Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you belive in global warming?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I surely do. I remember when I was young, there was always inches of snow at Thanksgiving time (late november) There was always at least a foot for chirstimas. Now, its February and there is not one bit of snow anywhere. Thats how its been for quite a while. I'm in dumb as science as I am in math and english skills, but I can guess that going from half a foot of snow 3 months ago to absoutly nothing in February means something...

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    how can you "not believe" in global warming? =\
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    how can you "not believe" in global warming? =\
    By becoming a Militant Christian! You evil heathen scum! Global warming is an evil lie spread by the enemies of God!
  • Options
    i do believe in global warming. i happen to have seen the movie: the day after tomorrow.
  • Options
    kazuki wrote:
    i happen to have seen the movie: the day after tomorrow.

That's unlikely to happen.

Yes there is a such thing as global warming.
  • Options
    kazuki wrote:
    i do believe in global warming. i happen to have seen the movie: the day after tomorrow.

Films, made in hollywood, are 99% fiction, including those "based on a true story" or "based on actual events"...

Still, global warming is occuring, holes are growing larger in our ozone layer, and one day, the whole planet will cook. Thing is, my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandkids might be around to see it... but probably not even them.
  • Options
    Bush says global warming is fake, obviously he's never been to the midwest in winter :p
  • Options
    A bit. I know the stuff that anything fossil fuelled vehicles/industrial stuff pump out isn't good.

The climate could be undergoing natural changes, but maybe maybe the hot climate (before the ice ages) was caused by volcanoes spewing the same cack into the atmosphere?

Dunno.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    By becoming a Militant Christian! You evil heathen scum! Global warming is an evil lie spread by the enemies of God!
    what are you talking about?
  • Options
    hell yeah. the summers are getting hotter and winters colder. anyone that says theres no such thing is mistaken. As to the film The Day After Tomorrow. i do believe thats the sort of things that could happen (maybe not as soon as in the film), but with all the freak weather over the last few years (and increasing) its easy to see where they got the idea from.
    The other theory i've seen is that when the polar caps melt then the weight of the water will make the earth topple on its axis.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

only the dark sided ones believe in global warming
  • Options
    Watching a report on 60 minutes tonight. They interviewed the scientist that Reagan hired to essentially say, "global warming doesn't exist." He said that due to his findings, if all factories, all power plants, and all internal combustion engines were to be stopped tomorrow and never used again, the world would still heat up by about 1 degree in the next 100 years (enough to melt the poles). And that's from the guy that REAGAN HIRED!
  • Options
    *tentatively puts her hand up* I'm glad this isn't in P%D or this could be the start of an arguement but... I don't believe in global warming, I have no reason to. This doesn't mean I won't believe it but yelling Of Course It's True we've known about it for ages, doesn't make it true or make me more likely to believe it.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    *tentatively puts her hand up* I'm glad this isn't in P%D or this could be the start of an arguement but... I don't believe in global warming, I have no reason to. This doesn't mean I won't believe it but yelling Of Course It's True we've known about it for ages, doesn't make it true or make me more likely to believe it.
    ....and the scientific evidence?

this isn't in P&D because there really isn't anything to debate.
  • Options

this isn't in P&D because there really isn't anything to debate.

true, the only thing up for debate are the causes
  • Options

Yes, it is questionable.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Yes, it is questionable.
    do you believe that smoking can cause cancer? There's no direct proof that it is a carcinogen, just a ridiculous amount of data that all point to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Yes, I do believe smoling can cause cancer, but that's a different question. There really is no need to be cocky about the 'scientific evidence' of global warming though, what about what the 'scientific evidence' warned of global COOLING? My problem with the whole global warming thing isn't really whether it's hapenning, more how significant the current data is and how much we are responsible for.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Yes, I do believe smoling can cause cancer, but that's a different question. There really is no need to be cocky about the 'scientific evidence' of global warming though, what about what the 'scientific evidence' warned of global COOLING? My problem with the whole global warming thing isn't really whether it's hapenning, more how significant the current data is and how much we are responsible for.

global warming is a general term for climate change, and despite the "warming" name, local cooling is also a result of this process :)
  • Options
    when people generally ask if you believe in global warming, they are asking if you believe the current theory of our emissions being the cause or at least a major contriutory (sp?) factor. As for global/local cooling, I was pointing out the contrast in scientific opinion where GLOBAL cooling was warned of immediately preceeding the current warnings of global warming, for the reason that scientific evidence or theory is only the best current fit, or even most popular rather than 'best'.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    My problem with the whole global warming thing isn't really whether it's hapenning, more how significant the current data is and how much we are responsible for.

Whether or not we are largely responsible for the increased rate of global warming (which, by the way I believe we are), the fact is that it is still occuring.

And we are most definitely going to be feeling the effects very soon down the line, not several generations, but 5, 6 or less. With the melting of polar ice sheets, rising sea levels will have a huge effect on human life, well-being and economical stability. Millions of people will die.

So the real question is not "are we responsible?", it's "what can we do to to reduce the effects?". There is no doubt that lowering carbon emissions will have an effect on global warming, whether or not it is enough is of course up for debate. But the scientific consensus is that we are reaching a 'tipping point', at which things will suddenly start to get a lot worse very quickly. And most think this will be within a few decades.
  • Options
    Katralla...you can't ignore the fact that we're doing the damage to our environment. What is questionable is the extent of damage being done.
  • Options
    That the climate is changing seems relatively certain, but why and how much damage we are doing and how much would have happened without us is up for debate.

That's not to say we should do something, even if it is changing by itself there's no reason why we should help it speed up.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    That the climate is changing seems relatively certain, but why and how much damage we are doing and how much would have happened without us is up for debate.

That's not to say we should do something, even if it is changing by itself there's no reason why we should help it speed up.

Exactly. :yes: