Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

sex ed in primary schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friends little sister whos in year 6 has just started her periods. She said that 2 other girls have aswell and they knew nothing about them! I don't remember being told about periods in primary school...seeing as girls are getting them younger now should there be more taught about it? I certainly think so!
Ironically i started mine during my first talk about periods a few days after my 12th birthday! :blush:

Comments

• Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    My friends little sister whos in year 6 has just started her periods. She said that 2 other girls have aswell and they knew nothing about them! I don't remember being told about periods in primary school...seeing as girls are getting them younger now should there be more taught about it? I certainly think so!
    Ironically i started mine during my first talk about periods a few days after my 12th birthday! :blush:

We got some sex ed about our periods in Year 5 and some more sex ed stuff (puberty, mainly) in Year 6.

And yeah, they should be taught more about it. Have they tried talking to the school nurse about this yet?
  • Options
    Yes, they should. And it should be mandatory. And the boys should have to sit in too.

I didn't get any sex ed at all. Unless "right, lads, don't" counts.
  • Options
    We had the basic talk (emcompassing periods, embarassing erections, sweaty armpits, the lot!) in Year 5 and again in Year 6.

My mother and a family friend (who was also my childminder afterschool) actually sat me down and discussed what seemed (at the time) a very frightening prospect, and a big change when you're young and unencumbered. I think that's the way it should be, though of course schools need to be providing an alternate source of this information for young people whose parents perhaps aren't very forthcoming.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    We got it all in year 6. Fairly basic too, not alot about it in detail. Sex Ed is quite shit.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    My mother and a family friend (who was also my childminder afterschool) actually sat me down and discussed what seemed (at the time) a very frightening prospect, and a big change when you're young and unencumbered.

My mu did exactly the same with me - she also gave me a book about it as well.
  • Options
    We had sex ed in year 5/6 too.
  • Options
    i started getting a chest when i was 8! i was the only girl developing when we left. i had no idea what was happening but i didn't really take much notice or care tbh!
  • Options
    *giggle* "She said sex!!! *snigger*

No really. We should be taught more, they mostly just told us about hygeine and that kind of thing.
  • Options
    im called ed, so sex ed sounds good to me... but as sex education goes my talk at primary school was a joke, these boards are one of the best sources simply because you get so many opinions!
  • Options
    folkrocker wrote:
    im called ed, so sex ed sounds good to me... but as sex education goes my talk at primary school was a joke, these boards are one of the best sources simply because you get so many opinions!

Oh my god my boyfriends name is Ed and his friends call him Sex Ed... his friend owns this company and he works for him every once in a while as a consultant and his credit card from there reads "Mr. Sex Ed C..." And his mail gets addressed to him that way...
    Anyways, sorry for the randomness, I just had to share :p

Anyways, very basic stuff in 5th and a little more very basic stuff in 7th we had.
  • Options
    folkrocker wrote:
    im called ed, so sex ed sounds good to me

In a primary school? :eek2:

NONCE!!!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

NONCE!!!

Good shout. Call on the mob! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Mine started in year 4... we had to watch a few videos about puberty and there was a family on a nudist beach.

In year 6 we had more- 6 weeks worth and it was fairly detailed. It covered things like love, relationships and the basics of sex and contraception.

In year 7, at secondary school, we had more but far less detailed than in year 6- and no mention of contraception. Watched a birthing video though which probably served as good contraception for many at least.

In year 8 the tampon lady visited and we got freebies.

In year 9 we had more sex ed and this was the first time that my secondary school bought up contraception (a bit late if you ask me- my school had girls as young as year 7 getting pregnant). My science teacher told us that the longer you keep believing that "all men are bastards" the better which was funny as he was a man.

In year 10 I did GCSE child development and this included a really great sex ed programme- two hours a week for a term- and covered loads of different aspects including relationships- what you want from an ideal partner, STDs including a couple of lessons on HiV and AIDS, contraception, abortion, menstruation stuff, prostate glands, preganancy and birth etc. But this was an optionl gcse course.

In year 11 I was part of a focus group ("randomly selected" my arse) of sex ed in my local area. The standard sex ed was quite poor at my secondary school (for those who didn't take child development gcse). In RE we watched videos about abortion.

In sixth form we got a talk from the nurse for about an hour.

Girls at my primary school had started their periods (a few of them did) and because the girls loos had no sanitary towel bins in them they had to use the teachers loos when they were on :lol:
  • Options
    We never got taught about HIV, AIDS, STIs or STDs...
  • Options
    I think the one aspect my own sex education lacked would be more about sexuality in general and maybe some discussion of lesbian and gay sex.
  • Options
    in year 7 we had one lesson on periods, then did reproduction in science for about a week
    year 8 nothing
    year 9 we had a sex day, did about birth, watched videos, were shown scary pictures etc
    year 10 the nurse came round a few times during tutor period told us about condoms, how to put them on, how tests are done
    year 11...nothing yet, aparrantly getting a lesson on child abuse

not that great tbh, 2 girls in my year have had babies already and i know loads in year 8 or younger are having sex
  • Options
    In 7th grade there was a group called ENABL, and they would come in cuz they were the 15 year old sex wizzards and answer questions. They told us that anal sex was very very bad and by doing it only once or twice, you would no longer be able to control your bowels. :yes: Oh yes, I took a health class in college too, they showed very graphic pictures of nearly every STD. Pussing, oozying penises and vaginas. Attractive, yes.
  • Options
    in primary school i dont think we got any sex ed at all. in year 6 we had a nurse come round and tell us about periods and gave us free samples but that was it. The boys got very little in primary school, they stayed for part of the talk but then they got booted into the playground when the tampons came out
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my god, i was so much earlier than all of you, i was about 7, and we had to watch a video of a naked man and woman parading their 'bits' around their house, and we were taught about periods and what to use then. and i girl in my class started her periods at 9, and on my 8th birthday i thought i had...but it was actually that the dye had run from my new cycling shorts! :blush:
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    my god, i was so much earlier than all of you, i was about 7, and we had to watch a video of a naked man and woman parading their 'bits' around their house, and we were taught about periods and what to use then. and i girl in my class started her periods at 9, and on my 8th birthday i thought i had...but it was actually that the dye had run from my new cycling shorts! :blush:
    Cycling shorts were so cool :thumb:
  • Options
    I learn't it from TV more then anything!!

When I was little and before there was daytime TV like Richard And Judy BBC2 and CH4 showed nothing but educational programmes meant for schools to video tape whilst we're all at school and play back in lessons. BBC 2 would show all the open university programme and chanell 4 had it's own thing for school.

So there would actually be naked people on TV at like 2pm in the afternoon as part of a sex educational video.

A few times I was home sick and these things were on TV :eek2:
  • Options
    I bought my daughter a book called 'hair in funny places' when she was four. She liked it, asked a few questions and absorbed it as... just life. The questions were: so my dad put a seed in you and the seed grew into me? Answer: yes. Can I put a seed in my tummy and have a baby? Answer: nope. My friends mom is having a baby, did her dad put the seed there. Answer: yup. I think sex education in schools lacks, what's the word I'm looking for- when something slots into place and is relevant to a person's reality. They teach it as though it were removed from the fumblings you actually might have at the school disco. Hmm, badly expressed, brain no working.
  • Options
    well, my mum taught us pretty young. i think i knew the basics by the time i was 6. we had this great video called human conception about how babies were made. twas very complicated but it explained it well

we didnt' learn anything in school until we were in year 8 i think
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Although Sex Ed isn't compulsory in schools in England and Wales, there is a section in the non-mandatory part of the curriculum KS2 that describes that children should be aware of how the body changes as they approach puberty. Most schools (that I have been in) then take this one step further and tell them about sex too.

It is also mentioned in the Scottish 5-14 Guidelines in the Health Education bit at Level D, which is P6/P7 (normally). However, again, the Scottish Guidelines aren't mandatory.

I do think that sex ed should be mandatory and if I end up in upper KS2 then I shall definitely include it in my teachings. I was taught about sex in primary school and although I didn't really learn anything it was useful.
  • Options
    It should definatly be more structured. Like maths or english is taught to a universal level by a certain age, it should be the same. Everyone should have been taught about the mechanics and the biological changes the come with puberty and then about relationships and contraception before they are 12.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Ballerina wrote:
    ...seeing as girls are getting them younger now should there be more taught about it? I certainly think so!

It's not a new thing - my Mum got hers when she was 10. I started sex education when I was in year 4, but my Mum had already told me about periods by then. I guess it depends on the school, but I think it's important for both parents and schools to make sure their children aren't ignorant when the day arrives.
  • Options
    We had our first sex ed in year 5. We watched video's on all the basics, i can't remember learning anything new or that my parents hadn't discussed with me already, or i hadn't read somewhere..

Same happened in year 6, we watched some videos bassically on the same stuff.. periods and other changes, sex, giving birth.

Then in year 8 the tampon lady came for like an hour and gave us a talk and this year in citizenship we've had talks about underage pregnancy, bringing up children and STD's.

I learned alot more from friends, TV or the internet, or from talking to my parents when i was younger. It really does need to be improved.
  • Options
    i cant remember what we had when, but we definitely had some in year 5 and 6 and probably something about sex/periods every year up until year 11ish. i knew most of it all anyway because my mum had already talked to me about it and got me books and stuff. i think it's important for schools to make sure they do start it at a fairly young age, but parents should be helping too.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

NONCE!!!

We didn't have sex ed as such in my primary school because it was a pretty strict catholic one, but the boys and girls had separate talks each about puberty and stuff. When I was in Primary 7 a girl and guy in my class claimed they had sex, which at age 11/12, is actually horrific, but goes to show that wether or not you have sex education people who are stupid enough are going to do it anyway.