Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

URGENT! - Laptop Problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok heres the deal i had View hidden files on and there was a file on my desktop and its called " ntoskrnl.exe. " I deleted thinking nothing about it i turned my computer off last night went to turn it on and i got an error message saying that this file has been deleted or crupt and i cant log onto windows or get the Windows loading screen up

I dont want the crap you should of backed up and things like this or Tut tut

I just need to know how i can get my files back URGENTly

Thank you very much

p.s i will format once i get my files

Comments

• Options
    You should be able to use the windows repair functionality by booting off the windows xp cd to replace this file.

I'm surprised that you were able to delete it without windows moaning.
  • Options
    So am i

the thing is its a dell and it didnt come with a Disk for windows so i tryed to use a Windows xp home SP2 cd and i put it in and boot from it Press r for repair and then it tells me to pick something so i press 1 and then it asks for admin password i just press enter and then it just says C:/WINDOWS>
  • Options
    + does anyone know of a backup program that will make me a backup with out my having to say yes yes do it one that will do a background backup? so if something like this ever happens i have that to fall onto?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    So am i

the thing is its a dell and it didnt come with a Disk for windows so i tryed to use a Windows xp home SP2 cd and i put it in and boot from it Press r for repair and then it tells me to pick something so i press 1 and then it asks for admin password i just press enter and then it just says C:/WINDOWS>

yeah, that's the recovery console. You now have to copy across the relevant file from the cd into the proper place, if you can find it.

Otherwise I think there is a graphical automated recovery if you choose different options.
  • Options
    Ill just have to format :banghead: All them pictures from holidays and stuff Docs! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • Options
    If they are not in the "MY DOCUMENTS" then you could just over-install the existing windows installation. (no need to format) Unfortunately my documents gets wiped.

Also quite often the recovery options just throw files back without formatting.
  • Options
    Another option if you have two machines is to take the drive out of that one, put it as a slave into another, then copy the files that you want off it.
  • Options
    That would be extremly good but no one will let me touch there laptop.

Ive formated now anyway, and going to invest in a Extenal hard drive and Backup programs
  • Options
    google for a program called 'recover my files' you can use the trial version to recovr msot of your hard disk, even after a low-level format. You should beable to recover quite a bit.
  • Options
    I dont think i can now ive formated but Using Dells way press ctrl F10 / F11 I can never remember which!

Anyway and i did a system Restore which removes everything and sets it back to the way i 1st got it.
  • Options
    ouchies. you could have probably saved your files :/

ive got two partitions on my hdd so I can format the pc without losing all my documents
  • Options
    recovermyfiles (spelt with no spaces ) will get them after a format

ive done it before, useful little proggie