Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pain VS Pleasure

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone I wrote an article about the fact that sometimes to do the right thing you experience pain. Yet also if you do the wrong thing you may experience pleasure. It is a paradox of sorts. :wave: All opinions are appreciated. http://freakmag.com/The_Vibe/The_Pain_Pleasure_Principal.html

Comments

• Options
    Mmm some pain is definitely nice ;)
  • Options
    I hate you aceweaver.
  • Options
    Wow, I just spent a fair while writing a great reply to your article and the boards logged me out and I lost it all. That's not happened to me for a while. I'm no n00b to forums so it feels extra dumb that I got caught out like that.

I read your article, Ace, and have several things to say about it but I'll have to do it later now when I regain my energy.

*crushed spirit*
  • Options
    That time already is it?

Just to note:

Principal: usually refers to the head of an educational establishment.
    Principle: set of rules/norms forming the basis of other things.
  • Options
    god damn it I hate you aceweaver
  • Options
    Okay, here's some thoughts...
    For instance a friend of yours has started taking drugs, you know it will hurt your friend, may even lead to addiction and jail time. Yet the Pain Pleasure Principal is at work and if you want your friend to like you, you are likely to say nothing. Because to confront the person may cause pain because the person taking the drug may get mad at you and not want to be your friend.
    For instance at work you see a co-worker cheat someone out of money. Maybe even assault a fellow co-worker. If you speak up you may incur the wrath of the person who did the evil deed, which leads you to stay quiet.

Firstly, the examples you've used come across as very weak. What I mean is that if my friend started using drugs then I'd sure as hell tell him what a complete and utter idiot he was, maybe even grabbing him by the shoulders and shaking him violently whilst shouting "YOU FOOL! YOU FOOL!" over and over again. If put in that situation any good friend would kick the ass of the druggy friend for getting into something so incredibly stupid and harmful. I wouldn't expect anything less from my chums if I was to do the same. If someone just stood by and watched their mate sink into the depths of hell called Heroin Addiction because they were "scared" that their friend would get mad at them and not like them any more, well, that friendship had some serious issues from the start.

The same goes for the bad-doer co-worker. If he's stealing from customers and even assaulting people then there's NO WAY most people would pretend that they never saw it and not tell anyone. I'd damn well step in, too (providing he wasn't 7 foot tall with no front teeth and a history of breaking people's legs with very little warning) and tell him I saw him. I might even growl like a lion as well, just to psyche him out a bit. If he's abusing his position then that sucker's going DOWN, by which I mean legally, i.e. I'll inform the boss/police/Batman of his actions and let them deal with it. Someone who just stands by and let's stuff like that go on around them because they're scared of everything is almost as bad as the person they're scared of in the first place.

Anyway, I know that's off on a slight tangent to your point but I just felt that those examples weren't very typical of most people (I hope).

I see your article is basically about how it's much easier to sin than to stay on the straight and narrow (I'm presuming that this is influenced by it being Lent at the moment?)

The problem I see here is that your audience are two groups of people: Christians and non-Christians. Well the Christians will agree with what you're saying and understand the importance of resisting temptation. The non-Christians, however, will most likely see that most of what you say makes sense but that it's not so important. Neither will likely be altered by what you've said.

I mean from a religious point of view, saving yourself for marriage and only ever having sex with your wife is great because that's what God tells you to do, you're supposed to do it, you'll make him happy, it'll strengthen your relationship with him and ultimately you've got heaven to look forward to.

But from a non-religious point of view, not having sex until you're married makes sense in principle (avoid STDs, babies, heartbreak etc etc) but without anything more than these worldly problems it's hardly going to stop most people from doing what their whole body and mind is telling them to do i.e. SHAG SHAG SHAG SHAAAAAAAG. I mean after all, apply a bit of common sense and you can have sex thousands of times without ever getting a virus or spawning a bawling baby. It's just the silly or very unlucky ones who end up in that boat.

So what I'm getting at is that your point isn't really targetted at anyone because whichever of the two groups the reader falls into, the message doesn't really apply to them.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now. Hey, check out this guy's monobrow ---> :naughty:
  • Options
    thats all you have to say???
  • Options
    I know, I know, I've always had a problem expressing myself :(

"Shy Dave Quiet Head" the kids used to call me. Damn them. DAMN THEM TO HELL.
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:
    I know, I know, I've always had a problem expressing myself :(

"Shy Dave Quiet Head" the kids used to call me. Damn them. DAMN THEM TO HELL.
    Yes, you might want to get that shy..ness.. checked out.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Mmm... some pain can be fun. ;)
  • Options
    aceweaver wrote:
    Hello everyone I wrote an article about the fact that sometimes to do the right thing you experience pain. Yet also if you do the wrong thing you may experience pleasure. It is a paradox of sorts. :wave: All opinions are appreciated. http://freakmag.com/The_Vibe/The_Pain_Pleasure_Principal.html

What a load of shite.
    As human beings we have many things pulling at us. Many things pulling us in different directions. One of those predominant forces is what I call the "Pain Pleasure Principal." That is when given two choices, one which leads to pleasure and one which leads to pain, most people will choose the one that leads to pleasure. Yet the paradox is that if we want to do the right thing in life, a lot of times that will result in pain not pleasure. For instance a friend of yours has started taking drugs, you know it will hurt your friend, may even lead to addiction and jail time. Yet the Pain Pleasure Principal is at work and if you want your friend to like you, you are likely to say nothing. Because to confront the person may cause pain because the person taking the drug may get mad at you and not want to be your friend. If you do confront your friend you may be saving him or her from a life of pain. So there lies the paradox. What to do choose pleasure for yourself and possible pain for your friend, or pain for yourself and possible freedom for your friend?

Stupid example. Here's the reality. You do not know if doing drugs will result with anything you've claimed. Your friend might report considerable benefits from drug use, including spiritual development. You have no idea what the results - if any - will be.

Confronting him is not the 'moral' thing to do, because what is moral advances the good (anything which increases overall human happiness) and reduces the bad (anything which reduces overall human happiness). Confronting someone who uses drugs with or without a problem serves no purpose as people with any sense of independence will not suddenly quit to please the misplaced concerns of an ignorant friend. Especially since the drugs they are taking may be offering new insights and life-affirming experiences. You'd be most likely to fail in your aim and end the friendship if you continued bitching - in other words, you'd maximise the bad.

The sensible and moral option would be to accept your friend's lifestyle and provide support should he have any problems - 'pleasure' or 'pain' doesn't play a part.
    This principal applies to a lot of life's dilemmas. For instance at work you see a co-worker cheat someone out of money. Maybe even assault a fellow co-worker. If you speak up you may incur the wrath of the person who did the evil deed, which leads you to stay quiet. It has been said the only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good men to stay quiet. So it is that a basic survival instinct is pitted against the need to expose evil. So then the Pain Pleasure Principal, though true, may lead us to do the wrong thing. Which leads us to the conclusion that human nature is inherently evil. Which brings us to the basic principal of Christianity that is mankind's nature is sinful. That is why Jesus had to die on the cross, because the punishment for sin is death the Bible tells us. Even so Jesus took our place in God's judgement. The Bible furthers the point by saying, (1Pet4 NIV)"Therefore, since Christ has suffered in his body, arm yourself also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin." So how do we then overcome the Pain Pleasure Principal? First of all by accepting God's grace which was expressed by Jesus dying for our sins. Secondly by deciding you are willing to go against your noticed sinful instincts and do the right thing.

The basic survival instinct's promotion of passivity towards wrong doing does not lead lead to the conclusion that man is inherently 'sinful'. If human life is valuable, and survival instinct promotes passivity to certain wrong doing as a means of self-protection, then surely it's purpose of saving life is, at least, equally as moral as it is immoral?

Not all instincts promote passivity to wrong doing either. If i saw a woman or an old man getting beaten up i'd step in - so instincts don't always choose the the comfortable look the other way approach. If anything, your view of human nature in this regard is likely to be a product of your own personal cowardice.

You need to prove that your conception of God and 'sin' are real as well. Otherwise, your argument has absolutely no basis.
    For instance perhaps you yourself are taking drugs or smoking. It will be painful to stop but in the long run it will cause you less pain if you stop now. You may be having sex outside of marriage, it is better to stop now before you get a STD or sex addiction or have a baby out of wedlock. If you do the right thing it may just save your life and in the process help the people around you to also choose the right thing. The only problem is that doing the right thing may not feel like the right thing. That's O.K. that is just the Pain Pleasure Principal at work.

If i gave up drugs and sex then i'd be fucking miserable. What's moral about that?
  • Options
    Brave Dave wrote:
    So what I'm getting at is that your point isn't really targetted at anyone because whichever of the two groups the reader falls into, the message doesn't really apply to them.

Daaaamn, sometimes it hurts being so right :cool:

Not as much as trapping my fingers in a door, mind you.
  • Options
    It would be better if it were about BDSM.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It would be better if it were about BDSM.

I was hoping it was.
  • Options
    I'm not reading it because it's not. How mean, to use a pleasure/pain title and not be sexually stimulating!