Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

getting the pill...what to expect?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so finally my mum caved into letting me get the pill to see if it helps my period pains (which i also get throughout the month randomly, not just when im on) and eventually for contraceptive reasons. She's taking me down to the doctors next week, i was just wondering...how do they decide what pill is best for you cause there's so many! What kind of side effects are there?

Comments

• Options
    The side effects vary from person to person. I'm not sure how they decide what is best, I guess its trial and error.
  • Options
  • Options
    alot of people seem to have problems with microgynon though?
  • Options
    Im on Cilest and ive had no problems with it, the 3 years ive been on it
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

I'm on microgynon and I havn't had a problem with it... did throw up the first day I took it and felt sick for a week but it's been great since. :)
  • Options
    P.S. Really pleased your mum caved, I hope the pill helps with the period problems. :thumb:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

sooo many people are on the pill, and as it seems to be the most commonly prescribed, there are bound to be more who have problems with it.

i was on it for 7 years, switched to the patch for a year and just went back to microgynon last week, and i've never had any problems.

however, the side effects of any pill can include: weight gain, boob gain and soreness, nausea, headaches, moodiness, spots, and then the more serious but rare ones like blood clots.

the doctor should go through all the side effects with you before they prescribe it.
  • Options
    I had a rotten time with pills. I was on the shot for just about 4 years, then I switched to the pill. It was just your average ol pill. I became a raving lunitic. Perfectly fine one minute then crying uncontrolably to my dad because my toe hurt. Then grand, then making a huge argument over dinner. Not good.
    In my opinion, and from what I talked about and heard from my doctor, that happened and isn't all that uncommon in people who start it and are on anti depressants. Switched to a pill that gradually increases the hormones thruout the month and things were back to normal. I dont know if that would have any relevance to you or not, just thought I'd throw that in there as an FYI.

Its possible you'll have breakthru bleeding during the first couple months. I did >: ( But that will clear itsself in time.
    I've never actually known anybody who has gained weight once they start a pill.
    Breast tenderness and possibly slight enhancement.
    Feeling ill to the tummy for the first few weeks is possibly also.
  • Options
    hm, im just worried about nausea/vomiting as im emetophobic
  • Options
    Mycrogynon and Cilest seem to be most popular, then probably Micronor and Femodene.

I went on the pill when i was 16 and stopped 2 yrs ago when i was 20. Except for a short time on Dianette, i was always on Ovysmen, Ive never heard of anyone else using that nor have i seen a prescription for it, although we do stock it in work.

Wonder why that was chosen for me.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

you won't know how the pill's going to affect you until you try it though. everyone responds differently and different pills suit different people. tell the doctor what you're worried about though when you go, it may help them decide what to start you on.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

pretty much all tablets list nausea/vomiting as a side effect. you just have to decide if the potential positive effects outweigh the potential trauma.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    pretty much all tablets list nausea/vomiting as a side effect. you just have to decide if the potential positive effects outweigh the potential trauma.
    point, i'll mention it to my doctor - though i will feel pretty silly saying i have a phobia of vomiting. Its such an annoying phobia :(
  • Options
    Just curious.. I'm thinking of switching from the pill to the jab 'cos it's more convenient.. a couple of you said you switched back to the pill.. are there any negative aspects to the jab then?
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Just curious.. I'm thinking of switching from the pill to the jab 'cos it's more convenient.. a couple of you said you switched back to the pill.. are there any negative aspects to the jab then?
    i've heard it can make you put on weight and send your moods funny
  • Options
    it's important to remember that alot of people get no side effects at all and you could be one of those people too.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:

they're the same kinds of things as the pill. the only trouble is that if you have a bad reaction to the jab you just have to wait until it wears off. if you're on the pill you can stop taking it immediately and get rid of the side effects much quicker.

some things suit some people, some things don't. it's a trial and error thing.
  • Options
    I haven't really put on weight since I went on the pill a year ago, but I've found it a lot harder to lose weight. I've been 8 stone 6 for about 10 months now! And I think my moods are pretty mad as it is.
    I wouldn't worry about the nausia - I've never felt any.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I haven't really put on weight since I went on the pill a year ago, but I've found it a lot harder to lose weight. I've been 8 stone 6 for about 10 months now! And I think my moods are pretty mad as it is.
    I wouldn't worry about the nausia - I've never felt any.
    why would you want to lose weight if you're 8st 6?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

A lot of people don't throw up... I was often sick with my periods anyway so I think I'm more sensitive about hormone changes and stuff. Maybe mention it to the doctor and I'm sure they can talk you through everything.
  • Options
    When I'm about 8-8'2, my stomach doesn't bulge so much. I think I'm only that light because I don't have much muscle.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    When I'm about 8-8'2, my stomach doesn't bulge so much. I think I'm only that light because I don't have much muscle.
    my stomache still bulges a bit and im 8st or just under...the only time it was flat was when i went down to 7 1/2 stone from being ill
    i am a wee bit ashamed as im a dancer...meant to have good abs :blush: but oh well, i'm still 1 of the thinest there
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    my stomache still bulges a bit and im 8st or just under...the only time it was flat was when i went down to 7 1/2 stone from being ill
    i am a wee bit ashamed as im a dancer...meant to have good abs :blush: but oh well, i'm still 1 of the thinest there

Lucky you! I can't seem to stop myself eating nowadays.. maybe its boredom.. but I binge all the time. I'm not half as big as I should be. Wish I could get down to 8, tho. Lay off the crisps for a while.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    Lucky you! I can't seem to stop myself eating nowadays.. maybe its boredom.. but I binge all the time. I'm not half as big as I should be. Wish I could get down to 8, tho. Lay off the crisps for a while.
    how tall are you?
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    i tend to binge, but i'm quite active which is probably the only thing stopping me piling it all on! I wouldn't get funny about your weight, you're perfectly fine. Just eat well.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

i don't think they have really.

think about it, people aren't going to come and make a thread saying 'omg microgynon is ACE!!!! :D'. people are only going to make threads to moan about it.

it's also wholly dependent on the individual. i for example, haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. even if you do, you can go back to the docs after a few months and get it changed.
  • Options
    I've been on Microgynon for 2 years and I've never had any problems with it, all all, was fine since i first went on it.

Whether or not you get side effects, or what they are, depend on the individual.
  • Options
    Migraine

I started taking mycrogynon 30 right b4 i went on holiday, and towards the end of the 1st pack i began to see flashing lights and got a severe headache. Ive had migraines a few times before but ive read they can be a dangerous sign when on the pill, linking to bloodclots.

I was confused because these can also be symptoms of sunstroke and I had been spending a lot of time in the sun.

When i stopped for the 7 day break I got severe stomach cramps and a very heavy period- which is odd because I thought the pill was supposed to do the opposite of this?

Should I see my doctor before starting the next pack?

Sarah
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    point, i'll mention it to my doctor - though i will feel pretty silly saying i have a phobia of vomiting. Its such an annoying phobia :(
    tell her and she may prescribe you with something to ease any sickness you get.
  • Options
    this is a really old thread :)