Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sound Frequencies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone know why a 44898.48Hz tone is easier to hear than a 29966.1Hz tone.

something strange there i jsut notied, the 29966.1Hz makes oyu lose balance and you sorta of slant over... really odd. you can feel it piercing your had and when it stops you cna feel all this relief

Edit: These are Square waves not Sine

wow another odd thing, i cant hear a 201587.37Hz sine tone but i can hear 213574.38Hz ... :shocking:

Comments

• Options
    Well your ear has a better response to some frequencies than to others. I don't know about that specific range though!

One thing to note is that frequencies between 5-20Hz can apparently make your anal sphincter relax, causing you to shit yourself. ;)
  • Options
    nah ive been killing my brain with these tones all day, and 10hz either is inaudiable to me or it jsut a low dull 'thip' noise

edit: the human hearing range of a healthy person is 20hz-20kHz, if this programs accurate which i would assume it is since its jsut genarting electrical pulses at the fspeed asked for i can hear 10240000Hz... thats 10.24GHz... sweet :) i can hear faster than my processer, my left eardrum wrecks though.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    nah ive been killing my brain with these tones all day, and 10hz either is inaudiable to me or it jsut a low dull 'thip' noise

edit: the human hearing range of a healthy person is 20hz-20kHz, if this programs accurate which i would assume it is since its jsut genarting electrical pulses at the fspeed asked for i can hear 10240000Hz... thats 10.24GHz... sweet :) i can hear faster than my processer, my left eardrum wrecks though.

No way could you hear sounds in the GHz range! Maybe you could 'feel' them somehow, but not hear them...
  • Options
    no its clear as day, the program msut repeat the tone after a while but it is different to the others, ears are super sore though, it soudns like your staing insdie a sub station but uber high pitched.
  • Options
    I'm not going to pretend that I really understand what you're on about regarding square waves and sine waves - obviously one is square, the other is sine ;). I know that when young(ish), we hear from 20hz up to 20khz, give or take. But I'm betting that you aren't hearing a 45khz tone - or even a 30khz one.

More importantly - and this devastated me when it hit home... years ago, I had a decent stereo and really loved my music. I'd forgotten about a particular album, and I slapped it on last night - I have better speakers, the same amplifier and CD player, and some belting headphones. There were bits of the song that were missing! MISSING!!!

I'm not claiming to know the track all that well, but there are certain effects that I KNOW are there, but I can no longer hear them. If I sit down and really, really listen, then I can make them out - they are where I remember them. But I'm just not hearing them properly - I think I'm hearing bits and bobs.

This really is quite crappy, as it is a clear indication that my hearing has started degrading. I'm only 27!!! It isn't fair! I've got loads of time left to listen to music, and already I'm losing bits of it!

Just as importantly, I've just realised that I'm only 26. So not only is my hearing up the swanny, my memory is faulty as well.

Do you think my creator will give me an RMA number for my faulty memory and audio components? Does anyone have a shipping address?

I'm miserable now :(.
  • Options
    softworld wrote:
    edit: the human hearing range of a healthy person is 20hz-20kHz

Nothing to do with being healthy - it's all down to the abuse you've given your ears, and how old you/they are. As you get older, the audible range diminishes - there will come a point where you only hear, say, 60hz to 15khz.

Listening to loud music, working on aeroplane engines, or having a long-term girlfriend with violently-audible orgasms will decrease the quality of your hearing even faster. :)
  • Options
    whatever the tone was, it ws high pitched and sore to hear, i'll record it tomorrow, no guarantees you can hear it though.