Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mental Health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
afternoon,

Do you know if people are able to see shrinks and stuff through your doctor?

I'm now 24 and my mum died when I was 14, never really grieved and have always thought I was fine but going through a bit of a rough patch at the moment and splitting up from my girlfriend. Can't stop thinking about my mum and feel like I need to talk to someone about it. Think it would do me the world of good but cannot really afford to pay to see someone.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers guy's!

Comments

• Options
    yes, go to your gp. Hopefully, theyll be able to arrange counselling.
  • Options
    these guys might be helpful too http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/
  • Options
    your GP can arrange for you to see a councellor. often though, it's a different person who deals with you each week so it's hard to build up a trust. this might not be the case with you so yeh, definitely, your GP can arrange for you to see a councellor on the NHS.
  • Options
    Thanks guy's,

just moved so need to find a new GP and then will ask!
  • Options
    I've found that there are two forms of help available from your GP - a counsellor, and a psychologist. I've tried counsellors in the past, and personally didn't find any of them much use. I think they tend to ask routine questions, and whilst they were trying to help me, it felt like it was just something they had to do.

With a psychologist, I found things to be a lot better. The questions were thought-provoking, and suited to the specific circumstances rather than just simple, generic stuff.

I've no idea whether you'll need anything more than a counsellor, I just thought I'd mention that there are other avenues available to you if you felt you needed them.

It can take a while to get an appointment with either - and even when you do start seeing them, don't get too hung-up on getting instant results. :)
  • Options
    HIya
    Grief has a funny way of sneaking up on you like this, but it's good you can recognise it and try and get help.

Try the Cruse Bereavement link katralla gave you - they're really good. And this link might help you too:

Dealing with death

Take care :)
  • Options
    Thank you very much guy's, much apprciated!