Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

hysterectomy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,

my mum is going into hospital to get a hysterectomy done this wednesday (thats getting her womb removed to those who dont know what it is!) and im a tiiny bit apprehensive!!

has anyone here had it done/know anyone who has?? i just want to be reassured that everything will go ok!! i know the risks of problems during surgery are quite low, but because im away at uni, im not going to be near when she has it done and im just a bit nervous for her (and for me i guess!) in case something DOES happen :(

Comments

• Options
    my grandma and my mums friend have both had them. They were quite tired and sore for a while afterwards. I think it can take several months sometimes to get over it properly...all depends.
  • Options
    There are a few different types of hysterectomy, but whatever the reason she is having it I'm sure she'll be happier without it her uterus.

She'll be fine. This is bread and butter work for a gynaecologist.
  • Options
    My mum had one about 8/9 yrs ago. Everything went fine although she got cystitis afterwards. She was really pleased because she'd suffered from really heavy periods and anaemia(caused by the blood loss) so she was free of that for good!
  • Options
    I know someone who had one and she was/still is fine :) and feels better than she did before
  • Options
    My mum had one almost 15 years ago and it was a welcome relief, since she had horrendous problems with her periods throughout her whole life. She was fine afterward, like others have said she'll be a bit sore and tired. General convalescing, so a bit of TLC will see her right. :)
  • Options
    My mum had hers done last saturday, she was in hospital last week and arrived home safely on Friday, she is absolutely knackered and in pain but shes doing well.

Im shure it will all go well. Just be there for her, if you are away from home at uni ring her and check up etc.

Hope it all goes well.
  • Options
    My mum had one done when i was about 2, so...ahem 22 years ago!!She said, as expected, she felt sore and run done for a while afterwards, but she said the benefits outweighed those initial sore few weeks. Send your mum a bunch of flowers or something....show her you are thinking of her even if you cant be there :)
  • Options
    My friend had one last year and was fine. Just remind her not to over do it even when she's feeling a lot better cos she should try to rest rest rest!afterwards! :)
  • Options
    Yeah it depends how they do the operation, Keyhole or a larger incision. As my mums had the larger incision done she cant even lift a kettle for 6 weeks!

If you wanna talk about it your welcome to PM me with my mum going through the same atm I can probably answer most questions you might have.