Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ways to de-stress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, i am extremely stressed at the moment. And its having its toll on my health; constant headaches, worse insomnia than usual, and i have annoying rashes all over me (cant rememer what the doctor said they are called, but she said it can get worse with stress).

Im having trouble staying sane and concentrating on my all important final year uni work.

I need ways to de-stress. I have a back injury so physical activity is a bit of a no-go and ive tried taking long breaks of relaxing and watching tv etc, while pigging out on chocolate.

Does anyone have any ideas? havent really got time to go to the doctors with all the symptoms plus i know its all caused by stress

Comments

• Options
    Block your time out. Book a time to stop working and stick to it, and by definition stick to the timed slots when you will work. You'll relax MUCH better when you don't feel guilty about taking a break.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Block your time out. Book a time to stop working and stick to it, and by definition stick to the timed slots when you will work. You'll relax MUCH better when you don't feel guilty about taking a break.

good idea :thumb: although because of the fact that i cant sleep, i get up at all different times making it a little difficult to plan my days, and sometimes i will have to go straight to sleep after lectures because im so exhausted from not sleeping.
  • Options
    Try hypnosis. I've bought a book and downloaded a 15min session to relax to and... without even trying I've quit smoking. (after 11 years! Hadn't mentioned it anywhere else because I don't want to jinx myself)
  • Options
    I know you said physical activity isn't ideal, because of your back, but I always find wrapping up nice and warm and going for a long walk is the best way of de-stressing. Sometimes with headphones on, music can really relax me. Or if you're up to it then cycling is good, too.

Have you ever thought about meditation? I don't mean going on some retreat in the wilderness or anything like that, just quiet time with your thoughts. I'm probably starting to sound a bit nuts but aromatherapy can be an excellent stress-reliever, too. I'm almost addicted to Jasmine, Peppermint and Patchouli oil. I usually have them in a vapouriser, but you can add them to bathwater too which is supposedly very effective.
  • Options
    For me, doing any of the following helps me de-stress.

1. Long bath while drinking a bottle of wine or some vodka.
    2. Listerning to some nice loud music.
    3. Play a first person shooter.
    4. Get my airsoft guns out and either setup some targets at home or got to a skirmish. and shot the f*ck out of something
  • Options
    Maybe this spray stuff would help- the one that you can do a sample of and review at the moment, see this thread here

Not sure if it works. I was thinking about doing the trial myself but not sure if I can be arsed!
  • Options
    Youngbull wrote:
    1. Long bath while drinking a bottle of wine or some vodka
    Yup, a bubble bath, a glass of wine, some candles and the door closed to all the noise and hectiness that is my house. I come out of the bathroom an hour later a nicer person ;)
  • Options
    You've all come out with some great ideas, cheers, im definitly going to look into some of that!