Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Transfering data between PC's

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
As I'm sure most of you know I've just bought a new PC and got it up and running. Sadly on my old PC most of the internal components are fecked, and it doesnt work at all, yet I need to get a ton of uni work, pictures; and 2500 mp3's off the Hard Drive. My new PC has nowhere spare to put it in, and neither do I have the technical no how. I'm really looking for a solution. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Sorry to bring up my own threads. Been speaking to my flatmate and his dad has an IDE to USB cable. Would this work if I plug the USB section into my new PC and the IDE end into the back of the HDD?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They sell those IDE to USB kits in Maplin for about £30 i think, they claim to work with hard disks too, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • Options
    You can get an external caddy that you can whack the old drive in then you plug it in via usb.
  • Options
    Just get yourself one of those.
    Then all you need to do is open old system, unplug HD, unscrew it and remove it.
    Just plug in and screw it back in the HD external box. Close the box, plug via USB and you are done.

Even if you don't know fuck all about computer, it's really easy to do.

I used the same model as shown in link from that shop in the past and work perfectly and was straight forward. A bit noisy maybe. But cheap and easy to use.
  • Options
    Cheers mate, works straight away no problem. Now to try and access the files stored in documents and settings > username :|