Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ashely Cole to sue News Group Newspapers

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
There's been some stuff in the tabloid newspapers over the past few weeks about footballers getting up to some antics off the field. Nothing new there, but this time, they concern gay sex allegations. Presumably the tabloids are carrying them so they can carry "funny" "jokes" about the "player's tunnel", but no matter.

Ashley Cole has announced he's going to sue The Sun and the News of the World for harassment, breach of privacy and libel. Basically, he's shortly going to be marrying Cheryl Tweedy of Girls Aloud, and he finds the "insinuation and innuendo" to be "disgraceful". Also, it has emerged several Internet websites have rumours that he is one of the two men involved in this murky business.

:: Details ::

Obviously, it's highly inappropriate to comment on a case which has not yet been heard, so I won't discuss the legal side any further. But what do you think of all these claims being made? And on a more general note, why do you believe there is no such thing as an openly gay footballer?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Must be true then. ;)

Can't say I'm ever going to complain about someone sueing the News of the World, to be honest.
  • Options
    How can he sue for libel etc if his name has never been mentioned?
  • Options
    That's a good question. There has never been a court case before about a story that might not be true. Therefore, there has never been any verdict about whether an untrue story can be considered libellious. This is interesting legal territory. If there's anyone on TheSite who works in the legal industry, maybe you can enlighten us on this.
  • Options

The S** made a nudge-nudge wink-wink insinuation that he was involved a few days later.

Although Cashley has spent more time with his lawyers than at the training ground this season the best of luck to him on this one.
  • Options
    A rumour? About a gay footballer at Arsenal? Well I never.
  • Options
    I hope he bankrupts the fucking odious rags.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I hope he bankrupts the fucking odious rags.
    Bankrupt the whole of News Group Newspapers? Much as I'd delight in seeing The Sun and the News of the World disappear forever, I can't see it happening. These two papers are simply so powerful that they'll fight all the way in court. I suspect lawyers are hard at work in Wapping right now preparing a defence.
  • Options

Because if you make insinuations that obviously lead to a name you are treated as if you have named the person.

And as the Gay Times (I think) showed, the Sun used a photograph along with the article which had been doctored to edit faces out. The problem is that the photograph has been in the public domain for some time as promotional literature, featuring a London DJ and, er, one Mr Ashley Cole of Arsenal.

I think he will have quite a good case, to be honest.
  • Options
    Wasn't aware of that bit Kermit. Makes sense now.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Obviously, it's highly inappropriate to comment on a case which has not yet been heard, so I won't discuss the legal side any further

yet you are inviting further discussion about it, by creating a thread?