Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weight watchers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a horrible diet. I do try to eat healthy, however, I add all the condiments and then eat until I'm stuffed full. So in my attempt to get back into shape, I've been looking into different things. I've heard a few people with really good success with weight watchers. A friend has been on it and excersizes a few times a week and has lost over 100 lbs and she looks fab. Her husband is now on it and has lost a good amount too.

I've been looking into it and it seems pretty healthy. Not some silly fad diet. Real meals and such. Added to that my attempt to exercixe, I'm hoping.

But my question is, is it actually that healthy? Or is it one of those, gotta keep on it to keep the weight off, what horror stories are there out there ;)
THanks.

Comments

• Options
    slimming clubs work all the time you are willing to stick to the plan, or to sensible eating...if you fall off the wagon it's hard. you have to stick with it. i love Rosemary conley personally.
  • Options
    Cool. I was also hoping to learn from it too, like good portions and not eating cheetos all day during work and such and I had this far off hope that I could start off with something like this then down the line being able to actually eat healthy by myslef. Is it hard once you stop it and have to do it yourself?
  • Options
    Weightwatchers works because it's real food. You can eat a McDonald's every saturday on the weightwatchers plan and still lose weight (providing you've saved your points!).

Me and my mum lost a stone and a half each on weightwatchers.

As long as you stick to the plan, and get exercise, there's no reason why you shouldn't lose weight and keep it off. You're still eating real food, so there's no chance of putting weight back on after you hit your goal weight - unless you really splurge and stop exercising.

It's all about portion sizes and regular mealtimes, along with your average weekly exercise regime.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Assumption, it would be about a thousand times easier if I got the man I eat all my meals with to go on it too? :p Or is it pretty easy to do on your own.
  • Options
    if hes willing to do it, then definitely. it always helps to have someone there to encourage you.
  • Options
    i wouldn't suggest going to McD's every saturday, because it still does bad stuff to you - it's not just how you look on the outside that matters (think about arteries, kidneys, liver, heart etc... lol).

if weight watchers works for you, great! but i've seen people who have diet rollercoasters - nothing beats a simple balanced diet with exercise
  • Options
    nav321 wrote:

if weight watchers works for you, great! but i've seen people who have diet rollercoasters - nothing beats a simple balanced diet with exercise

From reading and hearing about people, I thought it was a balanced diet, helping you keep one. Now I"m confused :p

Ah well, I"ll keep up my search and rescue for a few days before I decide.

THanks for all your thoughts people:)
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend it, I did it when I was unhappy with my weight and would do it again. Like someone else has mentioned, the best thing about it is that it is real food. I had a happy meal most weeks, to stop myself feeling like I was on a diet and it worked :)
  • Options
    i did weight watchers and i lost 2 stone :) just started doing it again recently in fact.

i much prefered it to other diets i tried cuz i can eat proper food for a change.. and chocolate!!

my mum did it with me last year and she lost about a stone too. however since then she has gone off the wagon and put about a stone back on again. but then i think thats due to her not having enough motivation rather than the diet!
  • Options
    I might be mistaken but don't weight watchers insist you have to actually be overweight to join? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I might be mistaken but don't weight watchers insist you have to actually be overweight to join? I'm sure I heard that somewhere.

Was a few years ago that I did it, so it may have changed, but when I did it, you needed to have a target weight 10lb or more than you currently were.
  • Options
    weight watchers is also so effective because you have to get weighed infront of a group of people every week, that would keep me on the waggon
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    waggon

wagon...wagon wheel...mmm, wagon wheel
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    wagon...wagon wheel...mmm, wagon wheel
    was that about me not being able to spell or your chocolate craving? :p
  • Options
    melanie wrote:
    was that about me not being able to spell or your chocolate craving? :p

didnt even notice we spelt it differently till u said!!

Made me think of yummy wagon wheels tis all ;)
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

I am. When I was in the doctors last time I was 6lbs on the "overweight" side of the scale for my height/body type/other stuff. and i've gained 5 since then :(

You dont' actually have to sign up for it though, do you? I was thinking, just getting all the needed info from the couple that are doing it and starting it that way.
  • Options
    i did not actually sign up. just got the information i needed (food points etc) and then did it on my own, weighiny myself every friday morning. worked well enough!
  • Options
    soraliah wrote:
    i did not actually sign up. just got the information i needed (food points etc) and then did it on my own, weighiny myself every friday morning. worked well enough!

Excelent (cuz i'm a cheap bitch) :thumb:
  • Options
    I have been looking at different ways to lose weight too and I may try this. It's funny but this thread has actually stirred up some motivation in me. How long it will last though I don't know. Probably until I see the little gingerbread men in the cupboard downstairs :p:lol:
  • Options
    Lots of interesting comments on the weight loss issue - and I'm sure you know about the healthy eating ethos of eating healthily 80% of the time and 20% for treats - which is exactly why diets that prohibit certain food groups and require strict calorie control are best avoided - they end up making you feel deprived (& hungry) & then you start to crave a sugar boost. Eating food that sustains you especially when your bones are still growing is generally recommended for any sort of healthy eating programme.

TheSite has some interesting theories on diets - see if you agree:
    TheSite diets factsheet
  • Options
    Well I got the book and stuff from her now so I'll guess I'l start when I come back. Try it for a week and see if I feel good (as in not starving and satisifed and stuff, not results-wise obviously). It looks nice. 4 lite beers, so if I don't drink all week I can one day (I really really need to cut down on that anways :\ ) I've eaten a variety of those healthy snack bars and they are delicious and they say those are great to have between meals. Looks real good, though complicated for my little mind.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Well I got the book and stuff from her now so I'll guess I'l start when I come back. Try it for a week and see if I feel good (as in not starving and satisifed and stuff, not results-wise obviously). It looks nice. 4 lite beers, so if I don't drink all week I can one day (I really really need to cut down on that anways :\ ) I've eaten a variety of those healthy snack bars and they are delicious and they say those are great to have between meals. Looks real good, though complicated for my little mind.

Well good luck. Make sure you are not starving as that's when you binge.

Slim fast chocolate caramel bars are lovely. I do a combination of bits from different diets, pick and choose the bits I like!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Try it for a week and see if I feel good (as in not starving and satisifed and stuff
    You'll be hard pushed to be hungry during the first week - I found it really hard to actually eat enough points in one day, so ended up eating boxes upon boxes of raisins just to eat enough points :lol: I ate far more than I'd normally eat, and still lost 3lbs in the first week.

Ilora x