Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni applications down 3.4% across the UK

Apologies for launching two P&D threads in the space of a few minutes, but I can't be blamed if it's a busy news day. :p Anyway, some figures;

Applications to start in September 2005 - up 8%.
Applications to start in September 2006 - down 3.4%
Applications to Scottish universities - up 1.6%
Applications to Welsh universities - up 0.5%
English students applying to uni in England - down 4.5%
English students applying to uni in Scotland - up 1.9%
*figures from the University and Colleges Admissions Service. (UCAS)

Full report here.

Overall, I'm not surprised. After all, if you can get your university education cheaper by going to a different part of the country, you might as well do. My other concern is whether this is a temporary drop, or the start of a more long-term fall in numbers. I've also seen reports that fees will rise again in 2010. They may be speculation at the moment, but another rise would, I feel, be highly detrimental. Either way, higher education is facing a very testing time.

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Figures were up last year as less people took gap years before starting university, instead they opted for cheaper fees.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    OU is the smart, non debt way to get your degree these days. If all you were going to get is a substandard knock off from a polyversity you might as well save yourself the arseache and do it part time wjile earning.

Ironically if you left school and went straight to the OU you could have a degree, and cash in the bank by the time your contemporaries had left 6th form.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    OU is the smart, non debt way to get your degree these days. If all you were going to get is a substandard knock off from a polyversity you might as well save yourself the arseache and do it part time wjile earning.

Ironically if you left school and went straight to the OU you could have a degree, and cash in the bank by the time your contemporaries had left 6th form.

actually true

also vocational courses are undermentioned, nothing wrong with less applicants if its because it's people realising they're best off not going to university

some univerisites have terrible dropout rates, mine doesn't thankfully, mainly because the people who put in an effort to come to the one i go to, have worked out their lives priorities better so feel less like dropping out

like im seriously letting luby know she's better off just doing her BTec in sound engineering stuff and trying to get work after, as all she needs to learn are the basic skills, she dont need to do a degree in music tech
  • Options
    It could be a good thing less people going to uni.
    Means universities wont be so stretched with pupils toaccoodate an dmore people will be going into practical jobs like building and plumbing and so forth, jobs we are in need of not having enough of.
  • Options

also vocational courses are undermentioned, nothing wrong with less applicants if its because it's people realising they're best off not going to university

Vocational college courses are becoming more and more popular too...

I'm doing one... and I could easily go study things at Univeristy after, such as Business and stuff... but why would I pay all that money when my free education has qualified me to do the job I want to do?
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    It could be a good thing less people going to uni.
    Means universities wont be so stretched with pupils toaccoodate an dmore people will be going into practical jobs like building and plumbing and so forth, jobs we are in need of not having enough of.
    Yeah, but are these people not applying because they aren't good enough, or because they can't afford it? If it's because they can't afford it, then the overall standard of university students will drop, because many of the best students won't bother going because they're worried about debt.
  • Options
    Misleading statistic. Uni applications were up 8-9% last year and this year's drop is just a correction towards normal trend.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Would you be able to cope with degree level work at 16? And complete a 'part time' degree in less than two years? I don't get how that could be possible. If you mean a genuine degree that is...
  • Options
    Would you be able to cope with degree level work at 16?

I did say the "smart" way to do it.
    And complete a 'part time' degree in less than two years?

Yeah fair enough, my chronology is out. You'd only save yourself two years and the colossal debt. Even if you spent four years doing it you'd still save a year and the debt. Even if you took 5 years you'd still save the debt.

Even if you took 6 years you'd save the debt and have 6 years work experience, a jop and cash in the bank.
    If you mean a genuine degree that is...

Notice my "polyversity" remark? If your going to oxford or something or seriously think it's on the cards then Uni is for you. Most people don't. Massive debt for a degree that'll get you a job on factory workers money? No thanks!
  • Options
    if you cant afford uni you can get student loans for it.
  • Options
    one of my uncles has done about 15 degrees from the open university in all sorts of random non useful stuff (like theology / music / etc.) but he just keeps doing them!