Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What can i expect?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If i go to the doctors and explain that i'm overweight and really want to lose weight what can i expect him/her to say or do? Will he/she help me draw up some form of exercise plan / diet plan and stuff like this, as well as doing the usual kind of tests i'd imagine they'd want to do ...

Has anyone got first hand experience of doing this ?

:)

Comments

• Options
    i havnt gone and said hi im overweight,

i went to get my pill and my blood pressure had gone up, as i have a family history of high blood pressure, im overweight and i smoke something had to change.

i chose to loose weight because i thaught it might help me with the eating problem that i have even though i have never told them about it.

i was given a lot of literature about healthy eating, portion size, salt levels, recipes ect. i was given a sheet to fill in with what i eat in a week. i found that that alone helped as i was thinking about what i was eating.

They advised me to do more excercise but i didnt get a plan or anything

i never reallly got any further than that as stress at uni and my lack of willpower/coping mechanisms helped to kick me back to my eating problem but thats another story.

im planning on sorting myself again soon so let us know how you go on :)

good luck

good luck
  • Options
    My doc made me an appoint,ent with the nurse who weighed me and advised me. Then on a voluntary basis i went and got weighed every 3 weeks to shame myself into it.
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:
    If i go to the doctors and explain that i'm overweight and really want to lose weight what can i expect him/her to say or do? Will he/she help me draw up some form of exercise plan / diet plan and stuff like this, as well as doing the usual kind of tests i'd imagine they'd want to do ...

I doubt they will do anythign unless a blood test reveals something diet related like diabetes or cholesteral or high blood pressure.

Would just tell you to join a gym or go running, nothing much else.

I suppose you could ask for a blood test ?

Oh Theres a body mass calculator here which gives you a clue of how overweight you are.

http://www.moneyforums.co.uk/healthcalc.php
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:

Unless you have a medical problem or active symptoms, I can't see the advantage of going to your GP.

If you know why you are overweight (e.g. greed/sloth), it will be pretty obvious what you need to do in order to lose weight. If you want to know the long term consequences of being overweight, by all means have a chat with your GP.

Info
  • Options
    EDN1 wrote:

i was going to the docs a few years back regularly as i was depressed and on one occasion he asked me if my weight was bothering me. i wasnt massively overweight but i had put on about a stone and a half really quickly because i wasnt looking after my diabetes properly and having to take huge amounts of extra insulin. it was bothering me so i told him so he referred me to a nutritionist and also he sent me to see the nurse who would way me and give me support and i went to see her every week. i think he referred me to the nutritionist because i have type one diabetes and because i was already depressed he wanted to help remove one small factor that was slightly adding to the whole thing. i wasnt depressed because i was overweight but becuase i was depressed i wasnt looking after myself. the doc was a great help.
    going to the doc wont hurt give it a go. these are the guys who are wanting people to lose weight becuase of the health complications so it wont be wasting there time, you can only try mrs :)
  • Options
    If i'm honest i know there is something wrong with me, don't ask me to explain it but I just know it. I used to say i would never let a doctor touch me with a needle but i have now changed my mind so if they wanted blood they can take some. I already have IBS but a few people have said to me from seeing the amount of soft drink i intake tha ti could have a form of diabetes. I have quite a number of things i need to discuss with a doctor anyway so losing weight is just one of them.

I wouldnt mind being passed over to a nutritionist tbh, that would be great
  • Options
    if you have diabetes a symptom of this is increased thirst and you would also have to pee lots. another symptom is weight loss. mind you with type two the symptoms can be less noticeable as your body is generally still producing some insulin but with type one which i have the symptoms can be really severe.
    if you have the slightest feeling that you could have diabetes go and get it checked out i cant stress that enough as undiagnosed it can do serious harm to your body.