Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

DVDs & computers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lo everyone, can one of you recommend a reliable and safe program with which I can save DVDs to my computer? Purely for convienience purposes obviously.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You mean DVD movies? I think the ones most people suggest are DVD decrypter and DVD shrink.
    Let's see, will you ignore this post because it's mine? ;)
  • Options
    nothing personal but don't you think that's a little childish?

I think a friend of mine has DVD shrink.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Use it then.

And nothing personal (if you say so) but I think not telling me what your problem with me is is even more childish.
  • Options
    i think the pair of you need to be chained to the wall outside, and left there to stare through the window while i drool over my fantastic hoard of sweeties and other assorted tasty and sparkly things :yes:
  • Options
    DVD decrypter or for convenience anything that copys an image, e.g alcohol.
  • Options
    alcohol 120% is a great program. makes images of cd and DVD, creates virtual DVD drive that you can then mount those images too, and burn them if you want to
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok, just to be really specific, I only want to save the DVDs to my computer, just like you'd rip music to MP3 format. Do these programs do that, or just hold to burn?
  • Options
    You can watch the DVD either way. With an image you will have to open it with a dvd emulator, dvd decrypter can make files or an image. With alcohol you can just make an image and watch the DVD with its DVD drive emulato.r
  • Options
    Do these programs come with the emulator, or do I have to download that separately?

Is there anything that will make a file I can watch through realplayer?
  • Options
    Alcohol comes with an emulator and you can use realplayer like when you are watching a DVD. If you use DVD decrypter it will churn out a load of files to "c:/dvd name". Open "VIDEO_TS" to watch it in your default player. If making an iso you will need to download a seperate emulator.
  • Options
    Alcohol will ripp the dvd/cd ,ake an image of it and save it to your HDD (unless you want to burn it), and as i said it creates virtual DVD drives so will play the DVD/CD on that. I do this with some of games that need the cd to run, saves me having to mess around with finding my cd, or swapping between them
  • Options
    Ok, well I think I'll trial the alcohol 120% program, I'll get back to you guys if it's not what I'm looking for.
  • Options
  • Options
    err, what do i do with the file downloaded?

And, now I am trying to use the trial version I'm having problems with that annoying copywrite thingy, how do I get around it?
  • Options
    ummok well kidna ontopic, anyone know any good dvd shrinking software for linux?
  • Options
    I use Super DVD Ripper...

Really easy to use and quite straight forward.

Can also split DVD into VCD.

Only one I ever use.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    err, what do i do with the file downloaded?

And, now I am trying to use the trial version I'm having problems with that annoying copywrite thingy, how do I get around it?

rename .rar and open. one of the files is the full version and its serial.
  • Options
    how does the key generation thingy work?

I'm having a proper retard moment...
  • Options
    i use daemon tools for emulation, if thats any use. Just save an .iso or whatever image to your hard disc somewhere, and 'mount' it to a virtual CD / DVD drive.
  • Options
    Alright, I've used DVD shrink, and that's fine, but how do I get it to save it in just one .avi (for example) file?
  • Options
    If you want to convert it to an .avi you need a program like Nero or TMPGenc to encode the file. If you only want to play the files, you can leave them as VOBs and they'll work fine.
  • Options
    Ok, me again, so... what can I do with a .iso to make it watchable?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ok, me again, so... what can I do with a .iso to make it watchable?
    me wrote:
    i use daemon tools for emulation, if thats any use. Just save an .iso or whatever image to your hard disc somewhere, and 'mount' it to a virtual CD / DVD drive.

I mean, you'd have to have the emulation software on any computer you wanted to watch the thing on, so it might not be ideal if you're planning on making it an .avi and transporting it about - but for backups on your own computer it should work.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/

I use it for games and the like, but in theory it should work the same for DVDs. Its a really small program anyway with a small memory footprint so if it doesn't work just get rid :).

incase you were interested, what it does it creates a fake new DVD drive on your hard drive, and pretends the DVD .iso is in that drive, so it should run like a normal film
  • Options
    Wicked, this is really starting to irritate me, so I'll try that later, and if it works then I have a DVD library, woo!