Home› Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ditching the condoms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Helloo :wave:

A recent survey by playing safely.co.uk revealed that only one in five 16-30 year-olds get tested for STIs before they stop using condoms in a relationship and 73% don't ask their new partenr about their sexual history.

I'm keen to write an article about this and was wondering what your opinions/experiences are?

- When do/did you ditch the condoms when you enter in a relationship? Have you felt pressured to do so by your new partner?
- Do you go and get tested before doing so?
- Do you even bother asking about your partner's sexual history?
- Have you ever had any problems as a result of being slack on the condom front?

Would be great to hear you views.

Ta ;)

Comments

• Options
    I'm 15 - my bfs 17, and we've been having sex for almost a year now.
    I think we first ditched the condoms because a) I went on the pill, and was always worried about them breaking anyway, and b) We both found them a huge turn-off.
    Neither of us needed to get tested, as we were both virgins.. (my bf had fiddled around with other girls before, but they never did with him :s).
    It is a little worrying sometimes, only being on the pill, as sometimes I take it to early to get my period over and done with, and it mucks up my timing for the next month - I end up with a day or two of worrying whether I'm preggers. The clever thing to do would be using condoms aswell, but they're just so horrid.
  • Options
    I'm 19, and my bf is 20, we havent had sex yet, but if we decide not to use condoms i plan on getting tested, he has offered and i said its up to him but he's alwasy used condoms before so I dont really see the point in him doing so.
  • Options
    i was 18 and my boyfriend was 19, we'd been together about 4 months when we ditched the condoms and i went on the pill, i got checked out first and was clear. my boyfriend didnt get checked out as he'd not done stuff with a girl before (bless him)

we've been having sex over a year now and its sooo much better with out condoms :) i cant say we've had any problems because of it, he's pretty good at reminding me to take my pill so between us i never forget :)
  • Options
    Me and my ex both got tested before we stopped using condoms, he wasn't best pleased but i made him. :yes:
  • Options
    - When do/did you ditch the condoms when you enter in a relationship? Have you felt pressured to do so by your new partner?

I was going out with my ex for about 2 months before we stopped using condoms and I went on the pill. I trusted him 100% and he never pressured me; was a joint decision.

No, I didn't get tested before we stopped using them but before I'd always used condoms so assumed I'd be fine and he told me he was, too.

No, I knew that if he'd had unprotected sex that he'd have got tested afterwards.

- Have you ever had any problems as a result of being slack on the condom front?

Yes. 1 lad I had to insist that he wore one and he wasn't pleased! Another was a drunken 1 night stand and we didn't use 1. I can't blame him fully though, I should've taken the initiative. Been tested since then. :)
  • Options
    my boyfriend and i are both 16, and we were going out for 4 months before i went on the pill and we stopped using condoms, two of them broke on us anyways and we thought that me going on the pill would be the best thing. We weren't tested, but we are planning to get tested even if it is a little late. We've both only had 1 previous sexual encounter, and we both used condoms. We haven't had any problems since i started the pill, but i guess we'll know for sure when we both get tested for STI's.
  • Options

We ditched condoms once I'd gone on the pill, about 7 months into our relationship. We'd slept together a couple of times and I felt I could trust him in that way.

We were both virgins beforehand, and neither of us had gone any other sexual activities with other people either, so I suppose it never really crossed our minds. It should have done though. I'd definetely get tested if we broke up and I entered a new relationship - I'd make the lad as well or he's getting no where!

We'd talked about it before we were together, as friends, so we were pretty aware of each others past (or lack of), but had discussed it since as well.

I once took the MAP as we were worried the condom had broken. It was a bit of a nightmare, as due to my extra GCSE subjects and school, I couldn't get to the Family Planning Clinic during it's opening times. My friend in the end had to go for me while I was in class. I don't know whether she just said it was for her or explained the situation..... but it was all such a nightmare, I think that was probably what finalised my decision to go on the pill.
  • Options
    When do/did you ditch the condoms when you enter in a relationship? Have you felt pressured to do so by your new partner?

about 4 months into the relationship, we has been using condoms and sleeping together for nearly 3 months, so it seemed like a good option

Do you go and get tested before doing so?

I didn't no because i had only slept with one guy before hand and we had always used condoms, same with my partner, i probably would have though if the gp had suggested it

Do you even bother asking about your partner's sexual history?

Yeah i was aware of it long before we even slept together.

Have you ever had any problems as a result of being slack on the condom front?

No because i'm still with the same partner

:)
  • Options
    im 21
    Single
    But in the past, i have used condoms until i was in the relationship properly and monogomously.
    Usually when the girl i was with went on the pill or was already on the pill.
    I always like to find out my partners sexual histories if i can do and im happy to share mine if asked by the girl im with.
    I always use condoms with new partners or one night stands if one happens.

So far not had any tests, but never thought i needed to...so far.
  • Options

We "ditched the condoms" last year which was about two years in but we hadn't been having sex the whole time as we live too far apart (he is in Brazil). I had always been on the pill as well anyway but had wanted to use condoms just to be sure.

In the past I have given gob-jobs to complete strangers who I had just meet without a condom. I didn't really know anything about the risks of oral sex in those days and would never have had the confidence to bring it up with any of the guys I was with.

