Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Clubland extreme hardcore 2 - Review!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
As some of you will be aware, im pretty much a fan of all types of music but especially, 'ARDCOOORE!!!! :hyper: :shocking:
So i feel it my duty to inform any casual hard dance music fans out there on the quality of the new clubland extreme hardcore 2 CD!

It makes a nice change to see all 3 CDs have been mixed by some true legends rather than the random djs clubland cd listeners have been subjected to in the past.

CD 1 - Mixed by Darren Styles
01. Darren styles - Jealous
A lot of djs have made their own title tracks featuring their own name, i guess so they can use it exclusively - this is quite a nice little opener - its an unsual sound however and not the type of cheesy hardcore ive been used to in the past. This track does feature a bit of breakbeat though so thats pushed up the marks a little :thumb: 7/10

02. Ultrabeat vs Scott Brown - Elysium (S&B mix)
I must admit i like this song anyway so i am likely the be rather biased in the mark i give it. Surpisingly this has been changed quite a bit, even includes some vocals! Its not as good as the original and seems to be heading over to cheese town instead of staying the stomping anthem it should be. 6/10

03. Ian van dahl - Inspiration (sy & unknown mix)
What can i say.. its just a bit dull. The vocals are nothing to get excited about and the beats arent exactly amazing either. just something to chill out to and have as background music while you're getting ready. 4/10

04. Darren styles feat. Junior - I need you
I was looking forward to this track, junior always seem to be able to put me in a happy mood and he doesnt disapoint! instantly memorable lyrics and this one will definately be a popular anthem played at raves over this summer! :D9/10

05. United in dance - You're rockin with the best
Bouncy, very bouncy! thats all i have to say on this track :hyper: 8/10

06. Clear vu - Never too late
Great start to this track - jumps straight into vocals and nice cheesy beat.
I can definately see this being a summer anthem as well. Clear vu seem to have the midas touch, ive not heard anything bad from them yet! :D9/10

07. Darren styles - Save me
Wow! i must say i love male vocals with slight vocoder placed over the top, think it sounds mint :hyper: Wicked vocals and another original track by the man styles (although it does sound a little bit like slide away), another anthem :thumb: 9/10
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Part 2

08. Re-con - Pull over (Re-edit)
    Another background track, nothing really stands out that much.
    Only redeeming feature is the sample 'i rock the beat till i burn burn burn' which is pretty cool! 7/10

09. Sy & Unknown feat. lou lou - U R my phantasy (DS mix)
    Sy once again shows why he is the don of hardcore, nice tune! :D
    Vocals arent that memorable but they seem to flow quite nicely and the singer does have quite a nice voice. 7/10

10. Styles & Breeze feat. Whizzkid - Nightmare
    Bit slow to get going and even when it does this song is nothing special. just another easy listening track i guess..im quite disapointed - whizzkid normally has some decent tricks up his sleeve. 6/10

11. Dougal & Gammer feat. Lisa marie - How did i get here
    :crazyeyes At last!! a bloody classic happy hardcore vocal :D
    Excellent track, can expect no less from the dougal and gammer collective though i guess Track starts to get a bit samey near the end but still a good track non the less! :D9/10

12. Route-1 feat Jenny frost - Crash landing (DS mix)
    Interesting to see vocals from jenny frost on this track, she definately has a voice for hardcore! nice little track and had me bouncing around in the chair for a few minutes :lol:9/10

13. Hixxy & Styles feat. lou lou - Happiness
    Unfortunately this seems to be another filler track :yeees: .
    Unless these are songs you need to hear a few times before they sound fantastic (which hardcore tunes rarely are) there are quite a few on this album. Dont get me wrong its not a bad tune, but its not exactly an anthem you should rush out and buy the album for either. 6/10

14. Trinity - Like the sun (Sy & Unknown mix)
    Still nothing attention grabbing. Sounds rather similar to a lot of other tracks out there, manages to keep your attention but again its not great. 7/10

15. Darren Styles - Skydivin 06
    Has the potential to turn all cheesy and happy (yes please!) but it doesnt. :grump:
    Still, uses samples from styles previous tracks and theyre all good this tune brings back the happy bouncy feeling that the past couple of tracks have sent away. 9/10

16. Styles & Re-con - Where do we go
    Another slow starter, uses background crowd noice though which is quite nice! Interesting vocals, they wouldnt sound out of place in a rock song, fit quite nicely though. Good beats also :thumb: 9/10

17. Flip & Fill feat Kelly Llorenna - True love never dies (DS mix)
    Another old tune remade and brought up to date. the song was quite good back then and sounds pretty much the same to me, still like it however :D9/10

If anyone is interested i dont mind reviewing the other discs, this has just taken me about an hour though so i think i'll have break from typing for a bit :D
  • Options
    So what's the overall score??
  • Options
    Ooooh, my bf bought this yesterday, but he doesn't like it. So he's lending it to me tomorrow to copy, and then he's taking it back to Woolies, I think. Should be good - I loved the first comp.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Ooooh, my bf bought this yesterday, but he doesn't like it. So he's lending it to me tomorrow to copy, and then he's taking it back to Woolies, I think. Should be good - I loved the first comp.

Can you still take CDs back to the shop? I thought they wouldn't allow it any more if they're opened? Maybe I'll take some back...need the cash!
  • Options
    Woolies will take anything back, provided its in good nick (no scratches, jam stains, etc).

Virgin, WH Smith and that are not so easy.
  • Options
    Overall i'd give the 1st disc 8/10, its not perfect but it does include pretty up to the minute tracks and you cant really fault the mixing, i mean its darren styles ffs :D
    Cant beleive how many bloody tracks their are and thats only one of three cds!
  • Options
    Absolutely horrific. My ears bleed. :p
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Overall i'd give the 1st disc 8/10, its not perfect but it does include pretty up to the minute tracks and you cant really fault the mixing, i mean its darren styles ffs :D
    Cant beleive how many bloody tracks their are and thats only one of three cds!

Have you never bought a mix CD before?! I have tons, and my mp3 collection is bulging at the seams :eek:
  • Options
    Have you never bought a mix CD before?! I have tons, and my mp3 collection is bulging at the seams :eek:
    On a more serious note though, this album, just like most others, shows what shameless self-promoters DJs are. I remember one of the mixes on the Clubland series a few years ago was mixed by Flip & Fill, who used it to put as many of their productions on as possible. It's not just DJs who do this, though, all the labels are to blame. Ministry of Sound releases are shoved full of tracks from their sister label Data, for instance. All because it costs less, meaning more profits!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Live recordings i.e tape packs are better than any CD you'll get.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I liked it, but then again I'm not a serious fan of hardcore - either I like something or I don't, I don't really give a stuff who its by etc etc.
    I won't go into my favourite tracks, though, as according to my bf, I have really bad taste ;p.