Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drinking problem?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm only 17 but lately ive recongnised that i've been drinking alot. On a normal night i drink about 3 or 4 cans and on fridays i drink a lot. I say to myself i shouldnt drink tonight just to prove i have the power to stop drinking but always feel its stupid to do that and just drink anyway. I dont know what specifies a drinking problem, but how much do you guys drink normally? just so i know ive got nothing to really worry about.

Comments

• Options
    i don't think 3 or 4 cans is a lot. i would say you have a drinking problem if it starts to get out of control and youre drinking large amounts quite frequently and it causes memory loss and disrupts other areas of your life like work or uni for example.
  • Options
    If you feel that the drink is taking over your life then you have a problem. I have worked with recovering alcoholics and those people could not stop drinking, some would drink all day everyday others would hold full time jobs down but would have to drink when they got home because the need to drink took over.
  • Options
    others would hold full time jobs down but would have to drink when they got home because the need to drink took over.

My dads like that.

I wouldn't say you have too much a problem...it's good to have a sociable drink...start worrying when you find the need top drink to block out problems.
  • Options
    The difference between having a problem with alcohol and being dependant on it is basically whether or not you have to drink. If you choose to drink in the evenings, but can abstain if you decide to then I wouldn't say you are dependant but that doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Are you using alcohol as a mood suppressant/enhancer? Do you just drink because you genuinely enjoy it? Do you drink alone? What are your reasons for drinking every day?
  • Options
    I think if you think you have a problem you have.

It's not the amount you drink that say if you have a problem or not.

From what you said seems like it is already a problem for you as you can't
    pass a day without drinking.

So, weirdly enough, when you can't go without it, it is call an addiction and an addiction by definition is a problem.
  • Options
    oh i misread it, i didn't realise he drank every night and then even more on a friday.
  • Options
    He's not physically addicted lets get that one clear. But psychologically quite probable.

I drink 2-3 sometimes 4 days a week. But I'm in uni...that's excusable...I certainly don't sit about in the house drinking by myself.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    He's not physically addicted lets get that one clear. But psychologically quite probable.

Physical addiction vary by people.

He doesn't seem to be, but people can have physical
    addiction even if they use less amount of drink or other than
    others that do not get addicted with more.

For example women tend to become addicted to alcohol more easily than men.
  • Options

out of interest, why do you always write your posts like a poem?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I used to drink similar amounts when I was 17-20 but I calmed down, same with my mates. You may find you do the same.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    out of interest, why do you always write your posts like a poem?

I have never realise my posts look like a poem tbh.

Why do you mean by that?
  • Options
    I have never realise my posts look like a poem tbh.

Why do you mean by that?
    you start a new line mid-sentence after so many words, rather than just typing.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    you start a new line mid-sentence after so many words, rather than just typing.

I always wrote like that. I use paragraphs.

I think it is much clearer to read and also allow to separate different points in a post.
  • Options
    I always wrote like that. I use paragraphs.

I think it is much clearer to read and also allow to separate different points in a post.
    you start a new line MID sentence, like a poem.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    you start a new line MID sentence, like a poem.

Well maybe I am just poetic then ;):lol:
  • Options

It takes years though to develop a physical addiction....for any person.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    It takes years though to develop a physical addiction....for any person.

Yep for sure you don't get addicted that quick fortunatly.
  • Options
    Are you using alcohol as a mood suppressant/enhancer? Do you just drink because you genuinely enjoy it? Do you drink alone? What are your reasons for drinking every day?

Drink to enhance mood i suppose, but i genuinely enjoy it too. Yeh normally drink in my room by myself and drink just i suppose because its relaxing and can just sit back and think about the day. I don't think i have a problem, well i hope i dont, just wanted to see how much everyone else normally drinks etc.
  • Options
    what do you do with the rest of your time?

when i was a student for example i'd easily do 80-100 units a week.

now i work full time i probably do about between 40-60 units a week.

which my doctor says is a lot, but ive never considered myself to have a alcohol problem, i havent read everyones replies but with alcohol problems its not usually the quantities you drink its more the reasons why you drink.

personally i drink in a social environment only.
  • Options
    try checking out this website www.downyourdrink.org.uk

It has information about what is 'problem-drinking' and how this differs from alcohol 'addiction'; some questions and things to see how your drinking is affecting your life (so you can decide if you think it IS a problem); a chart to record how much you drink to get a picture of it; and if you do want to cut down, there is a program on there to help you do it. :)
  • Options
    I sometimes have a few cans, even if im in on my own...though heavier drinking iw ill do when with others

I understand why you're doing it... sitting around after you've had a few is a lot more fun that sitting there totally sober right? It just seems easier to think and stuff...

It might be an idea to cut down a little though, maybe decide a couple week days where u won't drink at all or something?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I sometimes have a few cans, even if im in on my own...though heavier drinking iw ill do when with others

I understand why you're doing it... sitting around after you've had a few is a lot more fun that sitting there totally sober right? It just seems easier to think and stuff...

It might be an idea to cut down a little though, maybe decide a couple week days where u won't drink at all or something?

Yeh think thats exactly why i do it, and yeh you're prolly right, next week will not drink on a certain day or two. thanks for the advice. :)
  • Options
    A few more resources for you:

Responsible drinking

Drinking problems

Drink aware - has a really good drinks diary you can fill out to see how much you're really drinking.
  • Options
    i drink when i go to nightclubs and i usually get through 5 wkd and 2 sminrn off ice before i get to feel any affect. i use to drink volka and coke but worked to well and found myelf in the toliet for the rest of the night
  • Options
    like that not much.how much do other people my age drink? and it every few weeks not every week
  • Options
    the ammount you drink has little bearing on wether or not you have a problem.
    lots of physicaly hard working guys drink beer every night ...with no problems.
    if your drinking comes before food hygiene family rent etc etc ...you have a problem.
    lying about your drinking is also a sign of a problem.
    asking ...have i got a problem ...can also be a pointer.

my youngest daughter has a drink problem.
    she drinks probably once a week ...makes a complete arse of herself and upsets just about everyone.
    she has a drink problem ...everyone around her is effected by her behaviour.
  • Options
    i drink 4 or 5 cans per night.i work full time and i think i would be lying if i said that i dont have a problem,because is does affect my work.i find it hard only to have 4 or 5 cans,and some nights i will have more.this fucks me up the next day and feel like shit all day.i get memory loss,lack of concentration and make stupid mistakes.i think my advise would be,try to go 2 or 3 nights per week without alcohol.if you can,then you dont have a problem imo.if you cant,then you have.