Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

question on Routers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a question regarding Routers and bandwidht useage. Basically i rent out my spare room to enable me to carry on living in my house since wife left.
My lodger downloads a hell of a lot of stuff from bit torrent. i was wondering if there is a way to limit his bandwidth within the router or give my pc high priority when it come to the internet.
The reason i ask is when he's downloading, 95% of the time i wont beable to use the internet as it will time out on loading the webpage. Which really gets on my nerves. I've tried using the Schedule and block ports setup on the router but it goes striaght through it and i get shit loads of emails from the router saying he's accessing the sites/ports i'm trying to block.

I'm using a Netgear WGR614v4 router.

Comments

• Options
    pull his cable out from the router
  • Options
    talk with him and allocate time slots where he is allowed to download otherwise you pull the plug on the line ;)
  • Options
    Yeah, either allocate time slots and deny access, or tell him to lay off downloading so much, or get him to pay more for it.

You could try using traffic shaping if you have a suitable router or a linux box.
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    I've got a question regarding Routers and bandwidht useage. Basically i rent out my spare room to enable me to carry on living in my house since wife left.
    My lodger downloads a hell of a lot of stuff from bit torrent. i was wondering if there is a way to limit his bandwidth within the router or give my pc high priority when it come to the internet.
    The reason i ask is when he's downloading, 95% of the time i wont beable to use the internet as it will time out on loading the webpage. Which really gets on my nerves. I've tried using the Schedule and block ports setup on the router but it goes striaght through it and i get shit loads of emails from the router saying he's accessing the sites/ports i'm trying to block.

I'm using a Netgear WGR614v4 router.

Aye, get a cheap PC(any Pentium will do) and configure it as a Linux router/firewall. You then have a decent toolkit of packet filtering and traffic shaping at your disposal :).

To be honest, it beats me as to why more dedicated routers don't offer such tools as standard. The simplest way to tackle it would be to cap their transfer rate per second.
  • Options
    I use Plusnet as my ISP and they have an option where you can log into your online account and disable P2P programs from their side - maybe your ISP has the same thing - but it sounds much more like you need to talk to him about his usage.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Doesn't the router have an option of banning, or limiting, usage of certain ports given the computer's IP?
  • Options
    In your routers control panle you should be able to block port ranges, try it and see how it goes, he may end up just changing ports though.

Have a look at this: http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Doesn't the router have an option of banning, or limiting, usage of certain ports given the computer's IP?

He'll just set bittorrent up to run through port 80.
  • Options
    I have my router setup to block most of the P2P programs and share points. but doesn't seem to work with his bit torrent. its not a huge problem as he pauses/stops it when i ask so i can use the internet. Just trying to find a different way of managing it so we can both use it with out a problem.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    He'll just set bittorrent up to run through port 80.
    But they're using different computers, right? So each one will have a different IP in the network. Isn't it possible to set computer A to have priority over B?
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Isn't it possible to set computer A to have priority over B?
    Yeah thats what i'd like to do. that way he can download. but when i'm using the net and loading web pages it gives me priority.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    But they're using different computers, right? So each one will have a different IP in the network. Isn't it possible to set computer A to have priority over B?

Yes, it should be. Depends on the features available on the router :).
  • Options
    easy, tell him at certain times, like 20.00 - 22.00 he has to set his BT d/l to 15kb/s or something? this can be solved with some communication.
  • Options
    Does your router offer QoS (Quality of Service) ?

If so, that might be an option, my old Linksys had this, maybe yours does too?

Im a bit busy at work at the moment, so im unable to look into this more, but if you have a read through the manual it may help more?
  • Options
    Well ive done abit of research and ive found a program which limits a networks or single connections traffic,

The link is below,

Click

I Hope these are some help, Mods feel free to remove links if you needed.
  • Options
    I'd go with Hellfire's suggestion, all modern BitTorrent clients have a method of limiting upload and download speed - limit both to 75% of total speed (use the speed test at adslguide.org.uk to find out your real speed in kilobits) and surfing should be fine.
  • Options
    ah thanks guys. i'll have a look at it when i get home. in college doing my evening course on Web design atm.