Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Building a thicker skin

Possible? Only possible by avoiding exfoliation?

This is a weird subject, I'm just wondering who here would consider themselves to have a thick skin, or if a lot of "thick-skinned" people are secretly cut to ribbons inside by things that they show no emotion over...?

Personally, I tend to really take things to heart, and have always had to focus a lot of my energy on learning to be better at taking criticism. I even find well-meant "constructive criticism" hard to take on the chin, sometimes.

I think it probably stems from my nature, I'm something of a perfectionist - especially in certain areas of my life, and the need to be perfect, liked, loved.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know but im exactly the same. If I think people dont like me, I can get quite upset (not all the time, but quite often) I have real trouble with criticism too, even when its jokey sometimes.
  • Options
    could this be a self-esteem issue?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    could this be a self-esteem issue?
    probly
  • Options
    It's definitely partly a self-esteem issue.

I just wish I could be one of those people who doesn't sweat the small stuff, though I do think a lot of people who develop a thicker skin do a full 180 and start being the one who hurls the barbed comment etc.

There must be some kind of balance though.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    It's definitely partly a self-esteem issue.

I just wish I could be one of those people who doesn't sweat the small stuff, though I do think a lot of people who develop a thicker skin do a full 180 and start being the one who hurls the barbed comment etc.

There must be some kind of balance though.

I think being sensitive, caring about others and what others think and are feeling isnt completely negative. The people pleasing thing might be one of your reasons for nursing - it was definitely one of mine
  • Options
    To be fair i can be either or depending on who it's coming from. Although i will never ever show anyone how much anything has really hurt me no matter what is said. The things that tend to get to me are the ones that i feel are true or strike a cord. e.g when i hear a rumour or someone calls me a tart or a slag then i laugh and cut them down to size as it doesn't bother me as i i know it's so far from the truth it's laughable but when someone made a comment about my lack of sense of humour i sort of took it to heart as my dad always tells people i'm missing a sense of humour so it sort of rung a bell. I think i just tend to get quite indignant about the whole thing.

At the end of the day i'm pretty thick skinned and when things do hurt me i tend to cover it quite well as i'm pretty good at defensive sarcasm so most people don't tend to bother me.
  • Options
    I think being sensitive, caring about others and what others think and are feeling isnt completely negative. The people pleasing thing might be one of your reasons for nursing - it was definitely one of mine

You're right, it's not a negative thing. I think you hit the nail on the head about Nursing, it's something I've noticed about quite a lot of people on my course as well. :yes:
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    At the end of the day i'm pretty thick skinned and when things do hurt me i tend to cover it quite well as i'm pretty good at defensive sarcasm so most people don't tend to bother me.

You see, that's kind of what I'm wondering. Is it better to appear thick-skinned and unflustered if someone make a remark that's cutting...or to show that you're offended or hurt? Obviously the middle-ground would be ideal... :chin:
  • Options
    I have real trouble with criticism too. I'm one of those people who on the surface seems fine about comments/criticism made to them, but goes home and cries because they are upset and don't want to show it.
  • Options
    I have real trouble with criticism too. I'm one of those people who on the surface seems fine about comments/criticism made to them, but goes home and cries because they are upset and don't want to show it.

me three.

although it does depend on the person who's said it. if it's someone i like, respect and get on with, i can get quite (inwardly) upset, cause i think there might be some truth in it, and i can obsess over it for weeks.

but if it's someone i know doesn't like me and is probably just being spiteful, i don't lose any sleep over it.
  • Options
    People I meet tend to think I have a very thick skin because I can be loud and take the piss out of myself a bit when I first get to know people, its a front really because I take things to heart a lot of the time. I get upset if someone doesn't like me most of the time, I worry a lot too about what people are thinking.

Sad really!
  • Options
    hm, if i get mindless throw away insults i come back with something witty, and i'll stand up for my friends more than what i do for myself
    i still get hurt and upset quite easily though
  • Options
    I think a lot of the time it's the people you least expect that get the most upset about things like that.

I would probably stick up for myself too but cry about it afterwards, lol.
  • Options
    I think a lot of the time it's the people you least expect that get the most upset about things like that.

I would probably stick up for myself too but cry about it afterwards, lol.

Yeah, I'm a lot better at sticking up for other people than myself. Probably because if a personal attack is made on me I usually wish the ground would open up and swallow me.

ITA that it's the people you'd least expect, which is why I think sometimes people who create the illusion of being thick-skinned are the ones who are most hurt. Sometimes, of course.
  • Options
    i'm a bit of a weirdo. sometimes i'm really thick skinned and have a who cares attitude but then sometimes i'm the opposite and people get me down. i guess it just makes me, me though!
  • Options
    well one, i love you as a mate, our long chats through pm's, and msn when it works

two

i think its always worth at least trying to put an "im not bothered" image up in front of people, cause it gives you a chance to see how they react to you, and what kind of person you like, its an oppertunity to see what they are like inside at times, whether they are bawling at you, or just talking

at work its sometimes the little and tiny things that bother me to hell, and people at work know that, so when im bottling it all up, they dont think im ok, they just know that im stressed, im aware that they know, and i think its worth making the effort to get on as normal, as to avoid any further disturbances
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i think its always worth at least trying to put an "im not bothered" image up in front of people, cause it gives you a chance to see how they react to you, and what kind of person you like, its an oppertunity to see what they are like inside at times, whether they are bawling at you, or just talking

at work its sometimes the little and tiny things that bother me to hell, and people at work know that, so when im bottling it all up, they dont think im ok, they just know that im stressed, im aware that they know, and i think its worth making the effort to get on as normal, as to avoid any further disturbances

