Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

taking an ex back?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now I know there is a reason for why you broke up in the first place, but what if that problem was out of your control and doesn't exist now?

So many people have different views on this. Some will never go back, whereas others get back with their ex and live happily ever after.

I broke up with my ex a few months ago, basically to help him, even though he didn't want to. But I'm still in love with him. He really loved me as well, but our break up affected him badly and he's hardened himself towards me in the romantic sense. He knows I want him back but he's asking for time. At first he was really resistant, adamant that he wouldn't allow me to hurt him again. But then I asked him if he'd be happier if I just gave up and he said he doesn't know. ARGH!

Let me hear your success stories to give me some hope! I don't mind the sad stories either!

Comments

• Options
    I got together with a guy id been friends with over the net for several years after we met in person, with 200 miles between us. Things were great but after 2 months he suddenly broke it off cause he thought he wasn't good enough. We kept in contact for a while but it just wasn't the same, he was stiff with me. Eventually we lost touch, i tried to contact him but never heard anything. I decided if he wanted to get in touch then he would, and left it. For months nothing, then at the begining of september i finally heard from him. We got talking again, found out we'd both been through depressive and tough times. Finally met up again...and it went from there. Took me a while to re gain my confidence with him. But now we're back together and better than ever! :)
  • Options
    My brother and his girlfriend split up, only for like a month or so but then they got back together! They realised they got stuck in a rut and took each other for granted and thought the best thing was to split, but while they were split they knew they loved each other more then they knew and got back together!

But then again my mate took her fella back, he had cheated on her and she dumped him, then she took him back and he cheated on her again :rolleyes: but it depends on the circumstatnces why you split in the first tme!

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    In my experience getting back together has never worked any better than the first time, just makes it more painful.
  • Options
    lil lal wrote:
    In my experience getting back together has never worked any better than the first time, just makes it more painful.
    :yes: I agree with you here. It just makes things worse in the long run. Exes are meant to be exes.
  • Options
    it depends on the circumstances!.
    never take back someone that cheated on you though!
  • Options
    I would say don't know means they haven't finished shagging other people yet. Give up on idea.
  • Options
    lil lal wrote:

I totally agree with you.
  • Options
    there's always that one ex who even though you try to hide it an try to hate them you still have feelings for, even if they are hate feelings you can't stop feeling atleast something.

Very true. :(

I went back to my (now once again) ex, and things worked...for a while. When we split up the second time it was for a completely different reason and we were happy in the interim period. In retrospect, going back to him was a ridiculous thing to do, but you have to make your own decision - nobody has the rule book or knows the cheats when love's the game, try and listen to a healthy combination of your head and heart.

If you do go back to him then don't do it on his terms, don't feel guilty about things you've both said and done in the past. I'm of the opinion that it has to be almost like an entirely new relationship - don't just slip back into a comfortable relationship. If you think that newly single, on the market you would single this fella out for a relationship then go for it, start afresh etc etc. I know you love him and it's hard, but it might just be better to draw a line under it and move on - for now. Maybe when he gets over feeling hurt, and softens toward you a little then there's a chance of happy reconciliation. :) Hmm, I'm not sure if any of that makes sense - I just mean you should think carefully, but don't rule out getting back together just because most people have horror stories (and they usually do!).

On a happy note, a non-horror story. One of my best friends got back together with her ex after 18 months apart (he dropped out of Uni, got into loads of debt...long story to that break-up) and they're getting hitched this summer. So it does work out, shared history is a powerful thing...you just need to decipher whether it needs to stay in the past (as a valuable lesson) or not.
  • Options
    It completely depends on why you split up, I think.