Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Me = irate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So yeah, as some of you may know I have a 'hidden disability' called dyspraxia, I was diagnosed when I was twenty and now at twenty two I am pursuing a degree in Kingston. My learner support teacher pointed out that I may have Irlens and that tinted lenses may help... This is because the lights cause a lot of discomfort for me and so does reading in a bright room... This is worst in lectures because I find it hard to concentrate because some have these awful bright lights (ever noticed how the lights buzz too? HOW ANNOYING)...

Anyway, she suggested I go to this place in Kingston that tests for Irlens and the guy phoned me after I left my number there. He said that the test can be helpful to people with 'problems' but won't cure then (really? No shit! I thought they would cure my dyspraxia and help me pursue a career in figure skating!!!), he also said that before I have an Irlens test I need to have a full eye examination... His practice doesn't deal with the NHS...

So yeah, £200... I mean what the fuck?

If my Mum hadn't gone to the local MP in Wrexham I wouldn't have got the funding to get a dyspraxia diagnosis in the first place (it costs in to the hundreds just for an assesment that takes an hour or two... Yet around ten per cent of the population are dyspraxic!) and because of this diagnosis I have gone to university and am getting help with it... If\I hadn't had the diagnosis and support off friends I probably wouldn't be pursuing a career and most jobs I would find hard to keep in my area...

So yeah... It's all money fucking money.

The amount of people who's lifestyle could improve, the amount of people who are suffering from depression or feel useless because they have difficulties like these... And they're charging £200 a fucking session!!!

daylight fucking robbery.

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    thats a bit shit.
    I dont have much constructive to say, but wanted to reply :)
  • Options
    gone to the local MP :yes: make noise, directed towards people who can actually do something, at a time that makes political sense for them. Could you try the same tactic again? Do any NHS regions cover this, is it a case of postcode gamble (or whatever the prase is)?