Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleep paralysis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone suffer from this and got any useful information?

If you dont know what it is... here is some info!

I have been getting it recently, it has only happened about once a month for the last 4 - 5 months...
I read it can be associated with narcolepsy, but i'm not showing any other signs of that...

I have crap sleep patterns, sometimes going to bed early, sometimes not till really late etc etc...

It can be a nasty experience.... especially as this quote from the website above does tend to happen a lot!
In some cases, when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation. That has been called the “Hag Phenomena” and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and terror, but there is no physical harm.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know a lot about it, but there was a program on last night to do with it. Sounds like a horrible thing to have.
  • Options
    crap! Would have been interesting to watch that...

Yeah, i have only had it happen a few times, not nice when it does though...

Reason I posted cos the last one was pretty bad... I suddenly woke up and couldnt move at all, I had a really strong feeling that someone was behind me, and im sure I could hear whispering...
    Then my vision started to go really fucked up, everything was vibrating and I got a really intence feeling in my head...

Then all of a sudden, everythings back to normal and I was wide awake, bit shaken up, but just went back to sleep...

It sounds crazy though, I hate trying to explaine it to people, just sounds like your losing it! lol :hyper:
  • Options
    There was a woman on there who "woke up" to find someone kneeling on her chest, trying to strangle her and she couldn't move at all. She said that she was still asleep but it felt like she was wide awake.

She said that she has the same vision every night, and it all happens really slow so she can sense whats going to happen, and gets more anxious.

Not something i'd like to have!
  • Options
    Indeed its not good at all.

I get a different kind.

I wake up in my mind, but my eyes remain shut and I am paralylsed. So I am conscious but appear asleep.

Takes a lot of energy to break out of it.
  • Options
    Yeah... thats the weird thing about it...

You cant move, but you feel like your using loads of energy trying too...

Then all of a sudden your whole body judders as you get control back!

That woman sounds like she has a really bad case lacy, im glad mine dont go that badly!!
  • Options
    yup.

Its like having a fist fight with yourself. Tiring.

I remember sometimes it would happen several times in a row.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    JamesZero, there were a few discussions in the drugs forum about sleep paralysis that I have posted this link from the Observer on, which has one of the most straightforward explanations of sleep paralysis I have seen. There is also a link at the end to a website on that and other sleeping disorders. Hope that helps a bit.
  • Options
    I had it once, a very strange experience. Fortunately, I knew about it beforehand, so no worries there, I just waited for it to pass.
  • Options
    Cheers for that LJ, was a good read...

Funny enough, I thought there may be a drug connection...

Its far more likely to happen at some point during the week if I had been doing pills the weekend before! :chin:
  • Options
    Aye all the time. Last night in fact. Though I almost always suffer it before I go to bed, not when I wake up.
  • Options
    Yeah, mine always happens as im falling asleep...

I have never had it while waking up. Turlough, isnt it supposed to be medicated if it happens to you every night? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I only get it about once a month at the moment, which I dont mind and can put up with... I can imagine every night becoming a pain in the arse!
  • Options
    I've had it quite a few times. It's usually the same...there is someone in the room, coming towards me, or just standing there. They seem very menacing and I want to get away from them. But I can't move at all, and I'll start struggling. Apparently at this point I'm making loud murmers too, which is quite distressing for someone in bed with you! Eventually I'll wake up, shocked and exhausted.

It isn't nice at all :(
  • Options
    I have never actually seen anyone... Its just as if I know someone is there, I can feel thier presents... it feels like they are behind me...

When it happens to me, my eyes are fully open, and I can see my surroundings in front of me.

As I say the last one I had, there were some really wierd open eye visuals... would have been nice in a trippy kind of way if I wasnt shitting myself at the time lol :thumb:
  • Options
    i get it from time to time and its fucking nasty

i get it as im falling asleep ususally, i can feel myself going into it ... it starts out as noise .. lots of noise .. in both of my ears.. which gets noiser and more intense as i fall more into it .. then i cant move .. and you really do feel like you're trying with all your energy to move but you just won't budge .. a few times ive been certain ive thrown myself off the bed but woke up a few seconds later to realise i hadnt

it really scares the fuck out of me .. the first time it happened i didn't know what the fuck was going on .. i was sittin on my computer chair with my head on my arms on my desk or something like that and i fell into it .. it was one of the most bizarre things ever and give me quite a fright .. i dont like it at all, and if it happens i usually don't want to go back to sleep after it

for me im certain its drug related, and i suffered it more when i abused drugs (i think ecstasys the culprit, not certain though) but i still get it from time to time

another strange dream type thing ive got before is like some sort of dream loop or something .. i wake up, stick on my trousers, walk downstairs .. then i wake up again and im in bed .. and im like wtf, get up stick on my trousers, walk down stairs .. then i wake up again and im in bed again ... then i get up, stick on my trousers, walk downstairs, and im in bed AGAIN .. and it goes on for a while until i eventually wake up and go what the FUCK is going on ... thats quite bizarre too

im a terrible sleeper and have many sleeping problems as it is, whether or not it has any link to these problems i dont know, it could be completly drug induced
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    another strange dream type thing ive got before is like some sort of dream loop or something .. i wake up, stick on my trousers, walk downstairs .. then i wake up again and im in bed .. and im like wtf, get up stick on my trousers, walk down stairs .. then i wake up again and im in bed again ... then i get up, stick on my trousers, walk downstairs, and im in bed AGAIN .. and it goes on for a while until i eventually wake up and go what the FUCK is going on ... thats quite bizarre too

:D

Get that all the time.

Once I got up for school 5 or 6 times but I was in my bed all along. Clah craic.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree about it being ecstasy related!

Well seen as most of the people that have said they have it are from the drug forum lol...

But more seriously, It only started happening since I took ecstasy more. I still dont do it a huge deal, but I def think thats the cause...
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Yeah, I agree about it being ecstasy related!

Well seen as most of the people that have said they have it are from the drug forum lol...

But more seriously, It only started happening since I took ecstasy more. I still dont do it a huge deal, but I def think thats the cause...

I used to get it before I ever took ecstasy! I don't think they occured more often after I started taking it. So don't assume there is or isn't a definite link!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've gotten that (or what I think was that) just once, last summer. I was sleeping on the balcony, and when I woke up I realised I couldn't move at all. Not open my eyes, not move arms or legs, and when I tried to call for help I couldn't open my mouth and all my vocal chords could manage was a barely audible "Hrrrrr". Then I came to normal suddenly.
    It scared the hell out of me, cause I was thinking I might stay a vegetable for the rest of my life... But there was nothing like an evli presence etc. I was hearing voices, but those were of the builders fixing the bulding right next to mine.