Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How long before Chlamydia damages?

Well basically a friend of mine has just had an STI check.

She is currently awaiting the results.

If she has Chlamydia, there is a large probability that she has had it for over 3 years.

She is worried that if she has got chlamydia, then this will affect her fertility as she has been told by her doctor that chlamydia damages the falopian tubes or something and blocks them. Now, if she has had it for 3 years, would this cause them to be partially/fully blocked and if so, can this be sorted?

If she does have it, can she find out if their is any permanant damage from having it? eg, blockages in the falopian tubes?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    wow 3 years is a long time. I'm no expert and I could be wrong but I would have thought that would have done a hell of a lot of damage. I know someone who had it about a month and the doctor told her her fertility could be effected
  • Options
    Panorama's show Love Hurts featured a woman with clamydia trying to regain fertility. Her story's about ten minutes in and is rather sad :( Hope your friend is ok.
  • Options
    The video doesn't work for it, what happens in it? Did she regain fertility? How long did she have chlamydia for?
  • Options
    Good googling your-babe. I had NO IDEA about Reiter’s disease in men. Am I the only one who has, up til now, thought that there were no major long term effects of chlamydia for men? I thought the worst they'd get is some discharge and a sting in their tail? Do all you lot know about this Reiter’s disease trigger? I had never heard of it, along with kidney damage, and male sterility! I've known guys who have had chlamydia and been really blase about it, and not caring whether they pass it on either.

AND, 1 in 12 women between 16 & 24!!!!! That's pretty scary, especially as not all women under 24 can be assumed to even be sexually active, really narrowing down the odds. Eeek.

*Prepares to sit on phone for three days solid in order to secure a sexual health appointment next year*. lol. My closest clinic really do make it difficult to get an appointment and are dreadfully under staffed (I presume). You'd think the person in charge of NHS budget / sexual health budget, would rather pool money into preventative and/or early sexual health services than expensive corrective surgery when no such service had been given- so screwed up. How much does a consultation, test and course of antibiotics cost the NHS? A damn sight less than a hospital stay with more and higher trained (payed) staff! Hmmn
  • Options
    Aw sorry, linked with my setting probably. Go to bbc news. click the watch video thing. in drop downs go to programmes. click panorama. click panorama again and a list of the past progs comes up... click love hurts and you're away.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    The video doesn't work for it, what happens in it? Did she regain fertility? How long did she have chlamydia for?
    If I remember this programme correctly, I'm sorry to say, she didn't.
  • Options
    If your local GUM clinic is really hard to get an appointment for you could always try a home testing chlamydia kit. It's better to go to a clinic as they can test you thoroughly for all STIs, but this may be a good back up?

It's impossible for any of us to say how badly affected your friend could be - she needs to make sure her GP gives her a proper examination and advice/guidance on any complications that could have arisen from this.

In the meantime, she could try calling the fpa helpline, which is manned by trained nurses:

fpa
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Web: www.fpa.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 310 1334

:)