Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mooncup problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, girls (and some unfortunate boys... don't read on if you don't like graphic girly talk :yuck: ).

I bought a mooncup, I got the B model 'cos I've never had sex, let alone a baby! But I'm finding it really hard to insert. Basically, it seems too big. Do I just need to relax more or is my body somehow "not right"? Not sure. I event tried putting it in in the bath, using water-based lube (I knew there was an advantage to keeping the LGBT Society's sexual health products at home)!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Just a question but why would anybody choose to use a mooncup rather than a 'conventional' sanitary product such as a tampon or pad?
  • Options
    because pads and tampons are vile! and not eco or finance friendly either.

piccolo: I have no advice really. Have you folded it right? Can you normally reach back to your cervix? Is there anyone who could help you?
  • Options
    i could be wrong but sometimes people who haven't had sex struggle to insert tampons so it could be the same with mooncups? i couldn't use tampons until i'd had alot of sex - i don't know if i was uncomfortable with stuff being up there prior to that or just tight. Have you had any tampon problems Kate?

keep trying using lube and relaxation techniques, mooncups do take a while to get used to at any rate.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it?
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Just a question but why would anybody choose to use a mooncup rather than a 'conventional' sanitary product such as a tampon or pad?

Loads of reasons:

* Cheaper
    * Friendlier to the environment
    * I don't have to be subjected to a multitude of products telling me that the healthy shedding of my lining is somehow 'unsanitary' and needs to be masked and covered away
    * Reusable
    * More comfortable (for me anyway)
    * I can see what is being shed which makes me more familiar with my body and its rhythms (getting a bit granola there ;) )
    * It doesn't interfere with the internal vaginal environment, so allows it to get on with the self-cleaning rather than having a piece of cotton soaking it all up
    * Hasn't yet been associated with TSS

Piccolo, are you on LJ? Menstrual Cups has a really good memories section , you might find some good hints there.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    If you want to collect the blood to perform a magic spell with or put in an unsuspecting person's food or drink then a mooncup is by far the best option.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    or put in an unsuspecting person's food or drink then a mooncup is by far the best option.

:eek2: you would make a lovely flatmate,

iv been meaning to buy one of these for ages but just never got round to it
  • Options
    I went and played with a couple in Boots, the security guard was eyeing me strangely! They look kinda big and feel quite stiff. I also played with A and B to look at the size difference and I think it was more the thickness and stiffness than a circumference difference.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    If you want to collect the blood to perform a magic spell with or put in an unsuspecting person's food or drink then a mooncup is by far the best option.

:lol: :eek: :lol:
  • Options
    i could be wrong but sometimes people who haven't had sex struggle to insert tampons so it could be the same with mooncups? i couldn't use tampons until i'd had alot of sex - i don't know if i was uncomfortable with stuff being up there prior to that or just tight. Have you had any tampon problems Kate?

I think thats exactly it! I couldn't even insert a tampon before I had sex, not only painful but it just wouldn't go! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Ohh eco friendly?

Where do I sign???
  • Options
    Ohh eco friendly?

Where do I sign???

www.mooncup.co.uk

www.divacup.co.uk

(i think)
  • Options
    definitely try and relax as much as possible. Youre not gonna be able to get it in with your pc muscles clenched. Maybe crouch down or stand with one foot on the toilet seat and one on the floor to get a better angle? I would have thought that using lubricant would make it more difficult tbh. The smoothness of the silicone would just be slippery with lube on it. If you fold it as small as you can, then it will spring open on its own once its inside.
    Definitely worth perservering with. I find mine brilliant, and sooo convenient. havent used anything else in the couple of years that ive had it.
  • Options
    i soak mine in warm water before it seems to fold easier and it makes me tense up less because its not cold!

Also, the crouching and one foot on the toilet seat works as well.

Hope it gets better.
  • Options
    All these people using them and i've never even heard of it!