I used to use condoms when giving my current boyfriend oral sex though because I was convinced that he was the type of boy who'd have some disease! But to an extent that was prejudiced of me (although I think the fact that you can't even give blood in the UK after being sexually active in Brazil may have put this thought in my head).

Ur... I haven't been tested. But I was a virgin before I got with my current boyfriend so it's a bit unlikely that I'd have anything... although I did give random blowjobs when I was younger so I probably should get tested.

He has been tested for HIV and some others as it was compulsory to be checked when he was in the army. I saw his test results from the hospital before we stopped using condoms which was basically a long list of diseases with the word 'negative' beside each one.

Yes. I knew exactly what he'd done and when and with whom before he got into my knickers. He knew I was a virgin but didn't ask about anything else in the early days (although he knows now).

No. I'd say that our sex is like 100% better without. We had to go back to condoms for a bit when I was on anti-biotics for a kidney problem and to be honest neither of us could really be bothered with rubber-insulated-sex after having had sex without a condom. But I do recognise the importance of condoms in general.
  • Options
    my boyfriend and i stopped using condoms 11months into our relationship, 7 months after losing our virginity to each other, i went on the depo provera injection, we had had one incident which made us concerned about the reliability of condoms, and we wanted to dispense with the fuss & expense of condoms, there was no pressure.

we were both virgins beforehand, i had done a little bit of foreplay with a previous boyfriend, but he'd not been with anyone else, and that was it.

i knew my boyfriend hadn't been with anyone else.

No
  • Options

We stopped using condoms about 2/3 months into the relationship, i didnt feel pressured he had asked before whether we could not use them anymore and i said no and he accepted that and waited till i was ready, he didnt mention it once after that untill i told him that i didnt want to use them anymore.

No neither of us were tested,

We was aware of each other sexual history and that was probably the reason why neither of us were tested as we was careful in the past and aware.

No problems at all.
  • Options
    When do/did you ditch the condoms when you enter in a relationship? Have you felt pressured to do so by your new partner?
    We didn't use condoms at all in my current relationship. I'm on depo provera.

Nope. I should have done though.

Yes. I know a lot about it. Don't know so much about his history of using condoms though.

Yes. Chlamydia. Couple of pregnancy scares too - in the early days before I went on depo.
  • Options
    In my last relationship we'd had a couple of problems with condoms and neither of us really liked them so she went on the pill.

In my last relationship we both did, we were both fairly sure we were clean, but we thought it couldn't hurt to check.

Yep we both asked and revealed our history to each other

Not really, we just didn't like them
  • Options
    the girl I first had sex with, was the girl I later went on to have sex without a condom with... I knew I was her first and only too, so there was no worry there.

and I had actually asked my parents if there was anything nasty running in the family, embarressing question that was :p
  • Options
    my gf and i will stop using condoms if/when we ever move in together as we think it's foolish for her to be on the pill when we only see each other every couple of months. i've never pressured her to get on the pill and she hasn't said she wants to just yet. i don't think we'll need to be tested as i'd only kissed 1 girl and she'd never done anything with anybody. we know each others which is none besides ourselves. we've always used condoms and had no problems, but then again we've only had sex a handful of times.
  • Options
    Um about 6months into the relationship, a month after I went on the pill. Still used condoms most of the time. It was a mutual horny decision.

No, though we said we would incase of dormant stds. We are both eachothers first on everthing so no STDs...

Well yea... but we were both... (as I said above)

Yes, I had a pregnancy scare because my period was going on 4days late and I'm on the pill. Turns out it was just the stress of starting school again. Im paranoid to not use condoms now, even though it isnt as good.
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend sill use condoms.

I were a virgin but he wasn't (shagged 3 others) Which does worry me because they were all unprotected, so for all I know, I MYSELF could have something now!

I wish he would get tested!! his reply is "I trusted them enough when they said they hadn't anything"

WTF? You just cant believe that! Is it just me? :(
  • Options
    Never used them with the current person for various reasons. Havent been that good at using them before either.

No, But I really should do.
    Yes, I know quite a bit, but not quite enough.
    - Have you ever had any problems as a result of being slack on the condom front.
    Nope. Should get tested for STI's at some point as I had quite a bit of unproteced sex in the past.
  • Options
    I have implanon, a contraceptive chip in my arm. So there was little risk of pregnancy, so i think me and my bloke abandoned condons about a week after first sleeping together. Neither of us were aware of any symptoms of stds or anything, butdidnt think about it too much. However recently i started having irregular bleeding and abdominal pain. It turned out to sideeeffects from the implanon, but I still had to have swabs just in case, and waiting for the test results, knowing that if they were positive we would both have to contact exes, and that one of us could have infected the other...horrible.

Get tested first.
  • Options
    When do/did you ditch the condoms when you enter in a relationship?
    We still use condoms most of the time even though i'm on the pill. I find it alot less messy.

Have you felt pressured to do so by your new partner?
    None at all.

Around the time i went on the pill (about 5 months ago, 6 months in to the relationship ) we were both tested and clear.

I have asked about it, yes.

No.