Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Colleagues body odour.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Need a little advice please.

A female colleague who sits close by to me has really strong body odour. It is off putting throughout the day. It is not just me who notices it. How do I broach the subject?

Comments

• Options
    take her out the nack and kind and gag her to a chair and jetwash her down, failing that, see an immediate supervisor about it
  • Options
    well it shouldn't just be down to you, really. but i guess you can't all gang up on the person 'cause it'd look like bullying.

could you talk to a manager or something to see what they say?
  • Options
    Someone else has already mentioned it to our manager, but nothing has been done.
  • Options
    Is it like a marinated in their perfume nasty bo or doesn't shower bo?
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    Someone else has already mentioned it to our manager, but nothing has been done.

did the manager not suggest anything?

perhaps someone else should go forward and then they might take you more seriously and mention something to the person?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Is it like a marinated in their perfume nasty bo or doesn't shower bo?

probably a smell of not showing much/wearing effective deodrant/not washing clothes/being hot/sweaty.
  • Options
    did the manager not suggest anything?

perhaps someone else should go forward and then they might take you more seriously and mention something to the person?

I guess our manager just left sorry for her, that or embarrased to say anything. Someone (ie, me because no-one else will) has to do something soon
  • Options
    probably a smell of not showing much/wearing effective deodrant/not washing clothes/being hot/sweaty.

exactly that!
  • Options
    try starting up a conversation with every1 in the office about how often you shower and casualy ask her.or ask what type of perfume she uses when she goes out and does she use any during the day and suggets what types you like.
    it subtle i know but she may pick up on it

if it dosnt work just say u stink for teh love of jesus wash wil ya
  • Options
    it's not a great situation either way, but i'd take her aside somewhere quiet and break it to her gently.

she won't be reet impressed however she finds out, but if it were me i'd rather one person told me privately than my boss telling me, or people trying to hint at it. how mortifying.
  • Options
    Hmm, this is tricky.

How to tell someone that they smell without offending them enough for it to sound like harassment.

I don’t know, maybe ask your manager if a written complaint is what he's after, that way he’s legally covered maybe? But alas I am not a lawyer.
  • Options
    Buy one of those things with a little fan on it and point it at her (i mean like those 'oust' things)
  • Options
    Thanks all for your comments. I think I am going to have a word with my manager tomorrow and see is she does anything about it. If she does not I am just going to have a quiet word with the smelly one in question.
  • Options
    How did it go? I've had smelly workmates and its just been inhuman to work with them
  • Options
    ginge86 wrote:
    Thanks all for your comments. I think I am going to have a word with my manager tomorrow and see is she does anything about it. If she does not I am just going to have a quiet word with the smelly one in question.

It is really the duty of your manager and HR department to sort this out. You are entitled to work in a comfortable environment.

You could say comments within easr shot of her by saying 'innocently' : "EWhat is that smell? Can you smell it? It's like someone hasn't washed ... " etc. Do it often and every day until she gets the hint ... :p
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    You could say comments within easr shot of her by saying 'innocently' : "EWhat is that smell? Can you smell it? It's like someone hasn't washed ... " etc. Do it often and every day until she gets the hint ... :p

This could work. Either that or quickly before she comes in put some spray on her desk? :confused: She'll surely get the hint, without being embarrassed by being confronted.
  • Options
    Just to let you know I had a word with my manager and she had a quiet word with her. She did smell a bit better today, but I still think we have some way to go. Time will tell!
  • Options
    Why not write her a note and and say "please wash under your arms and use some deo because you stink ya dutty cow". :thumb: