Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

McCarthy sacked

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Inevitable, but I can't help feeling a bit gutted for him.

I couldn't find anything on a news site about this yet, but I got the SAFC mailout thingy this morning that was announcing it.

SAFC ANNOUNCE DEPARTURE OF MICK MCCARTHY

Sunderland AFC has announced that after three years in charge, manager Mick McCarthy has departed the Club.

Following a meeting this morning Mick McCarthy was informed of the Club’s intention to terminate his contract. It was agreed that it was in the best interests of both parties for him to leave immediately.

The Club intends to appoint a Caretaker Manager to take charge of the remaining 10 matches this season and will make a decision regarding a permanent appointment at a later date.

Chairman Bob Murray said:
“As Chairman I take responsibility for what has proven to be an unsuccessful and heartbreaking season, despite the best intentions, efforts and expectations of every one at the Club.

“I feel deeply sorry that the excitement, optimism and aspirations of all Sunderland fans looking forward to a return to the Premier League have been rewarded in this way and I apologise for this.

“It is especially tough on supporters who have turned out in numbers week in week out, despite seeing so little to raise their spirits. It is hard to see such loyalty unrewarded and I am sorry that performances and results have not mirrored the tremendous level of support that the Club has been given.

“The Club did not return to the Premiership just to make up the numbers and whilst we fully expected it to be a tough first season back, none of us expected to be in the position we are today.

“I would like to thank Mick McCarthy for his efforts for the Club whilst at Sunderland and wish him and his family the best for the future.”

“ Looking ahead we will be taking our time to appoint a successor for what will be another very important season for the Club in 2006.”
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Second manager of he season to be sacked after playing us. It's not really fair, they can't exactly expect to beat us can they? :p Sunderland deserved at least a point yesterday, judging by how they played. Bit gutted for him, cos I like Mick McCarthy, he gives good interviews, and I can't really see them doing better under anyone else.
  • Options
    im quite shocked, i always thought they would have stayed with him till the end of the season.. horrible job to attract people too now i guess. im hoping its gonna be Stan Ternant personally who takes over, i'd love to see him fully manage a premiership club, even if it is only for 10 games, got a lot of respect for him, and he's a mackam as well. would be a good choice i feel.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    im hoping its gonna be Stan Ternant personally who takes over, i'd love to see him fully manage a premiership club, even if it is only for 10 games, got a lot of respect for him, and he's a mackam as well. would be a good choice i feel.

Good call, I haven't a clue who they'll appoint to be honest (either as caretaker manager or permanently). You're right though, it'll be a challenge attracting any one half-decent to the job. I agree that he gives good interviews, IWS, he seems like a really nice guy...but then that's irrelevant isn't it?

My first thought when I read that was that it was April 1st, especially since I couldn't find out anything else about it. :p
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Always liked McCarthy really. I wouldn't fancy getting Sunderland of trouble now though, its almost inevitable.
  • Options
    Even Mourinho could'nt have save Sunderland.
  • Options
    A bit late now though, isn't it?
  • Options
    seriously, you should never work with a football team that yoyo's as much as sunderland

well at least theres chance for them to get some silverwear next year, i mean the championship cup is the only thing they could ever win
  • Options
    A bit late now though, isn't it?
    :yes: I can't see the point, McCarthy was as good as any, but pherhaps to honest. :yes:
  • Options
    look what he had to work with though :lol:
  • Options
    He was unlucky with his few transfer choices, and of course his budget was incomparable to those of the bigwigs. It really wasn't meant to be.

It's an unfortunate case of his best not being good enough.
  • Options
    But they were better than Wigan and West Ham last season and they are both in the top half so I don't think you can say their relegation was inevitable.

That said Sunderland seem to have had less money availble for transfers but then the signings he did make were a bit dodgy, or haven't come off for whatevere reason......
  • Options
    I think that there were some good players and some not so good players that he had at his disposal.

I think Jon Stead is possibly one of the worst players to play in the premiership, but then they had Andy Gray who i think should have been given more of a chance, especially with all those goals in div 1 he scored. My team nearly signed this guy from SAFC in January and i would have loved it.

For me, its a bonus Sunderland coming back down, always a fun weekend up there when we play, have a real laugh.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But they were better than Wigan and West Ham last season and they are both in the top half so I don't think you can say their relegation was inevitable.

Eh? I didn't mean their relegation was inevitable, last season we were all so hopeful and convinced that we'd be up there at the top...or at least a long way off the bottom. But as this season has panned out, the finger has definitely been pressing the trigger re: McCarthy. I didn't expect it to come now though, it's rather weird.

Have to agree about Stead, koe, he's abysmal. The usual defense for him is that "he's trying", but I think his transfer was a definite miss since he's possibly the worst striker in the Premiership. :grump:
  • Options
    i dont think anyone could have predicted what wigan have done this season, i was pretty sure that west ham would have been safe, but i was never so sure about Sunderland, they may be quite a large club but they havent had millions and millions to spend, its unfortunate tho because McCarthy looks like a decent bloke and a decent manager. I fear with the lack of a divide in the championship these days between good and half decent teams that it may be a while before they get chance to go back up to the premiership. You can also pretty much guarentee that any players with any possible premiership talent will be leaving at the end of the season, so its back to building blocks again.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

Sunderland's top transfer, Jon Stead for £1.3m.

West Ham's top transfer, Dean Ashton for £7.3m.

Sunderland were not a better team that Wigan, for the record. Go and look at the stats for last season. Points win prizes, but the best team don't always get the most points.

That's why Sunderland have been relegated. Sure, Sunderland don't have any money, but if you pay £1m for a striker you get a £1m striker, not Thierry Henry.

Jon Stead is actually a very talented footballer, IMHO. He was shit hot for Hudders- he will score a shedload in D1, that's for sure. If people give him a chance. I don't think Gray is Premiership quality, and he's a favourite of mine after the goals he got for us.

The Sunderland team is not Premiershp quality. That's not the manager's fault. If you shop in the bargain basement you get bargain basement players.

That said, they should have more points. A manager like Paul Jewell managed to keep a worse team up in ourselves in 1999, having had a very similar budget. Our top signing that year was David Wetherall at £1m.

I think this is all about Murray directing the flak, because the Mackems I talk to reckon its his fault for not allowing any money to be spent. I really don't rate the jug-eared Barnsley twat as a manager at all, and never have done, not even when he was at Millwall, but he hasn't been treated particularly well.

Sunderland should have done better, but they'd still have been in the relegation dogfight. I don't think that's enough to sack the manager who won you the title last year though.
  • Options
    He was just interviewed on the news, definitely a nice guy. Seemed genuinely surprised, I suppose he thought (like the rest of us) that since he'd survived the Christmas-time criticism he'd be around 'til the end of the season.

Kevin Balls been appointed caretaker manager, bookies seem to have him and McLeish as faves for the permanent role. :chin:
  • Options
    i remember when kevin ball used to play real football for them, i met the guy once
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Jon Stead is actually a very talented footballer, IMHO. He was shit hot for Hudders- he will score a shedload in D1, that's for sure. If people give him a chance.

I have to disagree to be honest, I think he definitely gives it his all but I just don't see flair when he plays.

I'd gladly be proven wrong. Then, it's also possible he might thrive under a different manager, or among different teammates, but that's just pure speculation on my part.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Sunderland team is not Premiershp quality. That's not the manager's fault. If you shop in the bargain basement you get bargain basement players.

Nail on the head.
  • Options
    i sometimes think mick might have been better going to poundland in the metrocentre (gateshead), and getting some gingerbread men on the cheap
  • Options
    im not gonna complain with Bally, quality player and a quality bloke, ive also had the pleasure of meeting this one.

going back to jon stead, i think kermit is right, he was class at huddersfield, and i think at that level he would still be class, but just not premiership. there are very few players that can make that step up, take darren bent for example, he's done fine. Personally im still out on players like Rob Earnshaw, Dean Ashton, Andy Johnson (to a lesser extent) etc... all scored shed loads in lower divisions but still seem a world away from the top strikers.

(having said all that, i'd do anything for any striker with half that ammount of talent to sign for burnley at the moment)
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    (having said all that, i'd do anything for any striker with half that ammount of talent to sign for burnley at the moment)
    We were nice enough to give you Ricketts on loan :lol:
  • Options
    apparently even he is "ill" he hasnt looked too bad for us in the few games he's played, but thats comparing him to Gifton Noel Williams, who is useless. I think the manager has probably fallen out with Rickets now tho and i doubt we'll see him again...

we've got Kyle Lafferty up front, tries his best but he's only a 17 year old, needs a lot of work yet
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Sunderland's top transfer, Jon Stead for £1.3m.

West Ham's top transfer, Dean Ashton for £7.3m.

But they only signed Ashton after staying up was pretty much assured......

As for Stead, he was good at Blackburn so questions about 'maiking the step up' are rather irrelevant, McCarthy was unlucky with him though to be fair......
  • Options
    he wasnt good at blackburn tho, he scored a few goals for a bad team when he first signed then totally lost it at the start of the season.