I know what you mean and I do this but I don't think its particularly useful to hide the fact that your bothered about stuff because people then see you as someone who will just take it and not let it affect them. I do this all the time and act like I'm not bothered when really I am, its unhealthy not to let anyone in.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You see, that's kind of what I'm wondering. Is it better to appear thick-skinned and unflustered if someone make a remark that's cutting...or to show that you're offended or hurt? Obviously the middle-ground would be ideal... :chin:

I find a solid jab to the solar plexus works best, although that's just my personal taste.

You're best off with a thick-skinned response if you ain't going to give it back. The alternative is appearing weak, and in doing so presenting yourself as an easy target for everyone who doesn't like you.
  • Options
    Being able to admit that something has upset you is one of the things that makes a good leader. :thumb:

I used to take everything said as a highly personal attack against me and me alone. Then I started working on my self esteem and although I still sometimes tend to think people are against me, I am not bothered nearly as much about stupid comments said that nobody really means. I don't obsess over words as much as I used to and I feel much better about myself.

But if somebody I thought was close told me something nasty in person and meant it, I would be upset and rightly so. However, I might try to hide it and go and sob at home because I still don't deal very well with emotions.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Being able to admit that something has upset you is one of the things that makes a good leader. :thumb:

How's that?

If someone trying to 'lead' me was getting upset regularly i'd fuck him off and take over myself. Being easily upset = weakness. Weakness = not good for being a leader.
  • Options
    I have a clear approach now to dealing with criticism. If it's from someone unimportant who knows nothing about me, I pretty much ignore it. The only people I'll take any criticism from now are friends and family. Anyone else can pretty much shove it. Cruel? Maybe.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    How's that?

If someone trying to 'lead' me was getting upset regularly i'd fuck him off and take over myself. Being easily upset = weakness. Weakness = not good for being a leader.

No, you're misunderstanding. I didn't say "being whimpy is one of the things that makes a leader", now did I?

Having the emotional intelligence to tell somebody that you were a little upset about not getting a job, for example, rather than keeping it in OR bawling your eyes out is preferred. It's not weakness to admit that you wanted something even if you did not get it, now is it?

And being a damn hard guy/woman who is cold as a fish does not a good leader make. I'd have no respect for the bastard who keeps telling me I don't work hard enough or can't tell me anything without appearing as bossing me about just becausea it's his job to. Like hell am I going to help him get a fatter paycheck.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:
    Having the emotional intelligence to tell somebody that you were a little upset about not getting a job, for example, rather than keeping it in OR bawling your eyes out is preferred. It's not weakness to admit that you wanted something even if you did not get it, now is it?

That isn't a measure of emotional intelligence. No, it isn't weak to admit you wanted something you didn't get, although that doesn't necessarily mean you're particularly upset about it. Anyway, the reference is to 'cutting remarks' and what not...i.e interpersonal.
    And being a damn hard guy/woman who is cold as a fish does not a good leader make. I'd have no respect for the bastard who keeps telling me I don't work hard enough or can't tell me anything without appearing as bossing me about just becausea it's his job to. Like hell am I going to help him get a fatter paycheck.

Being thick-skinned doesn't equate to emotional coldness.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote:

Haha I will keep that in mind...

[Now that I've had a few drinks] I'm of the perspective that I personally feeling this way because of a certain person, though generally I actually think I might find criticism harder to take from people I've just met or don't know well. That's totally backward, as I shouldn't give a fuck about what they think, but I do. Back to the people pleasing etc.
    Spliffie wrote:
    You're best off with a thick-skinned response if you ain't going to give it back. The alternative is appearing weak, and in doing so presenting yourself as an easy target for everyone who doesn't like you.

Aye, you're right. I'm not generally one for "giving it back" which is why I think developing a thick skin is the answer...it's not as if I burst into tears everytime someone says something awful, but it does stay with me. I suppose it's the same for everyone, the difference is some people don't give a fig what random people think of them. Ah well.

I'd never want to become a hard-faced bitch, I just think there's a lot to be said for a little bit of toughness. Middle ground is ideal, as I think I said before. :thumb:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:

Aye, you're right. I'm not generally one for "giving it back" which is why I think developing a thick skin is the answer...it's not as if I burst into tears everytime someone says something awful, but it does stay with me. I suppose it's the same for everyone, the difference is some people don't give a fig what random people think of them. Ah well.

I'd never want to become a hard-faced bitch, I just think there's a lot to be said for a little bit of toughness. Middle ground is ideal, as I think I said before. :thumb:

The ideal is being able to switch from one extreme to other. :yes:
  • Options
    When I get criticised I make a joke out of it, and act a bit arrogant, when, in fact, I'm seriously hurt by it...it's a recent thing though, used to just cry straight out :S