Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pointing Out Your Friend's Faults

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have you ever had to point out your friend's faults?

If so how did it go?

I've just done a big email to a friend I've know for most of my life, as he's recently gone from being a really decent guy to one that uses you as the butt of all his jokes, etc and tries to put everyone down.

Most of it seemed to get triggered off when he bought a flash car and suddenly acted like he was better then everyone else when his previous car was an old banger.

Why is it some guys get so obsessed with their cars? I think it's because they have low self esteem and see their own personal image embodied in their cars somehow ...

Comments

• Options
    Why is it some guys get so obsessed with their cars?

I don't know, apparantly some think it's a cool thing.

Maybe for some it is because of power.
    Having a powerful car, behing able to show off and shit.

I think the love for the car thing is a bit sad really.

As long as it drive you wherever you want to go, who gives a shit really imo...
  • Options

If so how did it go?

I dont point out my friends faults, unless of course they do something which i find totally unacceptible (cant actually think of any time this has happened...probably because my friends are mainly ace :D) but anyway yes i have told my friends when im not happy with them if they cancelled at the last minute or something. If they had faults that i hated that much then i doubt they would be my friend in the first place.
    I've just done a big email to a friend I've know for most of my life, as he's recently gone from being a really decent guy to one that uses you as the butt of all his jokes, etc and tries to put everyone down.

Most of it seemed to get triggered off when he bought a flash car and suddenly acted like he was better then everyone else when his previous car was an old banger.

Why is it some guys get so obsessed with their cars? I think it's because they have low self esteem and see their own personal image embodied in their cars somehow

I would definitly tell someone what i think of them if they turned to be embedded up their own arse.

As for the cars thing, some men think that it makes up for lack of personality/looks/penis
    If someone starts bowing down to someone because of their car then they are as bad themselves. Cars and in fact any object means nothing to me personally, im all about *people*
  • Options
    Big/flashy car = phallicmobile.

On topic, I've never pointed out anybody's faults to them...let alone a friend's. That said, I'm pretty sure a lot of the people I know well are already aware of their own faults and desperately trying to compensate/hide them, so to point them out would be pretty mean-spirited.

However, if they're being a massive tool, I think it's completely within your rights to tell them so.
  • Options
    i'll admit im pretty useless when it comes to things
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

If so how did it go?

Why is it some guys get so obsessed with their cars? I think it's because they have low self esteem and see their own personal image embodied in their cars somehow ...

Hi ya,
    It's a really brave thing to confront a friend when we feel they're acting unreasonable and the fact you want to help him suggests you really value him as a friend and don't want to see him lose the people who have mattered in his life. Have a look at this article on shameful mates How your friend reacts should give you an idea of whether or not they value your friendship.
  • Options
    or maybe his car really is teh coolest and all others are beneath him now that he has it?

Seriously though: maybe his new car has given him a a bad attitude, I think it's understandable- new fast cars etc ARE a buzz. If you give him a telling off, it might just do the trick, jolt him into putting it into perspective and to go back to being the reasonable friend he was before, only with a cooler car. Also, maybe he'll calm down about it if you show the car a bit of love, it might not be your thing but he's obviously achieved something he wanted and that he's proud of.
  • Options
    maybe hes just trying to compensate for something :p
  • Options

If so how did it go?

my group of friends would just rip the piss out of him and if he tried to put me down in front of others. I'd put him in his place and everyone would laugh at him :D
  • Options
    Well a bit of quasi-insulting banter with one's mates is perfectly fine, but if it turns into a load of calculated, snidey sniping then that's not really on.

Supreme confidence in blokes is a good thing (so I keep reading) but a good mate would use their newly acquired confidence to try and build up their friends (i.e. 'you can achieve this too') not knock them down.
  • Options
    Have you ever had to point out your friend's faults? If so how did it go?
    I criticised one of my mates for refusing to ever admit to being in the wrong, for never apologising. She took it badly, but accepted it later.
  • Options
    I can deal with banter and have a good laugh, but if a "friend" was putting me down/using me as the butt of their jokes, I'd drop them.

A little anger never goes amiss, either.
  • Options
    I had a friend like this but probably not as bad. I think the problem was she was having a really shite time with her on/off cheating fella and everyone used to give her hell about it in the pub so i think she just tried to take it out on me for some odd reason.

I used to get comments like "oh god don't bother she's too dumb" or "well that's the sort of thick thing you'd say" or "what with those weak little muscles" etc. It was either comments about my intelligence or my strength. I don't know where the hell she got the intelligence thing from, maybe an insecurity thing about her own but in the end i just turned round one day and told her she was out of order and that she was being really rude and reall harsh. She tried to laugh it off and say she only meant it as a joke but i think she then realised and apologised. She sometimes drops back into the bad habit but i just state my case rather loudly or end up making a sarky comment back which usually stops her.

I'm afraid i'm a sod for it though and usually have to bite my lip so i don't end up telling people when they're out of order because i have a very bad habit of saying oi you that's wrong to people.