Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax man: How would he treat you with two part time jobs?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Right, heres the thing. I work in a bar/nightclub and work there part time- Tues, Fri and Saturday nights.

I'm really struggling for money at the moment so I have applied for another job. The weird thing is, I applied for this job a few months back but they rejected my application. I reapplied when they were advertising for new staff again and they have just phoned me up for an interview for on Friday. I have applied for weekend work. If I was to get the job, I would be working 8-10 hours at the weekend.

I earn about £85 per week from my bar/nightclub job if I work 3 shifts a week (this isn't always guaranteed). If I was to get this new job as well as keeping my current job, this would add about say £60 to my weekly income.

So lets say, I'd be earning about £150. Now, I know with earning this much that I will get taxed but will the fact I get paid by two different companies affect how much tax I get taken off me?

A number of people have told me that I will get taxed more than someone earning £150 in one job. Is this true? Will I get taxed more because I have two jobs despite earning the same amount I would in one full time job?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The tax office will assume you are using all of your personal allowance & 10% band at your first job, and will tax your second job at 22%

You will need to ring the tax office that deals with your main employer with estimates of your annual income from each job. They will then split your code over your two employments and you will pay the right amount of tax during the year. You don't seem to be using your full personal allowance (£94 per week) or 10% rate band at your main job so you should have a surplus that can be transferred to the second job

Your other option is to use all your personal allowance at your main job and pay 22% at the second job, and then claim a repayment after the end of the tax year.

PS. When you ring your tax office, make sure you have the PAYE references of both your employers as this speeds the whole process up.
  • Options
    Ahhh thanks. The PAYE reference is on my payslip of my current job so if I was to get the job, I'd ring the tax office when I got my first pay slip. Do you know the number for the tax offices?
  • Options
    2 part time jobs while you're at uni...i know money's tight but you need time to work and stuff.
  • Options
    I'm really skint. I've no choice. If I was to get this job, I'd be working Tues, Fri n Sat nights and Sat n Sun days. Not too bad. I'll be able to do my work easily throughout the week if I put my mind to it. Its just the tiredness that will get to me at the weekends. It depends what the hours are.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I'm really skint. I've no choice. If I was to get this job, I'd be working Tues, Fri n Sat nights and Sat n Sun days. Not too bad. I'll be able to do my work easily throughout the week if I put my mind to it. Its just the tiredness that will get to me at the weekends. It depends what the hours are.

well i get my student loan and pay my fees of nearly £400 and half of my rent (3 times a year). i have a job that brings in £200 a month and a car to look after. i get by alright. of course if you can't afford to eat then another job is necessary but you need to consider your studies first. haha how much do i sound like an old person.
  • Options
    You only pay half of your rent?

I have to pay all of mine. My rent is £70 per week.

I get absolutely no help off my parents at all. I'm really struggling to get by right now. My loan was gone in January. I'm literally living off the money I'm earning. I need to pay £1200 of accomodation fees on the 4th April and I don't have any of it. My loan doesn't come through till 24th April either.
  • Options
    If you have been sent a tax code, your tax office phone number will be on there.

If not then you will have to look it up on the contact us section of the HMRC website
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    You only pay half of your rent?

I have to pay all of mine. My rent is £70 per week.

do you pay your fees then, do you?

my parents pay the rest of my rent thanks.
  • Options
    Nope. My pay slip has a tax code and a PAYE reference. Its got not telephone number on there.
  • Options
    do you pay your fees then, do you?

my parents pay the rest of my rent thanks.

:yes: Yes I do.

I pay everything for myself.

I wish my parents could help me out but they really can't. If they could, they would
  • Options
    you pay for all your rent and fees? do you get any grants or anything to help you?

my 3 housemates get everything paid for them. 2 of them get their whole loan to themselves and are always skint!
  • Options
    Oh sorry, I've just looked back on what I said yes to :blush: I thought you asked me do I pay all of my rent.

I get the full loan and full grant. My tuition fess are paid for by the LEA. My stupidly expensive accomodation takes most of that money from me though. After my accomodation is paid for and my books and stuff are paid for, I have about £350 left per term.

It doesn't last me that long though. :-/

The problem with my accomodation is that it expects the money weeks before the loan comes in. I need to pay £1200 on the 4th April and I don't have a penny of it :( My loan was gone ages ago.
  • Options
    Stacey I'm in exactly the same position as you - except I don''t have a grant. I pay for everything myself, except the LEA pays for half of my tuition fees, so my entire loan goes on rent and then I live off what I earn.... I work two part time jobs and find it fine, except one of them's under the table (the highest paying one too)i.e cash in hand. As long as you keep on top of your work you'll be fine.

I hadn't thought about taxes though - am I cheating the taxman by working for cash in hand on one of my jobs?
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Oh sorry, I've just looked back on what I said yes to :blush: I thought you asked me do I pay all of my rent.

I get the full loan and full grant. My tuition fess are paid for by the LEA. My stupidly expensive accomodation takes most of that money from me though. After my accomodation is paid for and my books and stuff are paid for, I have about £350 left per term.

It doesn't last me that long though. :-/

The problem with my accomodation is that it expects the money weeks before the loan comes in. I need to pay £1200 on the 4th April and I don't have a penny of it :( My loan was gone ages ago.

i'm generally left with about the same as you a term. sometimes less depending on how much rent i have to pay. my rent doesn't include bills so i pay them myself, too.

is there any way you can cut back? i mean from your job now you earn around £300 a month - is that not enough to live on??
  • Options
    Stacey I'm in exactly the same position as you - except I don''t have a grant. I pay for everything myself, except the LEA pays for half of my tuition fees, so my entire loan goes on rent and then I live off what I earn.... I work two part time jobs and find it fine, except one of them's under the table (the highest paying one too)i.e cash in hand. As long as you keep on top of your work you'll be fine.

I hadn't thought about taxes though - am I cheating the taxman by working for cash in hand on one of my jobs?

You would be in the Uk, breaking the law.
  • Options
    of course you're cheating the taxman, you're not paying tax on it.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    You would be in the Uk, breaking the law.

some jobs pay cash in hand, but do deduct the tax out of it before they give you the cash
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    some jobs pay cash in hand, but do deduct the tax out of it before they give you the cash

Yes but the person receiving the money should know, and to be fair MOST cash in hand jobs are not known about by the tax man.