Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crackles in lungs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was in hospital last year and when the doctor came round and did tests and all that, she told the other doctors that she heard a bit of crackles in my lungs. I tried googling it but it comes up with heart failure, which I obviously don't have. Can anyone fill me in on this?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    can be a sign of lots of things, but commonly stuff like infection and asthma. and apparently it's quite common after you breathe out to the point where it's uncomfortable (like when doctors listen to your chest and tell you to breathe out :yeees: )

if they didn't do further tests, i'm guessing in your case it isn't anything to worry about?

and if you're worried, speak to your GP
  • Options
    What were you in hospital with?...cos as Kaffrin says it is not really anything significant, just usually indicative of chest infection or an asthma attack, if you are asthmatic!
  • Options
    usually means a chest infection I think.
  • Options
    yeah they didn't follow it up, i was just wandering what it meant cos i never heard of it before and i was too much of wuss to ask! thank you fro all the help
  • Options
    Crackles, or "crepitations", are just a description of added sounds heard through a stethoscope. As the others have said, crackles are often heard in chest infections and in more serious illness, such as pneumonia, the crackles may be localised to a particular area of the lung. In infections the crackles are caused by the pus in the small airways of the lungs. Fine creps in the bottom of the lungs are heard in heart failure.

In asthma, a wheeze is usually heard on breathing out. The wheezy sounds are sometimes called rhonchi.