Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cool lookin suits !

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

Where is the best place to pick up a nifty lookin suit from, online or from the high street. I'm 19, and a student so something which looks young, cool but also not TOO pricey - although I haven't got a budget.

I think some of the Topman suits look quite :yes: but I was searching for some other alternatives.

Any ideas please? Thanks in advance :yippe:

Comments

• Options
    I saw one in the burton's window display the other day, the whole outfit was something like £120.
  • Options
    It's all about Burtons, I'd recommend getting a suit tailored specially for you but being 19 you may well get fatter/thinner/taller/shorter in the very near future. :p;)
  • Options
    Marks and Spencer have some really snappy ones actually. I got mine there at the half price sale :D
  • Options
    My suit is from H&M and it's pretty good. There was some reviews in the press about the range they have and I thought I'd check them out. It's 'alf decent Italian wool and the skinny cut is a much better look (on me) than generic black boxes from Burtons/Topman. £130, then there's the white shirt/black tie/pointy shoes to go with that obviously.
  • Options
  • Options
    Next
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    If you go to a department store you get a wider range...
  • Options
    go to next clearance and wait for the sale, suits go down to about £10 if you're lucky enough to get one in time!
    although i am quite baised as i work there :p
    River island do some decent suits as well, never had one from there though so not sure about the quality, all my suits are either from next or burtons
  • Options
  • Options
    I would avoid Burton and Topman like the fucking plague.

Excellent reasoning to back up that otherwise irrational statement.

I found Topman to be the best option for me - a tad over £100, including student discount. Their suits seemed to be the best fit for me (a tall, thin, leggy 18 year old student!), as I always had trouble trying to find a suit that fitted without going down the tailor made route.

Surprisingly, it still fits now, and looks alright. "Proper job", as we'd say.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    go to next clearance and wait for the sale, suits go down to about £10 if you're lucky enough to get one in time!
    although i am quite baised as i work there :p
    I worked at next for a few weeks over Christmas & New Year (2004/05)... it was *hell*.
  • Options
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    id suggest some thing like House of Fraser if you can afford it. they have very nice suits, and you can tell that they are expensive.
  • Options
    I'd go for Next Clearance too, or any other clearance store. Suits don't go out of fashion, so just find one that fits and you can end up with a suit for about £50 or less. I've got a Next Clearance jacket which cost me £10. I prefer that and some plain trousers to my £130 suit which I got from a tailors. Don't pay extra for brand names (you can get a good fitting tailored suit for the same price as a high street designer suit, which won't be made to fit), but do look at the wool content: more = better.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the ideas, I reckon I'm going to go for a Next suit. They all look pretty smart and modern.

Great help people :hyper:
  • Options
    Cool. Try and find someone who works there so you can get a discount too ;)
  • Options
    Thank you.

My reasoning is that I consider them to be naff.

Fair enough!