Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Liverpool to glasgow.. alone!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey.

Next weekend I'll be travelling by train from Liverpool to Glasgow alone to visit my brother, with one change at Wigan. I'm only 15 and have never travelled solo before. I am really nervous about it incase something happens to me, or I get on the wrong train, etc. And I'll be extremely bored for over 6 hours. Any advice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You'll be fine. Wigan North Western only has four platforms, and only one of those heads north to Glasgow.

Take a good book.
  • Options
    I'll still get lost or miss the train. I just know it.
  • Options
    Just make sure you have plenty of time, check which platform you're leaving from as soon as you get to the station. You can also ask the platform staff in case you aren't sure or if you're lost. Don't worry, it gets a lot less scary after the first time!

As for boredom...I find train journeys are good for thinking time. A good book and my iPod and I'm away! :D
  • Options
    If you manage to get lost in Wigan North Western station, then you deserve a medal.

There are four platforms. Two are dead-ends. One is northbound, one is southbound. Glasgow is northbound;)

It'll tell you on the station monitors. Miss your train because the train from Liverpool was late, and just get on the next Glasgow one.
  • Options
    A good book and my iPod and I'm away! :D

Would help if my mp3 player worked :yeees: :(
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    Would help if my mp3 player worked :yeees: :(

:( Isn't there an old tape / cd player you could dig out?
  • Options
    No :crying:
  • Options
    Take some headphones.

All Virgin train services have an at-seat radio system, like on planes. If you don't have headphones, you can buy them from the on-board shop for £3.
  • Options
    I take it's Virgin Radio...
  • Options
    Nah, there's 10 channels.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/travelling_with_us/onboard/at_seat_audio/default.aspx

Better than a slap in the face with a wet trout.
  • Options
    i was going from Euston to Glasgow on my own from about age 12, mind you, it was a direct train. I think you have one thing to remember - CHANGE AT WIGAN.
    youll be fine, and then youll feel all independent and good about yourself afterwards.
    dont worry.
  • Options
    and if you're not sure you're getting on the right train, just ask someone! 15's not THAT young to be travelling alone. take some books, magazines, or sleep.
  • Options
    I think you have one thing to remember - CHANGE AT WIGAN.

You won't even have a choice with that, most trains from Liverpool to Wigan North Western finish at Wigan.
  • Options
    But I might a train that goes through Wigan. I have no idea yet.
  • Options
    You should be okay. If in any doubt, just ask one of the staff at Wigan train station. In a sense, you're kinda lucky. The first time I travelled alone, I had to change at Crewe station, which is a nightmare to navigate. The staff will try to help you, speaking from experience. As for the boredom, get a long novel, buy some magazines, newspapers... or just nap for a couple of hours! Don't you worry, tink - you'll be fine.
  • Options
    __tink wrote:
    But I might a train that goes through Wigan. I have no idea yet.

In that case, it'll terminate at Preston, at which the Glasgow trains also stop.

Honestly, don't worry. It's a simple change.

Both Wigan North Western and Preston are quite small stations, Wigan North Western is only four platforms. Station staff will help you. The station monitors will help you.

Wigan North Western is one of the easiest stations to make a change at, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    I am in the same situation as you although to a different place because i am travelling alone from Stoke to Cardiff next weekend and i have never been on a train before. I'm not too worried as how hard could it be plus the staff are always there to help if things get tricky.
  • Options
    Worst case scenario chickens.... you go to the wrong place. So what? I'll assume you have mobiles, you can phone and let people know, and people in train stations are very helpful.... and on the trains themselves.

Me and my mate fell asleep on a train and ended up in Bournemouth. We live in the Midlands. Imagine the hysterical laughter after the shock had died off :p
  • Options
    I'm setting off for Glasgow tomorrow, and thankfully, my parents are getting the train with me to Wigan, then making sure I get on the train to Glasgow okay.
  • Options
    you'll be fine, i did doncaster - taunton when i was about your age.

if you get stuck with your connecting train just ask someone who works there - but generally the screens are helpful. you just need to know where the train you're getting on at wigan ends 'cause that's where it'll say on the screen.

i did end up stuck at a station for 3 hours on my tod though. and it was a horrible one.
  • Options
    I did it and got home yesterday. Was really chuffed cause it went surprisingly well (except for some delays coming back and nearly missing my connection) but confident about using trains again now.
  • Options
    connections can be a nightmare! glad you made it okay. :D