Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

effective anti whatever adverts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone find the govenments adverts to stop you doing, well whatever their latest campaign mite be effective?

most of the time i find them to be misguided scare tactics.

recently iv been hearing ones on the radio about safe driving that go
it was a blinding sunset and joe bloggs was late to tuck his kids into bed,

now he is the late joe bloggs

i dont know why but if i heard it while i was driving i do think it would make me be a bit more careful.

anyone else find the governments mind games effective or is it all just propaganda?

Comments

• Options
    The one about house fires and getting a smoke alarm fitted (free from the fire-brigade now I think, so not to is sheer laziness and stupidity).

Tag line "Fire doesn't have to kill you, to take your life" works v well.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Best ones were the 'Charly says...'

"Charly says always tell you mummy before you go off somewhere"

charly.gif

You've got to love the gurning little git. :crazyeyes

Recently I've found the motorbike awarness ones very good - most car drivers simply are not aware of bikes on the road.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The don't die before you've lived ones are strange. Whilst I appreciate that teenagers getting hit by cars is horrible I don't see how advertising can really help.
  • Options
    I think they're all bollocks.

If I wanted propaganda, I'd've voted for scruffy fucking red Labour. But I'm not cheap enough.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think they're all bollocks.

If I wanted propaganda, I'd've voted for scruffy fucking red Labour. But I'm not cheap enough.
    :lol:

The adverts do make me laugh though.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol:

The adverts do make me laugh though.

Of course.

I meant in my previous post that I don't vote red because I fucking wash. Dirty bastards.
  • Options
    Most of them are pretty crap. The black warnings on fag packets for example.

I think the phone video one is quite shocking - so it acheives it's desired effect, but i dont think it would really change my driving too much to be honest.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:

Yeah. I was so disturbed I had to light a cigarette to calm my nerves.
  • Options
    imo, anyone who is affected by a drink driving/smoke alarm/running over kids ad is the kind of person who would never drink and drive or run over kids, and already has a smoke alarm.
  • Options
    i hate the ones to do with cars that are on the radio. like the ones that actually play sounds of car crashes and stuff, it really puts me off if im actually driving at the time!
    although the tv adverts which show a car crashing when people dont have their seat belts on (you know, the one where pizza hits the windscreen and it looks like its a bit of body) are good, i think. i mean, i always wear a seatbelt anyway, but i hope itd make people who dont think about it more.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    imo, anyone who is affected by a drink driving/smoke alarm/running over kids ad is the kind of person who would never drink and drive or run over kids, and already has a smoke alarm.

Absolutely. They are a complete waste of time for their intended target audience I think. I wonder how much effectiveness study has been done on them?

From what I remember on Tarrent on TV Australia and New Zealand have much harder-hitting versions of these things that potentially might work better.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:

I think the phone video one is quite shocking - so it acheives it's desired effect, but i dont think it would really change my driving too much to be honest.

i think he intention was to make kids look where they are going
  • Options
    I remember one seat belt ad inparticular that made me start wearing my belt. It was the one where the mum, daughter and son were in the car and the son was in the back behind mum. They crashd and son killed mum cos he wasnt wearing a belt and his body weight made her face hit the streering wheel harder than it would if he was belted up.

Every time I forget to put it on, i get images and put it on striaght away.

I was about 12 when i saw that tho, so I guess I was quite impressionable.