Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

to dye for...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone else find themselves picking a hair colour based on how hot the girl on the front of the box is?

i can be really put off shades with fugly ladies on the front.

Comments

• Options
    LOL, I know I somehow think my hairs gonna look better/younger/funkier with one of the dyes with sexy youngsters on the front, than a box of belle color or grecian 2000 (although belle color is quite a good dye tbh)
  • Options
    LOL, I know I somehow think my hairs gonna look better/younger/funkier with one of the dyes with sexy youngsters on the front, than a box of belle color or grecian 2000 (although belle color is quite a good dye tbh)

it is. although i avoid buying it cause i find it hard to shake the idea that it might magically turn me into a middle-aged lady :/
  • Options
    no i think i tend to jus go for the colour!

but i think their skin colour and style of hair would influence me.
  • Options
    i tend to delude myself that im going to end up looking as good as the girl on the front of the box, yet sadly i rarely do.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    does anyone else find themselves picking a hair colour based on how hot the girl on the front of the box is?

:lol: My friend always used to do that (but he's male, so what more can you expect ;p) which is why once his hair ended up 'intense flame red' so now he makes me pick.

My hair has been the same colour for 5 years, but they changed the woman on my box a couple of years ago and now i have some bint that has blonde hair and brown eyebrows, and it's like yarg i hope i dont come out like that.
  • Options
    It annoys me when you're wanting to become an unnatural redhead, but then they put a natural redhead on the box... :banghead:

Ilora x
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

i can be really put off shades with fugly ladies on the front.
    Great! I never notice the women....but guess what I'll be doing in the future now :banghead:
    :p
  • Options
    ah yes. this once dissillusioned me that i'd make a fantastic 'pillar box red' and ended up ginger for quite a long time
  • Options
    I'm the queen of hair dye disasters. Hey, I like experimentation!
    1. I tend to go for people who are fit, yes.. without taking my own skin colour and eye colour into consideration, hence the disaster element.
    2. Belle colour is rather good, indeedy. And may I add, on special offer at the moment :yes:
    3. I've had 3 ginger experiences. Funny thing is I have a natural red tint to my hair.. and was a bona-fide strawberry blonde when I was six, I've got the photos to prove it.

After several years of trying to achieve the perfect hair shade for me, I've now decided to go back to my original light brown. C'est la vie. I must have spent a small fortune on dying my hair (and fixing cock-ups)..
  • Options
    Dyed my hair about 2 weeks ago... woman on the front had a bad hairstyle, but the mid-brown colour I wanted... came out black :(. Combined with my blonde streaks, I looked like a gothic wasp. Had to intensive condition it 4 times to lighten it up.
  • Options
    i am sad to report that i am not enamoured with 'light golden brown' (it's bloody auburn) despite how fit the box chick was.

should have bought the one i was put off cause the girl was rank :(
  • Options
    Come on do tell, how ginger are you :p

I have not come across one hair dye that ever comes out the colour it is on the box, so i think it is a general case of whack it on and hope for the best.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i am sad to report that i am not enamoured with 'light golden brown'

What brand was it? I'm almost sure thats what I dyed my hair last time, and if its the same brand then I know what you mean :p
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    Come on do tell, how ginger are you :p

according to my workmates: the tinge of ginge is less strong in this one (i was a kind of faded dark blonde before with a reddy hue). the shock is how dark it is. i look like a ginge goth :(
    I have not come across one hair dye that ever comes out the colour it is on the box, so i think it is a general case of whack it on and hope for the best.

totally. but usually you can kind of guess what itll turn out like from previous experience. lordy knows i've had my share of hair disasters in the past... :shocking:
    What brand was it? I'm almost sure thats what I dyed my hair last time, and if its the same brand then I know what you mean

l'oreal colour experte. but i think most brands do a light golden brown. i've done the same shade before (in different brands) and it's always come out really nice next time i'll stick to belle colour :grump:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i am sad to report that i am not enamoured with 'light golden brown' (it's bloody auburn) despite how fit the box chick was.

should have bought the one i was put off cause the girl was rank :(

yes, its ginge. i had that one. it was a kind of purply ginge, but gingey nonetheless.

why is it so bloody difficult to dye your hair a normal light brown? mines bloody honey-blonde now, much lighter than my natural shade. So true, colours on box/names of colours are soooo misleading.
  • Options
    I know mine was l'oreal something.... I'm giving up and shaving my head next time though, tescos hate it when the see me coming in and heading to the dye section
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    according to my workmates: the tinge of ginge is less strong in this one (i was a kind of faded dark blonde before with a reddy hue). the shock is how dark it is. i look like a ginge goth :(

Do we get a picture :p

Is it rectifyable (is that even a word) or are you just going to leave it and hope it fades a bit.

I've given up with hair dye ever since mine went grey instead of brown, i'm too scared to try another colour apart from blonde, ha.
  • Options
    it actually looks ok in the picture.

it's just that my bathroom has one of those truth mirrors (yeah, you know the ones) and shoddy camera phone quality is much more forgiving.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think it looks lovely! And I just got rid of my truth mirror and found one distorted in favor of the vertical instead, highly recommended as an instant confidence booster!
  • Options
    i think it looks nice! but you could use either wash and go or head and shoulders if you wanted to fade it a little. you're really pretty btw :)
  • Options
    it looks lovely!

i hate truth mirrors. :grump:
  • Options

i'm getting used to it a little. it's still a bit harsh against my skin, which doesn't come across in the pic, but i think i'll like it when it's faded a bit.

on truth mirrors: you need to get a webcam. everyone looks hot on them :yes:
  • Options
    I think it looks nice, more chocolate-y than auburn in the picture :thumb: