Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kicking the habit: out of sight/mind vs support groups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What does everyone think is the better course of action? I think support groups can potentially be a good thing if the majority of the attendees are serious about quitting, but the danger remains that the other members could serve as constant reminders of drugs as well as provide many sources of supply. I joined a group several months ago against my will, although I now do rather enjoy it-and it unfrotunately had the negative effect of getting me in deeper than I had been since high school. Unlimited connections, plenty of readily available peeps to take shit with, laid back fun-loving people everywhere...you get the idea. In retrospect an out-of-sight/out-of-mind approach would have been more effective in my opinion. It's the only way it will ever help me, at least. But I'm only one man. What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    I tried to put together a group over the summer for quitting meth. It ended up failing terribly. Like you said, the reminders and the ease of getting drugs was ridiculous. We used to meet on an abandoned beach and people used to come to the beach trying to sell or score drugs. It was obnoxious.
  • Options
    I tried to put together a group over the summer for quitting meth. It ended up failing terribly. Like you said, the reminders and the ease of getting drugs was ridiculous. We used to meet on an abandoned beach and people used to come to the beach trying to sell or score drugs. It was obnoxious.
    Yeah basically agree with everyone that they have their advantages but they also have the disadvantage because of the putting together users.
  • Options

How long did your group hold out?
  • Options
    How long did your group hold out?
    3-4 weeks. we tried to meet 4 times a week. We kicked it because it was not helping.. oh well
  • Options
    Ah well, my group is still ongoing, but has pretty much been a failure as well. I just continue attending because most of the people there are my friends...

...the fact that most of them have serious hookups doesn't hurt either...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    It would really help if you had professional guidance to do this, and a methodology that made sense and allowed you to work through the stages of quitting, its a really difficult thing to do unsupervised. The danger is that it reenforces negative feelings. I would strongly advice you get professional guidance on this one...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    It would really help if you had professional guidance to do this, and a methodology that made sense and allowed you to work through the stages of quitting, its a really difficult thing to do unsupervised. The danger is that it reenforces negative feelings. I would strongly advice you get professional guidance on this one...
    totaly agree.
    in a rehab setting it is controlled by councilors. there is a set order to each days events etc.
    once people have been clean for a while thers always alcos anon or narcotics anon ...not my cup of tea but works for many many people.
  • Options
    Sorry, but professional help costs money...not to mention the atmosphere gets too tense, which isn't my thing at all. I'd only consider this if I had some kind of serious problem. As it is, I'm a fully functional user with a great life, so it's not a huge concern for me. We have a very dedicated leader, and I applaud him for that. It's getting better now, but there's no way the entire group will go clean. It has helped me in one sense though...it's taught me to be more hesitant into getting others involved. I can handle being a regular user while maintaining an acceptable level of self control myslef...but that doesn't neccesdarily mean that others will be able to. I pretty much only take shit with my other regulars that I know can handle the lifestyle with a level head without becoming addicted...
  • Options
    Sorry, but professional help costs money...not to mention the atmosphere gets too tense, which isn't my thing at all. I'd only consider this if I had some kind of serious problem. As it is, I'm a fully functional user with a great life, so it's not a huge concern for me. We have a very dedicated leader, and I applaud him for that. It's getting better now, but there's no way the entire group will go clean. It has helped me in one sense though...it's taught me to be more hesitant into getting others involved. I can handle being a regular user while maintaining an acceptable level of self control myslef...but that doesn't neccesdarily mean that others will be able to. I pretty much only take shit with my other regulars that I know can handle the lifestyle with a level head without becoming addicted...
    your blathering and you don't know diddly shit about who will and will not become an addict.
  • Options
    :wave:
  • Options
    I'm making a genuine effort to limit those I affect (ie: individuals I consider easily influenced or with little self control), which is more than can be said for most users, so fuck off an point your criticism at someone who desn't give a damn about others. The people I'm currently using with have been taking drugs for years without getting hooked. We enjoy using, but we don't NEED a fix. As far as I'm concerned, they're the safest people I know to take drugs with, as there is no pressure to go overboard and we're not tempting anyone else by keeping to ourselves when using. I can't predict whether in the future any of us will become addicts or not, but fucking hell I'm doing the best I can to keep things where they are, so get the hell off of my case...

...if one of us falls, the others will pull them back up.