Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

laptop, pc and wireless

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right well I got a laptop on saturday and I want to use it for wireless internet so I bought the router and now have probs as I can link it to my pc as it doesn't have the appropriate slot. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    does your laptop have wireless built-in or did you buy a wireless card for the laptop?
  • Options
    you dont have the right slot? an ethernet port?

you can pickup an ethernet card for about a fiver from any good computer store, you'll need one to configur ethe router anyway.
  • Options
    I have one built in my laptop. Also do I have to link my pc in order to have wireless? My pc is really crap and was only going to use it for my laptop.
  • Options
    Sorry Kaz little confused on your message. Let me see if i can get this right.
    You have a PC, Laptop and wireless router.

1. The Laptop has a built in wireless card. Is the laptop connecting to the router?
    2. Does the router have any physical network ports, so you can connect the PC to it? If not are you trying to connect the PC Via the wireless?
    3. Do you have a wireless PCI card for the PC, or even a USB one?
    4. How old is the PC and what OS are you running?
    5. What Laptop and router have you got?

Sorry for all the questions it the IT Techie in me :banghead:
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    Sorry Kaz little confused on your message. Let me see if i can get this right.
    You have a PC, Laptop and wireless router.

1. The Laptop has a built in wireless card. Is the laptop connecting to the router?
    2. Does the router have any physical network ports, so you can connect the PC to it? If not are you trying to connect the PC Via the wireless?
    3. Do you have a wireless PCI card for the PC, or even a USB one?
    4. How old is the PC and what OS are you running?
    5. What Laptop and router have you got?

Sorry for all the questions it the IT Techie in me :banghead:

1. The laptop can be connected to the router through a wire.
    2. The router does have phsical network ports but I don't want it connected to the PC full stop.
    3. I dont have any of the ones you said for the pc
    4. Pc is like over 4 years old and runs windows 2000 (is that what is ment by OS)
    5. Got a AOL netgear router and a toshiba (sp) laptop

sorry crap with computer stuff btw.
  • Options
    1. Ok if your laptop is connected via cable atm the moment then we can configure the router, that way then take the cable away.
    2. Ok if you not wanting the PC connected at all then thats not a problem. we can forget about the PC completely (unless you change your mind later)
    5. Is this a router that AOL provide then?
  • Options
    I bought it from Dixsons but its support by AOL or something
  • Options
    Ok cool that make it easier then as its not a pre-configured by AOL. are you on MSN? PM me your address might be quicker to sort it on there instead on posting messages. Oh can you tell me what model netgear it is. WG615 or somthing like that.
  • Options
    I am at work at the moment so not able to say.
  • Options
    np me too, got college after work, but can give you a hand after, if you still need help
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    I have one built in my laptop. Also do I have to link my pc in order to have wireless? My pc is really crap and was only going to use it for my laptop.

With most wireless routers you have to make a cabled connection at some point (to the laptop or a desktop) in order to set up a basic wireless configuration. From then on you can use the wireless function and the only cable you would need in the router would be to the phone line (and the power cable).

Your laptop should have an ethernet port on it that you can use to configure the router. Hopefully it came supplied with a short patch cable to do just that with. See if you have a slot that matches the cable and read the instructions that came with the router as to how to set it all up.

Super.
  • Options
    My friend came out last night to help me sort it out. We connected it with the cable and it worked but when we tried it without it wouldn't work. The laptop was sending things to the router but the router wasn't sending anything back. My friend said that it could be becuase my internal card isn't netgear like my router so there could be a compatability problem. Have order a new card to see if this is what is wrong. If this isn't the case I am just going to sell the card on and then panic becuase we can't think what else could be wrong with it. Does anyone think that maybe it is a compatability problem?
  • Options
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Does anyone think that maybe it is a compatability problem?
    It s possible but not likely. I've played around with them alot in the last 6-12 months, and only had one problem and was with one of the very early cards connecting to a new router.

On both card and router, you have a channel listing (think the default channel on netgear is 5 or it was on my one), check the setting on your laptops card matches that of the router. I assume that your setting it up with the router in the same room so you avoid any blackspots within the house.
  • Options
    I am setting it up in the same room.
  • Options
    thought you might be but thought i'd check.
  • Options
    Yeah I'd say it's fairly unlikely that one wireless card wouldn't be compatible with another, most likely that the SSID isn't set, it's on the wrong channel, or your encryption is out.
  • Options
    how do you fix all of that?