Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What gives this boy the right to...

refuse to sign the Sex Offenders' Register?

This is what I'm talking about:
There was a 14 year old boy who forced a 5 year old boy to do some sex acts on him and the like. The 5 year old told his mum what had happened and she spoke to the boys mother. The mother of the 5 year old called the police. The boy (14 year old) was questioned about this. He was then given the choice as to whether or not to sign the sex offenders' register. Nothing more was done about this. How on earth can he get away with something like this? of course, if it was an 18 year old, he certainly wouldn't have got away with this... :rolleyes:

This was mentioned in News of the World today, btw.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

There was a 14 year old boy who forced a 5 year old boy to do some sex acts on him and the like. The 5 year old told his mum what had happened and she spoke to the boys mother. The mother of the 5 year old called the police. The boy (14 year old) was questioned about this. He was then given the choice as to whether or not to sign the sex offenders' register. Nothing more was done about this. How on earth can he get away with something like this? of course, if it was an 18 year old, he certainly wouldn't have got away with this... :rolleyes:

It's mad, more should have be done.

At 14 you are already aware of a lot of things and know what you are doing
    when doing such things.

Unless the 14yo kid is a special case that we do not know the details, I don't see why they haven't done more.
  • Options

News of the World, then it must be true.

I don't know the laws on this, but I don't think somebody under seventeen can be put on the sex offenders register. Its also very likely that this young man has been abused himself.
  • Options
    id be wary of judging a case based on what the news of the world say/.
  • Options
    Don't know "News of the World" but I guess it is crap then right?
  • Options
    A 10 year old boy would know its wrong never mind 14! Its pathetic, I feel I rant about James Bulger's murderers approaching so I'll stop myself before I say it.
  • Options
    but it was the news of the world, nevermind normal sensational media cover, this is the creme of the crop
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]
    I don't know the laws on this, but I don't think somebody under seventeen can be put on the sex offenders register.
    [/QUOTE]

Since when?
    Its also very likely that this young man has been abused himself.

Still doesn't make it right though.
  • Options
    thing is, why havnt any of the other mainstream papers picked up on this, maybe they just thought it was a load of old tripe?
  • Options
    Link to anything reputable?
  • Options
    Link to anything reputable?

I did have a look on the News of the World site just now and couldn't find anything, will have anotyher look now.
  • Options
    its still the news of the world though
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Since when?
    So legally they can?

As I've said I'm not sure.
    Still doesn't make it right though.

I didn't say it did.

Do you think somebody wanting to kiddy fiddle is normal?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    If it is true, it is awful.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I think everyone has the right to refuse to sign the sex offenders register. What are they gonna do? Force your hand to sign it?
  • Options
    A 10 year old boy would know its wrong never mind 14! Its pathetic, I feel I rant about James Bulger's murderers approaching so I'll stop myself before I say it.

Not every child would know it's wrong to do something like that. Like other people have said, this kid may have been abused himself. It's very easy to see a story and jump in guns blazing, without knowing any of the details. It doesn't take much for a sleazy rag to destroy a person's life, all in the name of 'public interest'.
  • Options
    I think everyone has the right to refuse to sign the sex offenders register. What are they gonna do? Force your hand to sign it?

I presume it is a figure of speech, there isnt a big book where you have to sign your name, its a database with name, details etc.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

must be true then