Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alternatives to an 18th birthday party

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well i'm turning 18 this year and although it's still way off my mum has started "planning" already. She wants me to have a big party with all my friends and family because she never got to have one and although i appreciate the thought it's not what i wanted, i wouldn't mind having a party if it was just a few family and mostly friends but she wants the entire family including great aunts and uncles and a buffet! and i may sound selfish here but i would be so embarrassed in front of my mates. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other ways of celebrating an 18th.

Comments

• Options
    Have the family thing then go to the pub with your mates after maybe?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    why dont you have 2. one for family and a few mates, and then another one with just mates. or you can hire a place with 2 rooms, and basically family will stick together and vice versa. believe me, you will want an 18th party, you will regret it if you dont. especially if you're not paying for it!
  • Options
    i had a few drinks with friends at home then went to a club and got wasted...
  • Options
    money is a bit of an issue, i would of just gone clubbing but i'm the oldest out of most of my mates and so they'll still be underage
  • Options
    my alternative 18th party consisted of 80 bottles of stella and a shed load of all sorts

that was good shit :thumb:
  • Options
    Alternatives to an 18th birthday party

A 19th birthday party?

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood and thus of no help whatsoever.
  • Options
    A 19th birthday party?

Sorry, I'm in a silly mood and thus of no help whatsoever.

Oh god I thought the same thing :(
    And then I thought, fuck, why does everybody on here have such fun birthdays? I sit at home and do nothing out of the ordinary. Not since I was like 10 did I do anything for a birthday. I always feel like a loser cuz everybody else always has so much fun :crying:
  • Options
    Every single birthday I have ever had since the age of 13 has ranged from midly depressing to absofuckinglutely miserable because every September 6, the nation and possibly the world is in mourning for the anniversary of Princess Di's funeral. Bitch x 1000.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Every single birthday I have ever had since the age of 13 has ranged from midly depressing to absofuckinglutely miserable because every September 6, the nation and possibly the world is in mourning for the anniversary of Princess Di's funeral. Bitch x 1000.
    Im not. I might laugh if it is on TV though.

Ah well. Go absolutley mad this year. Get very drunk and laugh about the various jokes about Diana's death.
  • Options
    i just had two rooms... and yeah, family stuck to one, mates in another, all came together to cut the cake.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Oh god I thought the same thing :(
    And then I thought, fuck, why does everybody on here have such fun birthdays?

You obviously have no idea how I spent my 15th birthday then...
  • Options
    I never had a party for my 18th. Instead me and my boyfriend went to a hotel and had a romantic night. Then I had a meal with my family the next night and then I went out with my mates pubbing and clubbing.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    You obviously have no idea how I spent my 15th birthday then...
    well..?
  • Options
    I didn't have a party for my 18th either - though they were a big thing - most people in my year had one and invited most of the school year to it if I remember correctly....

Though having said that my 21st was totally over the top (angles and devils fancy dress) with a Marquee, DJ and a Bouncy Castle and as it was a joint one with my friend some people went in the swimming pool as well.

I'd say have a party - i've been to soo many funny parties with a mixture of friends and family and they have always been great - you don't even have to have separate rooms as long asyou have tables people will tend to congregate towards the one where they know the most people!!
  • Options
    Both my sisters and myself got the choice of do we want a big party for our 18th or 21st. we all went with our 21st. For all of them we had friends and family there. wasn't so much of a big deal as all my friends are as big a pissheads as my family. Plus i can only remember the first 1hr of the party, my mates were on mission to get me really really hammered. it worked too.

As to alternative suggestions. what about a meal for the family then go to the party with your friends. If family must go, why not ask your mum if they can all leave early. From what you said your mum is doing this because she never had one. Explain to her that its for your 18th so YOU should have some input into what happens. it might hurt her a little but she should understand.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    well..?

My cousin's 1st birthday party. (And no, he doesn't share a birthday with me) I was going to go to a football match instead, but didn't. Last year (for my 16th) we went out for a meal and then my dad took to me a football match.
  • Options
    and i may sound selfish here but i would be so embarrassed in front of my mates. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other ways of celebrating an 18th.

:eek: You're nearly 18 and you havn't yet learnt to cope with the embarrassments of family... it's gunna happen sooner or later, I say feel the fear and do it anyway ;)
    I had a family/friends thing and it was really fun. My mum got bladdered and nearly threw up on my sisters shoe.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote:
    :eek: You're nearly 18 and you havn't yet learnt to cope with the embarrassments of family... it's gunna happen sooner or later, I say feel the fear and do it anyway ;)

Exactly what I'm doing! My mum started planning my 18th birthday party the beginning of last December.... I'm not 18 til this November....