Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Looking for PHP script

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am looking for a script that will let my input say an email address that will display as a kind of database of addys. Also I want it to have a function where a user can mark the addy as dead or active.

Comments

• Options
    might be something of use here: http://www.v7n.com/scripts/ not really looked through it though.
  • Options
    might find something like thtat www.hostscripts.com
    might be www.hot-scripts.com.
  • Options
    Since we're talking about scripts anyone know how to write a script that says

Our Next Meeting Will Be On ......

And then automatically tell you when the next meeting will be on, either based on a table of dates or by simply working out for example when the next meeting is based on it being something like the last Tuesday of each month or last friday of each month, etc? But excluding the months of august and december where there are no meetings?

Every month I have to manually edit our website's welcome page with a new date and upload it and it's a bit of a pain, if it could read a table or something then that would be good.
  • Options
    The two scripts requested in here should be simple enough - write them yourselves! Have a read over at www.phpbuilder.net, trawl the forums, and have a stab!

There really isn't anything all that complicated about PHP - though I haven't touched it for a few years now...
  • Options
    The two scripts requested in here should be simple enough - write them yourselves! Have a read over at www.phpbuilder.net, trawl the forums, and have a stab!

There really isn't anything all that complicated about PHP - though I haven't touched it for a few years now...

If we could write them ourselves we wouldn't be posting on here in the first place

If it was that easy to do then everyone would be a computer programmer.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but have you even looked at the site I linked to? Have a look in the forums over there. Tell them what you're after, and they'll most likely help you out.

PHP is as easy as cooking. Everyone can do a little something, when they have the right instructions. I can't cook to save my life, but I can bodge enough together to make something edible.
  • Options
    Since we're talking about scripts anyone know how to write a script that says

Our Next Meeting Will Be On ......

And then automatically tell you when the next meeting will be on, either based on a table of dates or by simply working out for example when the next meeting is based on it being something like the last Tuesday of each month or last friday of each month, etc? But excluding the months of august and december where there are no meetings?

Every month I have to manually edit our website's welcome page with a new date and upload it and it's a bit of a pain, if it could read a table or something then that would be good.

SELECT when FROM meetings WHERE when>now() ORDER BY when LIMIT 1

for best results, make sure your meetings table has a key on when
  • Options
    If it was that easy to do then everyone would be a computer programmer.
    web pages are not real programming.
  • Options
    The thing is that for both of the things that you've talked about here you are likely to need some sort of back end database to actually drive the things - even if that "database" is actually just a text file.

Do you have access to mysql with your hosting? (It'd normally be mysql with php stuff)

You could probably do the email thing with a text file, though if you haven't got shell access the text file would need to reside in your web space and would therefore be open to people downloading it.

The meeting thing would be more suited to a small database and you'd probably extract the info for next meeing in a statement similar to the one big gay provided.

More info needed to sort this I think.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    web pages are not real programming.

How did you figure that one out, given the range of server-side programming languages that can be used to create web sites e.g. PHP, Python, Perl, ASP.NET, C# etc.
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote:
    How did you figure that one out, given the range of server-side programming languages that can be used to create web sites e.g. PHP, Python, Perl, ASP.NET, C# etc.
    web pages are just data presentation, not real programming. A real programmer can do web pages, but someone who does web pages doesn't have to be a programmer - any more than someone who uses a spreadsheet is a programmer.
  • Options
    If you knew anything you would know that the majority of popular web services are actually very complex programs.
  • Options
    Oh yeah and if anyone wants any scripting done my prices are very reasonable.
  • Options
    relentless wrote:
    If you knew anything
    I certainly do.
    you would know that the majority of popular web services are actually very complex programs.
    It depends on what you mean by "popular web service", and 'complex program". The vast majority of dynamic web pages are just a just a small set of badly written scripts.

The web programming for google is pretty simple; It's spider and cataloguer, on the other hand are more interesting - however they populate the dataase that the goole web service extracts data from, and have no connection with the web service itself.