Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Laptop Advice Plzzzzz x

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, well, my parents are thinking about sorting me out with my own pc before I start my a-levels in September... I'm hoping for a laptop, because I have a teeny-tiny room, with no space for a computer, plus it'd be useful to have something portable..

Anyway... it really would need to be cheap, and preferably up-to-date, and have memory for games, possibly a wireless modem. Does anyone have any advice on where to start? For instance, is there anywhere reputable I could get one second-hand? What about Dell?

Thankyouu x

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm using a Dell one now, which was pretty cheap. Nothing amazingly powerful or special but it does the job. You might struggle to get a decent Graphics card for your games, all the laptops I've ever seen have wank graphics.
  • Options
    Dell seems like a good option..not too fussed about gaming, except I'm desperate for the Sims. Will probs have a budget of £500, more if I'm incredibly lucky.
  • Options
    http://www.dell.co.uk/tv sometimes has some good deals, you never know.
  • Options
    If you're a gamer who likes to play up to date games with the best graphics, then Dell is usually a no no. Have a browse around and make sure you know exactly what's in the laptop.
  • Options
    Some laptops come with good video cards - but you'll likely struggle to get something capable of playing modern games for little cash. I know the Dell Precision line used to have good cards, can't comment on their recent offerings though.
  • Options
    I'd say check out the following companies.
    Dell
    Mesh
    Asus

Dell aren't that bad for gaming. just need to buy the higher end one. I work as in installation engineer installing Ship training simulator and we use Dell laptops for all our sales guys.
  • Options
    id personally say to stear clear of dell, they are good for servers and high power desktops but not much else. Also good for people who dont know anything and jsut want a computer.
    you can get a reasonable laptop for about 300-400quid In Scan Computers and other palces.

checkout
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.laptopshop.co.uk
    www.ebay.co.uk