Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does music affect your mood?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think someone mentioned this in another post a while ago, but do you think that music alters your mood at all. it totally does mine and i tend to listen to certain types depending on the mood im in, me:

Drum n Bass - When im angry or it makes me more angry but i kind of like it in some sick way :eek2:
Happy hardcore/hardcore - When im hyper and bouncy or waiting to go out
Emo - when i feel like singing
Metal - when i feel like smashing things up or jumping around
Dance - when im hungover or just chilling out
Hip hop - when im feeling ruthless or getting ready to go out
RnB - when im getting dressed or just want some background music

Comments

• Options
    I think my mood effects my music.
    Like when I'm drunk I like lame 80's like Tiffany and Ace of Base, while when I'm not drunk I like other stuff. But I've never gotten happy because a happy song is on or down cuz of a sad song.
  • Options
    hell yeah it does. I'll listern to pretty much anything really, but mainly listern to grunge, rock, metal, alt, punk etc... i do like a bit for frank sinatra or RnB (and i meant really RnB 60's-70's not the modern stuff) to chill to every now and then.

I find it effects me more when i'm in the car. if its a nice chilled out song i'll drive along happyly, but if its something like Bad Habit by Offspring, i turn into an arse and start acting like the guy in the song (to quote it "When i go driving i stay in my lane, but getting cut off it makes me insane")
  • Options
    I generally listen to classical music when I want to relax, and the rest of the time it's incredibly mixed depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling.

I agree that my mood influences the music I'm listening to, really, not the other way round. Though listening to a sad song definitely magnifies any sad, mopey state of mind I might be in.
  • Options
    Not really. If im feeling particularly pissed off or down ill put the noisiest songs of the bands i like on loud, Foo's or Qotsa usually.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I think my mood effects my music.
    Like when I'm drunk I like lame 80's like Tiffany and Ace of Base, while when I'm not drunk I like other stuff. But I've never gotten happy because a happy song is on or down cuz of a sad song.
    I was going to say something alone these lines. Except Ace of Base aren't lame :no:

I have become sad because a sad song is on if I associate it with a sad memory... e.g. One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey was played at my friend's funeral and it always makes me a little bit sad to hear the song. Likewise a song I associate with a happy memory can lift my mood a little if it reminds me of a happier time and place.

But unless a song has a strong memory of a certain emotion attached it doesn't affect me much.
  • Options
    music doesn't effect my mood, my mood effects my music. :yes:

Oi - when I am in a good mood
    East Coast Hardcore - when I wanna trash something
    Hip Hop - when I work on hw
    Ska - when I want to dance.
  • Options
    Not really...I sometimes listen to happy hardcore when I'm sad and metal when I'm happy....just music. But sometimes a song will amplify your mood and then there's listening to music on pills...heaven :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Music affects me more high. The Kinks are ACEST high. They're great anyway.

Meh, yeah, suppose it does always.
  • Options
    if it doesn't connect with me on certain levels ...then it aint music in my heart and soul.
  • Options
    I've always like the sound aspect of dance music...it sounds good in my ears but 95% of the time...I can't say much for the musical effort put into it whereas I'll appreciate rock and classical music for that.
  • Options
    Music I hate will make me annoyed and pissed off... Music I tolerate doesn't affect me...
    Music I love make me feel good.. The darker and mader it gets, the happier it makes me...
  • Options
    Yes it does.
    Which is why some music is callec chillout and stuff like that.
    Personally i prefer to chillout to some decent punk though.
    Anything with a pounding bass, or played in my vicinity by other people too loudly, on the otherhand, will make me angry.
  • Options
    really hard pumping trance tunes get me rushing .. even when im sober .. its like a small e buzz