Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ethics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do the ends justify the means?

Is world peace and harmony a justifiable end for Genocide or some other attrocity?

I was watching a film you see and the question came up very prevolently and made me think.

I am not sure, i suppose life is more important then world peace. But then again, i am not a true believer in a cause such as that. A true believer may think differently.

(Can anyone guess the film i saw???)

Comments

• Options
    was it Demolition Man?
  • Options
    NAH! That film sucks too much.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    subject13 wrote:
    NAH! That film sucks too much.
    Fuck you, that was an ACE film!

Ethics is all bullshit, imho. Ethics in no was exist, it is all the mass choice of that culture. It is determined as such.
  • Options
    I've not a clue what film you watched, but Hotel Rwanda made me think a lot about whether it was worth paying for peace with genocide. Come on, don't keep us in suspense...what did you watch!?

I'm not sure if the end justifies the means, I'd say 'I'll tell you at the end' but I probably won't be around to do so. :p
  • Options
    I liked Demolition Man. It was a good film.

No sure what film you watched. Zulu?
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    I liked Demolition Man. It was a good film.

No sure what film you watched. Zulu?

Zulu has nothing to do with the means justifying the end.
  • Options
    SERENITY!

HAHA, no one would think of that! Part of the film is about this Operative of the Alliance who is unwaveringly loyal to the Alliance, and although he knows what he does is evil and montrous he does it anyway for the greater good...until he is shown the greater good he seeks is actually not good at all.
  • Options
    Indeed, tho Zulu is a great film and one I would think Subject would watch, hence why I suggested it.

Serenity is indeed a great film.

How about free will? Is that more important then peace and harmony?

In Angel season 4, Jasmine , a power that be in human form, brought peace and love to the area around her, it would have been worldwide if she hadnt have been stopped.

It would have been peace on earth, with the cost of a say a few hundred or thousand lives a year because she ate people.

Would have been worth it?

The good guys arguments is that humanity isnt perfeect but at least its free and she took away free will.

Tho then someone representing evil told them that they did the best thing possible for evil becasue they stopped world peace and while the people would have been slaves, it would have only been to happiness and love.

Interesting I thought.
  • Options
    Serenity is indeed a good film. Firefly is better at getting the central message accross though, and is well worth picking up.

If you had a method that was guaranteed to work to bring total peace etc then it might be justifiable. No one does though, because people aren't perfectable, they are ends in themselves and already complete.
  • Options
    Interesting mix - ethics & politics. Does anyone still believe that our so-called representatives are ethical, honest, or even, dare I say, represent us! I think they're a bunch of pigs with their snouts buried in the trough of self-interest & greed. Democracy is a "sham", designed to sleep-walk us into a totalitarian state where our every thought, word and action is closely monitored, and where we are mere numbers who, live/die, work/consume. End.
    The frightening thing is we are well on the path to this hell! Will anyone wake up in time?
  • Options
    I dunno dude, but what were the three sea shells for?

I first watched Demolition Man in the Bahamas, so there were plenty of seashells around. And, get this for funny- I took the toilet paper out of my Aunt's toilet and replaced it with... three sea shells! :hyper:
  • Options
    I thought the 3 sea shells were like a Japanese toilet, with built in Beday, powder and blow-drier.