about 7months. it depends where you go tho, some countries are sooo cheap.
    and i don't know whether to work in oz for a year or just stay there as a tourist for a few months. endless possibilities which im not gona think about for a while yet.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    The only probelm with traveling the world is... where do you go next year?
    It's not as if you could possibly visit every country is it?
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:

It depends where and for how long you are planning on going, a full round the world trip with STA travel (the best people for those) isnt going to cost you much more than £1000.

Places like the Far East or Africa will be a lot cheaper than Auz or America.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    It depends where and for how long you are planning on going, a full round the world trip with STA travel (the best people for those) isnt going to cost you much more than £1000.

Places like the Far East or Africa will be a lot cheaper than Auz or America.

Yeah it cost me about 1200 with insurance etc. STA travel are pretty good, basically you tell them where you want to go, they'll help you decide if you're not sure, and they arrange all the flights and stuff. They're also quite flexible so you can move flights around if you want to stay somewhere a bit longer.
  • Options
    If you're wanting to go to Australia, Austravel are very good at getting cheap flight deals. The best time to fly to Oz is in late Feb/erarly March.

You need to have enough money to show you can support yourself, otherwise many countries won't let you in. Countries like Oz do special student visas where you can do seasonal and temporary work without needing a work permit.

I'd concentrate on one or two countries, not the whole world. Australia is wonderful for backpackers.
  • Options
    I travelled by myself for two months, and on the trip I met people who had been travelling for 6 to 12 months. They were travelling by themselves and they were quite OK. I loved to go by myself, its true what you say, you can meet more people and decide what to do on your own. At first it is kinda lonely, but you get used to it and then you appreciate your independence.

My advice is that if you're planning on a whole year trip, go alone, cause you'll be much more free. Plus imagine travelling with the same person for a whole year! It's like living with them, and when your on a budget, the fights that can rise are numerous. If you're alone than you can hook up with someone for a brief period of time - and then move on if you want.
  • Options
    im planning on going on a round the world trip once i grauate too :) (albeit in 2 and a bit years time!!)

at the moment it seems likely that i will go 6 months around far east (thailand, aus, malaysia etc) before heading to india for 3 months there (LOVE india!) :) i also recently found a site that offers placements with elephant conservation in sri lanka so i reeally want to do that too!!!

when i told some mates about this idea there were one or two who seemed interested, but im not totally sure if i want people with me either!! maybe for the part around the far east, but definately not at the placement!!

i cant wait :D
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    My advice is that if you're planning on a whole year trip, go alone, cause you'll be much more free. Plus imagine travelling with the same person for a whole year! It's like living with them, and when your on a budget, the fights that can rise are numerous. If you're alone than you can hook up with someone for a brief period of time - and then move on if you want.

I can see your point, but it totally depends, I went for 5 months with one mate and we only argued once, it totally depends on the person.
  • Options
    i think you will need to budget 800 - 1000 for flights depending on what time of year you go and the number of stops. I spent approx £800 a month while I was away and that paid for all my accommodation, food, drink, going out, and I did a fair bit of travelling too (bus/train tickets, internal flights etc). For a first timer I would recommend Oz, its safe, you'll meet loads of people the same age as you and doing the same journey. I went on my own and it was fine I was never worried at any point. However, I much more enjoyed New Zealand (as do most other people I know who have been) scenery is breathtaking, laid back pace of life, extreme sports - but depends what you going for. If you want to party and be safe, Oz is the place for you.
  • Options
    I had quite an interesting travel experience but I would definately do it again.
    I went to South America with a company called quest overseas. I am not going to ramble on about all the places I went or what all I did because they were increadible and there are too many of them! I started with a 3 week Spanish lingo course and this I would definately reccomend if you are travelling through South America because nobody speaks English and it goes a really long way! I was unbelievable the amount of Spanish I learnt after the 3 weeks I still cant believe it! Plus it was cheap as chips (4.50 dollars per hour one to one!) I got a culture shock big time when i was out there (and it wasnt from the equadorians) The group i travelled with were all from very well off English bording school backgrounds and I found how they got on very hard to adapt to. In the end it was fine but I never expected this type of thing to happen especially from people from another English counry and it really took me by surprise. I found that I never really mingled 100% with the rest of the travellers I met on my trip and I suppose this might be part of the reason or it was perhaps that without people from N.Ireland i just couldnt be my usual self and have the same banter that we have here with other people!
    Some of the amazing benefits from the group trip though were that we went on an amazing expedition that would be impossible to organise by yourself and we seen so many amazing things. It was also secure and a good introduction to travelling. But the drawbacks were that everything happened so fast. We were doing something new everyday and it cost a SHIT load 4500 grand! without flights!
    I would definately reccomend South America but if i was you avoid Brazil like the plague. It is seedy as fuck, dangerous, and riddled with crime, drugs and guns. Not only that it is relatively more expensive than most of the other countries. All the talk of Rio is bullshit in my opinion. It was the place you will be most likely to be attacked and robbed. Definately travel to Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Argentina. The difference in security is unreal compared to Brazil and Argentina is really safe. Dont forget Brazil speak portuguese too so if you have learnt any Spanish it just flustrates you even tho it is really similar. These places are unmissable and cheap. Food in Argentina is increadible too and you can live like a king sooooo cheap. I hope to get back and go to Patagonia in the South and Colombia in the North (a wee bit dodgy to tho)

A few things Id reccomend though. Travel with a friend, especially if you have never had experience travelling and plus places can really get lonely if your not an very outgoing person. Its what I plan to do in the future. What about a cosin or a brother/sister? If you do go with someone make sure you get on well because it is true that at times it can be tough and like living with someone. Even if you are very outgoing it can be difficult to meet people though who want to do the same things and go the same places as yourself.
    Also;
    I had a terrible experience travelling with regards to airlines and flights. I bought a student ticket with Iberia (the spanish national carrier) which allowed me to change my route and date for free once to give me flexibility of when I want to come home. When I was out in South America I had so many problems with this and it stressed me out sooooo much. They refused to change it because of their stupid computer system and the time difference between the london office and my relatively poor spanish language skills made things 10 times worse. The airlines in South America (and im sure many other poor places) are expensive and inefficient and they fuck you about so much with regards bookings tickets etc.. I would definately not reccomend flying with Iberia (probably the worst airline in the world) but what I would reccomend is booking ALL your journeys in advance and any trips home (like me flying back from Santiago-Madrid-London-Belfast) make sure you book them with ONE travel agent under one booking so that if they fuck up your flight from Santiago-Madrid (like what happened me delayed by 12 hours) you will automatically have a nice hotel room waiting for you and you will be put on the next flights from Madrid-London-Belfast. I unfortunately had not booked these under one booking and missed 2 flights which I had to pay for plus a night in a hotel and around 10 hours waiting in heathrow airport!
    A few more things to remember. Most places now are semi advanced and you can get internet cafes in the weirdest of places so bring ur MP3 player hard drive and ur digi cam. You will be able to transfer your photos from it to mp3 and take hundreds more. If you are not planning on being a hiker and doing random walking tours perhaps think about packing one of those suitcases with wheels or bringing one ontop of your rucksack. Get a good durable one though u dont want the wheels to fall off. They store loads and will come in handy in airports and when u arrive at different places and I wish id brought one with me!!
    Anyways if you want any more advice send me a message. Good luck though.